Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. jhzafrani's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello All,

    One of the software packages that I missed the most when switching from a Blackberry to a Pocket PC was Berry411. For those of you who are not familiar, Berry411 is an application that allows users to find information very quickly. It is essentially an interface around Google's various services.

    I decided to write an application and am releasing it as beta (more like alpha) for people to try out and let me know what they think. It is attached to this thread. Simply download the zip, extract the CAB file, place it on your Pocket PC and execute it to install the application.

    When the application is run for the first time, it will ask the user to setup the three locations that the application will use. Those are home, work, and other. The format of the location can be anything from a full address to just a zip code. Only one location is required for the software to operate correctly. Once the initial configuration is done, the main screen of the application will be presented. To use, simply select the location (home is the default), enter the search term, and select from the search menu the type of search you would like to perform. All results are presented in Pocket IE.

    Currently, there is no support for other browsers (coming soon). Also, this application requires the .Net Framework compact edition version 2.0 to be installed.

    I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, and reports of issues.

    Thanks in Advanced,

    Jim Zafrani
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2. #2  
    I downloaded it and will give my review tonight. thanks, cody
  3. #3  
    Neat idea for an app and it's small. Good sign!

    --When I type in someting for yellow pages, it just brings me to a the Google Local page but I have to re-type my location and search (again) for the results. It would be better if it can just go to the results.

    --H, W and O are not selectable as of now

    --When I type in "Jackass 2" and use "Movie" search, I get a listing of movies and years but that's it. Wouldn't it be better to bring up their movie times (at least that's what I thought it'd do)?

    --Google News seems to work very well (takes you right to the story listings)!

    --Ditto with Google Images and Google Search

    --Maybe under "Tools" add a quick erase for the search bar (the history one is a nice feature).

    --Could you have an option to choose browser or would that be too hard? (edit, just read your post!)

    --What about a utility for Weather and Maps?

    Overall I have to say this is a nice program and could be a very popular and lean application. Good work!

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #4  
    **EDIT/UPDATE**
    Upon exiting and restarting the program, Google Local and Movies NOW work as well as ability to Select Locations!

    So now I guess I'd suggest a way to select User location by the Menu/Tools key to avoid Stylus use and maybe the same with search history (I know this is a limit with CF 2.0 as far as selecting fields with the dpad, but any help here to make it 1-handed would be great!)

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. jhzafrani's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #5  
    All,

    A new version is available which corrects all of the previous issues and adds the following features:

    * Weather utility - get the weather for any zip code or city. Enter the zipcode, city, or country in the search term and select the weather from the search menu.
    * Search for movies without putting in the movie name - if the search term is blank and a movie search is performed, the returned list will have all movie theaters in the area and their showings.
    * Search for top news - if the search term is blank and a news search is done, then the returned list will be the top news.
    * Ability to set location via the tools menu.
    * Ability to select previous search term via the tools menu.
    * Ability to select browser application - currently the user needs to enter the full path to the executable. To revert to the default (Pocket IE), cancel the input dialog.
    * Ability to clear the search term via the tools menu.

    As before, I'd appreciate any feedback that I get to make this a better application.

    Thanks in advance,

    Jim Zafrani
    Attached Files Attached Files
  6. #6  
    Jim,

    Very nice additions (especially the "blank" searches!). This is going to be a very useful and simple app.

    Some feedback:

    Under Tools, it would be useful to maybe have a seperator and then a "Setup" option, launching a sub-screen giving the ability to Set Browser and Change Locations (and anything else that may get added later) since these are things rarely changed (I'd imagine) plus it'd reduce any clutter.

    In place of those, under Tools if you can add two functions:

    1) A way to toggle between the Search For and History boxes. If you pop out of one, you can't back into the other without the stylus. Once again, I know these are limits with CF 2 so the Soft menu is probably the best bet.

    OR is it possible to have the Search history done via a cascading sub-menu (limited to a certain size)? Then you can just just bring up Tools --> History --> x, y, z. Selecting it will put it in the Searh For box. That'd be great and useful for frequently searched for items.

