Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I'm seriously divided at the moment. Once the memory was doubled on the 700w with the 700wx I was ready to jump from Palm OS (Treo 600) to Win Mobile, a 700wx.

Then a co-worker showed up today with a Cing 8125. I'm a bit infatuated. It's mostly the increased screen real estate but still a keyboard. An easier KB to use.

It also has WIFI and supports BlueTooth A2DP.

SOMEONE PULEEZ tell me what shortcomings I am missing in the Cing 8125 as opposed to the Sprint 700wx!?!?!?! ANY and ALL advantages/disadvantages!
    Exposed keyboard.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    navigating Windows Mobile on ALL the other devices is cumbersome. I have used them all for weeks at a time and can honestly say the Treo is the one that does it right.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    Exposed keyboard.
    Ok, I think I get what you're saying but to clarify you're saying the extra step to slide out the KB is a disadvantage? This is true and I'm weighing this.

Thanks for the input!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor View Post
    navigating Windows Mobile on ALL the other devices is cumbersome. I have used them all for weeks at a time and can honestly say the Treo is the one that does it right.
    This may be most certainly true. I haven't had a Win Mobile Treo in my hands and will have to camp at a store, but is it REALLY that much diff? The 5-Way seemed to be dialed in well on the 8125 BUT and it's a BIG ****, I haven't had much exposure to the Win Mobile OS at all.
    Well then ask yourself if a bigger screen, wifi and better bluetooth are enough to get you to buy a Cingular 8125. I was interested in the TyTN for those reasons. Plus the 3G. That model is also coming to Cingular.

Another thing to think about, Sprint is iffy when it comes to customer service. Although everything is cheaper there, be careful if your phone is lost or stolen, you may get no help from CS!! Plus billing errors. That was my experience with them.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/06/2006 at 04:42 AM. Reason: OOPS!! Wrong phone model!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hi DA,

When I got sick to death of the joystick after a year I got the 8125 and the MDA to see which I liked better. Of course I chose the 700wx.

8125:
    -pros-
    1) No antenna.
    2) Big screen with good enough resolution.
    Well made D-pad.

-cons-
    1) Slow processor causes web page rendering on this device to be as slow as my old Kyocera 7135 and its 44 meg processor. Not joking!!! Google "Cingular 8125 slow browser internet" and you will find 10 times more complaints rhan any device currently offered!
    2) There are issues with the integration of the KB. On the treo you can speed thew menus and such by hitting the corresponding letter on the KB. This doesn't work well on the 6700, MDA or 8125.
    3) The bigger KB doesn't equate to eased use. Its just not designed well.
    4) The backlight on the 8125 isn't as lousy as the 6700 but it is still lousy. The backlight on the treo makes it extremely user friendly.
    5) After a year sliding out the KB is stressful.

Anyone who chooses an 8125 over the wx deserves what they get chuckle, chuckle
    I would not get the 8125 for the simple reason that Cingular will be releasing the updated version, the 8252, soon.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/1...g-on-cingular/
    Anyone who goes back to Sprint also deserves what they get!

Wait for the 750 to get to Cingular if you really need a Treo.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    I would not get the 8125 for the simple reason that Cingular will be releasing the updated version, the 8252, soon.

That's the branded TyTN. I'm waiting for it too! Although I really should get an unlocked one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's the branded TyTN.
    That's correct.

You can get an unlocked one now.

http://www.dweiniger.com/
    I've used the 6700, the 8125, the 700p, and now I have the 700wx. By far, the 700wx is the superior device. Believe me, the increase in screen real estate is nothing to get that excited over, because if you end up hating the other interface aspects of your handset, that screen's not going to make up for it!

700wx if you can't possibly wait; otherwise, I agree with The Phone Diva, wait for the 750 on Cingular.
    END OF LINE
  13.    #13  
    Well then ask yourself if a bigger screen, wifi and better bluetooth are enough to get you to buy a Cingular 2125. I was interested in the TyTN for those reasons. Plus the 3G. That model is also coming to Cingular.

