1.    #1  
    Check out what was released on Sept 27th...

http://www.fonixspeech.com/pages/spe....php?objid=311

About half way down the press release it says...

"Access all VoiceCentral functions on the device without pushing buttons via a Bluetooth headset."

The company that makes VoiceCentral (Fonix) is in my hometown. I had a meeting there last year and they demoed an older version of VoiceCentral for me. I remember thinking at the time that it was better than MS Voice Command, but I didn't have much experience with MS Voice Command then so who knows. It was pretty cool though. It did better than MS Voice Command at recognizing my voice and had more features (like reading you your e-mail) and some other things that I don't think Voice Command can do.

Handango has a free trial of 3.1 that's downloadable. I downloaded it and tried to extract the cab to install (I'm on a Mac so I can't just install anything with ease) but the file is to complex so I'll have to wait a few days until I can install it from a PC.

Does someone want to try this out and see if you can actually fully use it with a bluetooth headset?

This may be a good alternative until Microsoft updates Voice Command.

BTW, In case you're wondering, VoiceCentral is like MS Voice Command in that you don't have to "train" it to your voice. It will recognize anyone's voice.
    Last edited by Treonated; 10/02/2006 at 05:09 PM.
    sorry no go....I have been told it's a hardware thing on the Treo.....no software is going to work. But I did try it and got no responce.
    ummm ur wrong its not hardware. Hardware would mean the boards, the housing or the buttons themselves. Its a bluetooth stack problem which is software. BUT potentially could be fixable
    Palm says it's stack.
    Definitely not hardware according to Palm.
    i wonderif u can pull a bluetooth stack off a 6700 or such device where vc over bluetooth does work....
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    ummm ur wrong its not hardware. Hardware would mean the boards, the housing or the buttons themselves. Its a bluetooth stack problem which is software. BUT potentially could be fixable
    Hardware refers to the fact that the bluetooth is connected to the phone audio and not the PDA.....
    On a side note (but related) re: the 750v:

Palm says the Bluetooth supports stereo output to headsets, but we didn’t have a stereo Bluetooth headset around to check this out.
    (source)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdar View Post
    Hardware refers to the fact that the bluetooth is connected to the phone audio and not the PDA.....
    um thats not true at all actually or else bluetooth stereo wouldnt work on palms. They have nothing to do with the phone part. Its he software bluetooth stack that prevents bluetooth voice dialing
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    um thats not true at all actually or else bluetooth stereo wouldnt work on palms. They have nothing to do with the phone part. Its he software bluetooth stack that prevents bluetooth voice dialing
    From JetWare as to why their extention to bluetooth and VC will not work on the 700W:

Q: Why can’t I get the “Voice dialing” option to work on my Treo 700w? I installed Voice Command but it still uses the Treo microphone and speaker for Voice Command.

A: The Bluetooth hardware in the Treo 700w is wired directly into the cellular radio hardware such that audio from the Bluetooth hands-free device microphone goes directly to the cellular radio, and only the cellular radio can provide audio to the Bluetooth hands-free device speaker. This does not allow the Bluetooth audio connection to be established prior to a phone call to take audio input from the Bluetooth microphone for a voice-dial application on the phone to interpret.
    We have, however, had customers report that the microphone sensitivity on the Treo allows the Treo to be placed on the dashboard, for example, and with the addition of voice software such as Microsoft Voice Command, perform voice dialing initiated by pressing the voice-dial button on the Bluetooth hands-free device (but with the voice input going from the Treo microphone to Voice Command, and Voice Command responses come through the Treo speaker.

http://www.jetwaremobile.com/bthfx/FAQ.htm
    Wrong. From Palm ---
    On Jul 7, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Treo.support@palm.com wrote:

Response (AJ) - 07/07/2006 12:28 PM
    Hello Mr. ***********,

Thank you for contacting Palm Treo 700W email Technical Support. My name is A.J. and I will be assisting you with your issue. Voice command over BlueTooth is not supported by Palm for the Treo 700W, this is a software limitation. A third party developer can most definitely develop an application that would achieve Voice Dial over BlueTooth.

Cordially,
    Palm Treo700w Support Team
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Wrong. From Palm ---
    On Jul 7, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Treo.support@palm.com wrote:

Response (AJ) - 07/07/2006 12:28 PM
    Hello Mr. ***********,

Thank you for contacting Palm Treo 700W email Technical Support. My name is A.J. and I will be assisting you with your issue. Voice command over BlueTooth is not supported by Palm for the Treo 700W, this is a software limitation. A third party developer can most definitely develop an application that would achieve Voice Dial over BlueTooth.

Cordially,
    Palm Treo700w Support Team
    If it's a "software limitation" then it is a very intractable one since MS Voicecommand doesn't work (though it works on other WM5 devices), it doesn't work with Cyberon Voice Dialer (though it does with the 6700, no hacks), it doesn't work with Jetware, and it doesn't work with Vito VoiceDialer either.

So it's all their fault that they can't implement it, not Palm's (who just can't even be bothered with it, since it's so easy).

Look, one of Palm's developers was at the 750v show-n-tell and said the reason why they didn't put BT 2.0 in the 750v was because WM5 can't handle it ("Ask Microsoft"). That's total crap as there are WM5 devices with BT 2.0. This was on video and anyone can watch it. They're just passing the buck.

So I take anything that "Palm support" says with a grain of salt (see "threaded text messaging" fiasco) And if Jetware say it can't be done, it can't be done.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    like i said its gotta be a bluetooth stack problem. The stack is what the bluetooth chip uses to "talk" to the software on the phone. Obviously the stack itself does not support voice command over bluetooth since WN5 obviously can, and bluetooth obviously is capable itself to do such a thing. If we could possibly get a diff bluetooth stack it could be possible.