    2) A way to toggle your current Location settings (for H,W, and O) via the soft menu

    Also, when the program begins it'd be nice to have the blinking cursor start in the Search For box so you can just start typing away. Right now it's in a kind of a neutral position (or maybe in History).

    Likewise, when you clear Search Term, it'd be neat to have the cursor right there to start typing again (or maybe leave that to the soft menu key?).

    I guess the only dream request would be to program this in C++ instead of CF 2 (it's slow to load) but since this is free...

    Finally, thanks for making this app! Good stuff.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/05/2006 at 02:56 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7. jhzafrani's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Jim,

    Very nice additions (especially the "blank" searches!). This is going to be a very useful and simple app.

    Some feedback:

    Under Tools, it would be useful to maybe have a seperator and then a "Setup" option, launching a sub-screen giving the ability to Set Browser and Change Locations (and anything else that may get added later) since these are things rarely changed (I'd imagine) plus it'd reduce any clutter.

    In place of those, under Tools if you can add two functions:

    1) A way to toggle between the Search For and History boxes. If you pop out of one, you can't back into the other without the stylus. Once again, I know these are limits with CF 2 so the Soft menu is probably the best bet.

    OR is it possible to have the Search history done via a cascading sub-menu (limited to a certain size)? Then you can just just bring up Tools --> History --> x, y, z. Selecting it will put it in the Searh For box. That'd be great and useful for frequently searched for items.

    2) A way to toggle your current Location settings (for H,W, and O) via the soft menu

    Also, when the program begins it'd be nice to have the blinking cursor start in the Search For box so you can just start typing away. Right now it's in a kind of a neutral position (or maybe in History).

    Likewise, when you clear Search Term, it'd be neat to have the cursor right there to start typing again (or maybe leave that to the soft menu key?).

    Finally, thanks for making this app! Good stuff.
    Malatesta,

    Thanks for the feedback. I will release another version later on today so please be on the lookout for it.

    As far as your suggestions go, the second option in #1 for the search history via a cascading sub menu was implemented. It is the 2nd menu from the top in the tools menu. The 2nd option was also implemented as the top menu in the tools menu. Please let me know if your version does not contain it.

    Thanks again for the great feedback.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhzafrani View Post
    Malatesta,

    Thanks for the feedback. I will release another version later on today so please be on the lookout for it.

    As far as your suggestions go, the second option in #1 for the search history via a cascading sub menu was implemented. It is the 2nd menu from the top in the tools menu. The 2nd option was also implemented as the top menu in the tools menu. Please let me know if your version does not contain it.

    Thanks again for the great feedback.
    I'll certainly look for it.

    Good to hear about those other options. I must not have gotten them in this build (or I'm seriously missing them!). Attached is a screen shot:


    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. jhzafrani's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #9  
    Malatesta,

    Apparently, either the wrong version was attached or the install did not uninstall the previous version. In any case, attached is a new version. Please try it out and let me know your thoughts.

    Jim Zafrani
    Attached Files Attached Files
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhzafrani View Post
    Malatesta,

    Apparently, either the wrong version was attached or the install did not uninstall the previous version. In any case, attached is a new version. Please try it out and let me know your thoughts.

    Jim Zafrani
    There we go!

    Yup, it's all there now and dare I say it looks very nice! Great work!

    Although now I'm out of ideas...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #11  
    Ha! Thought of something that'd be useful but I'm not sure if it's possible/feasabile...but you can decide that.

    --> Reverse phone directory for looking up numbers

    Now, I'd imagine that's pretty easy to setup. Simple add another search itme, tie it to some directory e.g. http://m.yp.com --> Reverse Lookup

    But...could you tie it into say our Call History!

    In other words import the call history (limited to say the last 5 or 10 numbers) via some type of sub-menu (or some other method) so that you can just import a number directly and then reverse look it up.

    That'd be so cool! Maybe that's beyond the scope of this program but hey, I gotta push the boundaries (plus you might like the challenge!)