Another thing to think about, Sprint is iffy when it comes to customer service. Although everything is cheaper there, be careful if your phone is lost or stolen, you may get no help from CS!! Plus billing errors. That was my experience with them.
    That's nice but I gotta have qwerty.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr View Post
    Hi DA,

When I got sick to death of the joystick after a year I got the 8125 and the MDA to see which I liked better. Of course I chose the 700wx.

8125:
    -pros-
    1) No antenna.
    2) Big screen with good enough resolution.
    Well made D-pad.

-cons-
    1) Slow processor causes web page rendering on this device to be as slow as my old Kyocera 7135 and its 44 meg processor. Not joking!!! Google "Cingular 8125 slow browser internet" and you will find 10 times more complaints rhan any device currently offered!
    2) There are issues with the integration of the KB. On the treo you can speed thew menus and such by hitting the corresponding letter on the KB. This doesn't work well on the 6700, MDA or 8125.
    3) The bigger KB doesn't equate to eased use. Its just not designed well.
    4) The backlight on the 8125 isn't as lousy as the 6700 but it is still lousy. The backlight on the treo makes it extremely user friendly.
    5) After a year sliding out the KB is stressful.

Anyone who chooses an 8125 over the wx deserves what they get chuckle, chuckle
    Good input. Thanks.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post

Ah yes. Good info. Definitely calmed me down and got the wallet back in my pocket.
    DaThomas

If you are a heavy phone user, you might get alittle frustrated with no exposed keyboard. As a data device, you will probably like the 8125 better. If you are already a treo user, the transformation to windows mobile might be easier if you go to the treo.
  17.    #17  
    Anyone who goes back to Sprint also deserves what they get!

Wait for the 750 to get to Cingular if you really need a Treo.
    This is a point as it will support A2DP which is REALLY important to me if I'm to get those bluetooth Plantronic cup headphones with super-geek extender mic.

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    DaThomas

If you are a heavy phone user, you might get alittle frustrated with no exposed keyboard. As a data device, you will probably like the 8125 better. If you are already a treo user, the transformation to windows mobile might be easier if you go to the treo.
    Definitely a dilema. Always exposed KB ready for action vs. increased landscape oriented screen.
    Choosing a convergence device is like choosing a spouse: it's a combination of personal preferences (what you must have and what you can't stand) and what happens to be out there. If you get it wrong you are stuck or you have to pay through the nose. Each hardware/software combination of convergence device has concomitant strengths and weaknesses, possibilities and limitations; none is perfect!

Having said that, I own an MDA (=8125), after having owned a 600 and a 650 for about 3 years in all. The claims that Windows M5 is cumbersome are downright bogus! The claim is often repeated, but repetition does not a truth make. Any standard windows/mac user (and who isn't these days) will find the interface extremely familiar and navigable, more so than they would POS.

The claim that the MDA is as slow as a 7135 in web page rendering is equally bogus. I have provided tech support for a firm using the 7135, and believe me there is no comparison. I have overclocked my MDA and can use the processor intensive Skype over GPRS or Wifi (oops, I forgot... the Treo doesn't have this built-in). The problem the poster mentioned might be with the DNS server' the proxy server, or the connection itself.

Anyway, feel free to play the field, sow your wild oats...who knows what may catch your fancy. Just beware of those who married the wrong gal and are now in the denial and justification phase. This is after all TREOcentral. You shouldn't expect neutrality.
    There is no comparison between the 700wx and every other device on the market. The Treo is FAR superior. From user interface to form factor to battery life the Treo blows away the competition. Unless your fingers are like banananas typing is a breeze. I opted for the 6700 on Verizon becuase of all the benifits I associated with a full slide out kb and bigger screen. Hogwash!!! The slide out keyboard is a pain, expecially if you like to shoot off quick resonses. You need two hands everytime. Dialing is a chore and half also. I dumped Verizon to get the 700wx on Sprint. The service, both voice and date, is comparable.

I have used the Treo 650, the 700W, the 6700 and the Q. The treo is better than all of those devices, combined.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast