Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well then ask yourself if a bigger screen, wifi and better bluetooth are enough to get you to buy a Cingular 2125. I was interested in the TyTN for those reasons. Plus the 3G. That model is also coming to Cingular.

Another thing to think about, Sprint is iffy when it comes to customer service. Although everything is cheaper there, be careful if your phone is lost or stolen, you may get no help from CS!! Plus billing errors. That was my experience with them.
    As someone who supports a lot of carriers, I can say that this a false statement. All carriers have the same issues, it just depends on your particular account. It is the price you pay for not putting up your own towers.

Andy
  2.    #22  
    Ok, I think the comments on the slide out KB being a pain in the a$$ are sinking in and reducing the effects of the siren song of the larger screen. Thanks for the cold shower.

One issue remains though, A2DP. I guess that means I'll just have to wait for the 750. That will be hard to do.
    I'm confused about the poster referring to my post. The Cingular 8125 is as slow as my Kyocera.

The Cingular 8125 has a 195 MHz processor which equates to slow rendering. However the wx moves along very nicely with its 312 MHz processor. Whether Sprint vs Cingular signal strength has anything to do with it, I don't know. It must since the T-Mobile MDA has the same processor and it wasn't as slow as the 8125.

Also another con for the 8125. If there is a extra capacity battery available I'm sure it will be as huge as the 6700s fat high capacity battery.

This is not an issue with the wx.
    Hey not:
    It is a well established fact that the rated MHz of a processor does not tell the whole story about the actual speed of the processor, let alone the speed of device. Perhaps your 8125 was defective, or maybe the internal memory was overloaded. It is true that the 8125, like every device I've owned[!], could do with a little more speed and the overclocking utility does help with this). However, to say that an 8125 functions at the same speed as a 7135 is ridiculous. As I stated, I supported 7135's and I know them very well. Your comparison is inaccurate.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I went from a 650 to an 8125. The only two problems encountered were an initial hiccup with ActiveSync and I find the device a little easier to drop.

I love the screen. I love the WM5 experience. I love everything about the 8125 - except the lack of dedicated number buttons. That was (by comparison) the one thing I liked better about the Treos (I had a 600 before the 650). I find it fast enough. I REALLY like having wifi AND bt AND having a 1gb card in the slot (as compared to the impending 750 with an available wifi card and NO extra memory). No device is perfect - they are all a set of compromises in functionality. My 8125 has been FAR more reliable, versatile, and fun to use than my Treos. It's not perfect. I will undoubtedly look at the 750 when Cingular gets them, but my next device will probably be the TyTn derivative. It appears closer to ideal than the 8125 - which I like A LOT.

Frankly, I've had enough of Palm for a while. I used their products for three years with an ever present promise of the "next big thing" just around the corner - only to be dissappointed by very incremental improvements. When they come out with a Treo with satisfactory memory, wifi, bt, 3G, and everything considered standard (not below), I'll consider another Treo. Until then, I'll stick with the slide out kb form factor. I like it!
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Your right about internet speed not relating completely on processor speed. Like I said my T-Mobile MDA with the same processor was a lot faster than the 8125. The memory was 100% empty, I was so shocked by the internet snail crawl that I took it back without ever syncing it. I never bothered checking to see if it was just mine that was slow because I read several reviews that sited internet speed as the number 1 con. Have you ever used it in a non high speed area? There is no EV, no EDGE, no nothing here in southern Missouri, which is what the 8125 needs for it to be faster than my 7135
    Hey not!
    Strange coincidence: I just moved from Springfield, MO three months ago, after living there for 5 years. In that region, unless you are in a city (and there aren't many of those), data really sucks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    That's nice but I gotta have qwerty.
    I meant the 8125, not the 2125, sorry.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor View Post
    As someone who supports a lot of carriers, I can say that this a false statement. All carriers have the same issues, it just depends on your particular account. It is the price you pay for not putting up your own towers.

Andy
    For me it's a TRUE statement!! They had the worst CS I ever saw from a cell carrier.

I will NEVER go back to Sprint no matter what kind of phones they have!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Hey not!
    Strange coincidence: I just moved from Springfield, MO three months ago, after living there for 5 years. In that region, unless you are in a city (and there aren't many of those), data really sucks!!
    I am feeling the pain. I noticed everything moves slow in hillbilly hell. What makes me mad is that I can drive an hour and a half north and get EV in an even more sparse area. What was interesting was that with the 8125 I could still stream the same bit rate radio links, nothing above 48 kbps, same as on the 6700 when down here but page rendering was half the speed. That's why I was guessing it was a rendering issue.

Boy do I miss EV on my 6700 in KC. It was just as fast as my desktop. Of course that's with Norton slowing the desktop

James Paul Ritter
    Hey, while were on the subject of connection speeds I have a question. I am blown away when I seen posts with speed test of 500 or 800!
    In KC I stream what ever station I find on http://mobile.treobits.com/index.php?ind=shoutcast I don't think most of them go over 200kbps. Down Here I have trouble with 48kbps unless I have a strong signal. I actually stay with the 32, 24 and 18 bit stations. When people post that their speed report is 800 does that mean that they could actually stream an 800kbps video?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr View Post
    When people post that their speed report is 800 does that mean that they could actually stream an 800kbps video?
    That's correct.
    Speeds of 800kbps, while still not hard to get(i get 1.3mbps when i go outside my house) are much harder to get than the typical 300-450kbps. Does your area have Power vision? If it does,this is a major, major problem. Call sprint and talk to a tech.

I stream videos from my tv at home at 325kbps, almost never skips, image is crisp and clear. So you really shoudnt be getting those speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
    Does your area have Power vision?

No power anything here in the sticks........ Im here attending a Baptist nursing college.
    I have teh 8125, switched from a treo 650. Waiting for the 750 to come out on cingular - the form factor can't be beat.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr View Post
    No power anything here in the sticks........ Im here attending a Baptist nursing college.
    oh ok that explains, you're still stuck to 1X. =( too bad, i havent gone to ONE single place that had just 1X... EV-DO is unbelievable!

I also had the T-mobile MDA and the PPC-6700... WX beats both of them hands down.. The WX is so good it even feels like its a different platform or something. Devices so alike but so different.
    I had the 6700 for a couple of weeks. The slide out keyboard turned out to be a pain and it was very slow for me to learn how to switch from my Treo 600 to WM 5. Now with the 700WX I'm very happy with WM5. Kinda like having a gun in a holster and when you pull it out it's ready to shoot (700Wx) vs. wondering if it's going to stay in one piece (6700).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12