1.    #1  
    I will have to say - one of the most inconvenient things about this phone (for me) is having to close messaging every time i get an email. Otherwise i would have no idea there was a new message.. Retarded i think..
    And i know i could buy PhoneAlarm - but i dont want to PAY for something that the phone should already have..

Well - enough whining.. Not the point of this thread.

My question - When i get a new email (with messaging closed) the phone beeps and vibrates.. Then like 4 seconds later, it vibrates AGAIN.. Like i didnt feel it the first time..

Why does it do this??
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    This happens to me too. It's annoying and unnecessary (and probably a battery-killer too).
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I guess it depends on who you are, but both of those complaints you have are features to some. I personally LOVE that you have to close Messaging every time to get the notification. That way I can leave Messaging open at night and not get sounds and vibrations when an email arrives. I'm not sure why Palm added the second little vibration, but it has notified me of an email when the initial vibrate didn't. When in silent mode walking around at work I'm sometimes not sure if I felt a vibration or not, but then the second one happens I'm sure of it. Obviously doesn't fix your dislike of the two features/problems, but there is a reason they have them both that way.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I think I need to explain my problem a little more clearly. When I get a new email via Wireless Sync (data received), my phone vibrates once for a long time and then a second or two later vibrates again very briefly - it's almost as if it's taking what should be one long vibration and separating it into two parts.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    That is very interesting since my phone is the other way around. Whenever a new message comes in, I have a short vibrate followed by a very long vibrate. I have to admit that it is very annoying.

I am not sure, but it could be related to the wireless sync since it does not happen when I get email from gmail or any of the other pop type accounts. This only happens on my exchange account.
  6.    #6  
    I am not sure, but it could be related to the wireless sync since it does not happen when I get email from gmail or any of the other pop type accounts. This only happens on my exchange account.
    This only happens when i get emails via Direct Push Activesync... There has to be a way of disabling it.. Its almost like it vibrates for the new email, then again for the notification..

Weird
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Actually, I was able to confirm that my phone has both types of vibrations. When I get an email through my gmail account, the phone has a long vibrate following by a short one. When I get an email via direct push ActiveSync, it is a short vibrate followed by a long one.

I wonder whether or not Microsoft added this as a way of distinguishing between the accounts...

I also wonder whether or not there is a way to control it via a registry hack. Time to go hunting... :-)
    I had the same issue of my phone vibrating every time a new message came in. I'm not sure if I turned off notifications, but now it doesn't vibrate at all when a new message is in.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I would turn off the vibrate alltogether since it is kind of very annoying (especially when I get around 300 emails a day), but I still want to be informed for important emails.

When I had my Blackberry, I was able to tell it to only vibrate for messages sent with high importance. I have not been able to find out how to do the same with the 700wx.

Is anyone aware of a utility that would do that?
    I'm not sure if this is possible like it is on the Palm OS Treo with chatter. Can we get notifications via the LED?
    Jimmie Geddes
    jhzafrani: Blade (the developer) is thinking of (or already is) working on an email filter. Bruce at Pocketmax.net has also discussed it (he won't intergrate into PhoneAlarm) but he may be convinced to make such a program. As of now, there is no such app tough.

JimmieGeddes You can do this but with PhoneAlarm. Right now it doesn't work perfectly but Bruce has not had a chance to seriously look at the 700w/wx settings, so it should be better equiped in v1.60.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I have had it where a long notification is broken like that when my sound is off. If you have sound on, does it have the ringtone - then cut it off - then play the last half second of it a few seconds later? I chose a shorter notification tone and it seems to happen much less.
    Palm 5000 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony Clie T665 + Tmoble SIdekick > Sony TG50 (+Sidekick) > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > PPC-6700 > Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I'm not sure if this is possible like it is on the Palm OS Treo with chatter. Can we get notifications via the LED?
    Checkout the following (I must admit that PhoneAlarm is must simpler to use and does a much better job):

Change ringtone/vibrate/LED flash characteristics

If you would like more control over how your device rings/vibrates/flashes its LEDs on events, you can can change the Script values of these events. For example, for an incoming call performing 'activate device, play ringtone, wait 3 seconds, repeat':

HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0\Script = "apw3r" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

For performing 'active device, set volume to 33%, play ringtone, set volume to 67%, play ringtone, set volume to 100%, play ringtone (no repeat)':

HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0\Script = "ac33pc67pc100p" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

The following are the full codes available to you. Please note that all the codes are executed simultaneously except after a ringtone play / wait code. E.g. 'v1p' will vibrate and play at the same time, while vibrating for 1 second. But 'pv1' will play the ringtone through all the way first, then start vibrating for 1 second.

a = activate device
    cN = set volume to N in percentage max volume
    fN = flash notification LED for N seconds
    p = play ringtone. Note that this will play the ringtone all the way through before continuing with the next code.
    r = repeat. Note that this should be the last code in your Script string, if used at all.
    vN = vibrate for N seconds
    wN = wait for N seconds. Note that the device will wait this long before continuing with the next code.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    jhzafrani: Blade (the developer) is thinking of (or already is) working on an email filter. Bruce at Pocketmax.net has also discussed it (he won't intergrate into PhoneAlarm) but he may be convinced to make such a program. As of now, there is no such app tough.

JimmieGeddes You can do this but with PhoneAlarm. Right now it doesn't work perfectly but Bruce has not had a chance to seriously look at the 700w/wx settings, so it should be better equiped in v1.60.
    Thanks for the info. Oddly enough, as soon as I installed PhoneAlarm, my symptoms disappeared and now I get two short vibrations and that is it. It also allows for much better control over what happens and the profiles feature is great as well.