1.    #1  
    Sprint Treo Support today put me in touch directly with Palm who acknowledged that there is an "unresolved" problem in syncing with Outlook 2003...on a "few" devices (ha!). Something is causing the mobile device to lose its connection with the desktop pc. I am often able to sync without issues for several days at a time .. before eventually running into the error message that says the device can not sync. This past weekend, at wits end, I downloaded Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 but that did NOT resolve the syncing problem which resurfaced again today after 3 days of successful syncing with 4.5

Here is the "quick fix" suggested by Palm to me today.

First go to Programs and open up ActiveSync on your device. If you do not get the screen that shows your desktop PC and the date/time of your last sync, then you will get what is essentially the setup screen. THAT MEANS YOUR DEVICE AND DESKTOP HAVE LOST THEIR RELATIONSHIP.

To fix, first disconnect your device from your desktop. Go to your desktop and open ActiveSyync, select File, select delete mobile device. Thats right...you actually have to delete all of the outlook info from your 700wx!! Then open up a new connection, be sure (most important)to set up the proper file conversion setting so that your desktop outlook files are properly loaded onto your device and begin syncing all over again.

Hey, it only takes a few minutes....that is better than spending an hour on the phone with Sprint Treo support who can do nothing else. It is also better than removing and reinstalling the Microsoft ActiveSync 4.2 like some of us have been doing to resolve the issue. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornem View Post
    Sprint Treo Support today put me in touch directly with Palm who acknowledged that there is an "unresolved" problem in syncing with Outlook 2003...on a "few" devices (ha!). Something is causing the mobile device to lose its connection with the desktop pc. I am often able to sync without issues for several days at a time .. before eventually running into the error message that says the device can not sync. This past weekend, at wits end, I downloaded Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 but that did NOT resolve the syncing problem which resurfaced again today after 3 days of successful syncing with 4.5

Here is the "quick fix" suggested by Palm to me today.

First go to Programs and open up ActiveSync on your device. If you do not get the screen that shows your desktop PC and the date/time of your last sync, then you will get what is essentially the setup screen. THAT MEANS YOUR DEVICE AND DESKTOP HAVE LOST THEIR RELATIONSHIP.

To fix, first disconnect your device from your desktop. Go to your desktop and open ActiveSyync, select File, select delete mobile device. Thats right...you actually have to delete all of the outlook info from your 700wx!! Then open up a new connection, be sure (most important)to set up the proper file conversion setting so that your desktop outlook files are properly loaded onto your device and begin syncing all over again.

Hey, it only takes a few minutes....that is better than spending an hour on the phone with Sprint Treo support who can do nothing else. It is also better than removing and reinstalling the Microsoft ActiveSync 4.2 like some of us have been doing to resolve the issue. Good luck!
    Only takes a few minutes? If you delete the relationship everything has to be re-transferred/synced. With 2k appointments and 1k contacts this can take at least an hour. ...and if you sync with 2 machines you have to do it on each machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornem View Post
    ...an "unresolved" problem in syncing with Outlook 2003...
    It's plaguing me on Outlook 2002, also.

And that's not a fix, it's an unreasoable and unacceptable workaround.

Did Palm indicate if it had a clue as to what was going on or if it was working on an actual fix?
    Last edited by MHR; 10/04/2006 at 02:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR View Post
    It's plaguing me on Outlook 2002, also.

And that's not a fix, it's a unreasoable and unacceptable workaround.

Did Palm indicate if it had a clue as to what was going on or if it was working on an actual fix?
    Unacceptable? Are you saying it's better to be dead in the water?
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Unacceptable? Are you saying it's better to be dead in the water?
    Uh, no. Where did I say that?

But that's also not an acceptable "fix" -- or soultion -- to be provided by tech support. I figured out this "fix" the first time the problem appeared. Now Palm itself is endorsing this method? I'm supposed to just wipe the device clean every few days? Great.

What about contacts or calendar entries I've added to the device? Oh yeah. They get overwritten with this method.

Yes, I call that unacceptable. Indeed, that is not sync at all.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR View Post
    What about contacts or calendar entries I've added to the device? Oh yeah. They get overwritten with this method.
    Well, that's certainly a good point - I hadn't thought of that.

If Palm can't figure it out, I suppose another "temporary" workaround would be to try a free trial of PocketMirror (or something like it).
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    another "temporary" workaround would be to try a free trial of PocketMirror (or something like it).
    That's a great idea.

Are there such things?? I guess so.
    what about a Hosted Exchange account where you can sync OTA?

That's how I 'back up' my contacts, appointments, etc and it's free with 4smartphone or mail2web.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    "DELETE MOBILE DEVICE" does NOT delete your outlook data. Just deletes the relationship. Then when you sync again it will syncronize all of your data again. It takes 2 seconds to delete and another (+/-)10 seconds to get past the initial sync wizard.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    "DELETE MOBILE DEVICE" does NOT delete your outlook data. Just deletes the relationship. Then when you sync again it will syncronize all of your data again. It takes 2 seconds to delete and another (+/-)10 seconds to get past the initial sync wizard.
    Your right Littlepat...sorry I was in a hurry and did not word that correctly...it does not delete outlook data. While not perfect...for me it is decision to either use this "workaround" or just flat return the unit. Because I must have a unit that can sync multiple times daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Right.

And another 20 to 30 minutes to sync the mountains of outlook contacts and calendar data.

Plus the overwriting of anything entered on the device.