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. jhzafrani's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #12  
    Malatesta,

    Great suggestion! Attached is a new version that implements your suggestion. It adds a new submenu to the search menu called Reverse lookup. This menu updates based on the call log and brings in any number in the call log which is not a known number.

    Please take a look and let me know if you experience any issues or have other suggestions. I was thinking about making it configurable as far as the types of numbers to show (missed calls, all calls, incoming, outgoing, etc...)

    Thanks again,

    Jim Zafrani
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhzafrani View Post
    Malatesta,

    Great suggestion! Attached is a new version that implements your suggestion. It adds a new submenu to the search menu called Reverse lookup. This menu updates based on the call log and brings in any number in the call log which is not a known number.

    Please take a look and let me know if you experience any issues or have other suggestions. I was thinking about making it configurable as far as the types of numbers to show (missed calls, all calls, incoming, outgoing, etc...)

    Thanks again,

    Jim Zafrani
    OMG that is so cool!

    I like how it works now: bringing up only "unknown" callers which is exactly how I would think most people would use it.

    As far as making it configurable: maybe, leaning towards no. Personally I'd hold off unless others make a strong case to add it. I just couldn't imagine many scenarios where this would have to be done mobile.

    Re: other suggestions. I can think of one more thing that may or may not be something desired:

    Add another search engine but for PocketPC freeware/.cab files. There are two sites that are good candidates:

    http://mobile.pocketpcfreeware.com/i...p?lang=English

    or maybe http://www.freecabs.de/ (but I can't find a "Search" system there, which would defeat the purpose...maybe you can find it?)

    Now I can certainly see a good use for this as I'm frequently trying to look for apps "on the go" but that's me.

    The first site has a great search engine but they don't host files whereas the second one I can't find the search engine but they specifically host the .cab files.

    Well, you decide if it's worth it and which to use if so.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14. #14  
    Grate app.....

    While performing a search, I type in what I am searching for and an error message pops up "Pocket411 has ecountered an error: NullReferenceException". When I hit OK to clear error message the search menu pops up. I am then able to select the search media and my search results appear.

    Any ideas on how to eliminate the error?
  15. jhzafrani's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wny1mxo View Post
    Grate app.....

    While performing a search, I type in what I am searching for and an error message pops up "Pocket411 has ecountered an error: NullReferenceException". When I hit OK to clear error message the search menu pops up. I am then able to select the search media and my search results appear.

    Any ideas on how to eliminate the error?
    Thanks for the feedback. This might be a redundant question, but which device are you using? Also, when the menu does come up, does the reverse lookup menu contain any sub menu items?

    Thanks again,

    Jim Z.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhzafrani View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. This might be a redundant question, but which device are you using? Also, when the menu does come up, does the reverse lookup menu contain any sub menu items?

    Thanks again,

    Jim Z.
    I am using a Treo 700w. No sub Menus are contained in the reverse lookup menu. I also noticed that in my program menu I have to of the icons to start your program. One of the Icons has "(1)" underneathe it.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wny1mxo View Post
    I am using a Treo 700w. No sub Menus are contained in the reverse lookup menu. I also noticed that in my program menu I have to of the icons to start your program. One of the Icons has "(1)" underneathe it.
    I am getting all the same problems...using a 700wx
    <a href="http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Trabuco.html?bannertypeclick=miniDial">
    <img src="http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=miniDial&zip=92679" border=0
    </a>
  18. #18  
    Weird/dumb question for the folks who aren't getting the Reverse Phone numbers to show up in a sub-menu:

    Do you have "unknown" numbers in your call history e.g. numbers of people not in your contacts? Because that's all this shows right now--it doesn't bring up your entire call history.

    If you do have those numbers and they are not showing up, how far down your call history list are they e.g. are they old or very recent entries?

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19. jhzafrani's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #19  
    All,

    Thanks for the feedback. Attached is a new version that corrects the issues discovered. Please let me know if you have any further comments/questions.

    Jim Zafrani
    Attached Files Attached Files
  20. #20  
    jhzafrani,

    Sounds like a great app! By any chance that there will be a version that doesn't require CF 2.0?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions