Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 162
  1. #141  
    Has anyone tried the grab_it_128_150 version of grab_it that I posted above to see if it works? Once we get the rom bin we can post it to the xda forums and it should just be a matter of days for them to extract the sms app and other interesting things on the 750v.
  2. ahalvor's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #142  
    clearly the 750 does not attract the same kind of users the Treo has in the US. I have given up on the damn threaded SMS until Palm releases it.
  3. #143  
    are people really this impatient? The device has been out for barely a week!
  4. #144  
    yup
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  5. #145  
    Very impatient here as well
    Jimmie Geddes
  6. #146  
    well hopefully everyone with a 700w/wx is hoping for a quick Cingular 750 release because I'm sure that it will be hacked to death in the first 48 hours of release so everyone gets what they want
  7. boer's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    The value is correct but I still get a right error
    Hi, please can you do me favor? I have idea which can help us get SMS threading application and other palm features as well. If isn't possible dump ROM in this moment can you download Total Commander (freeware) http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm and do following.

    1, Create foder on memory card and go to the Total commander.
    2, go to the root of your device and copy to SD everything what is possible specially from Windows folder and Program Files (rest will be fine as well)
    - this will take some time and in case of problem with file just skip that file.
    3, When this will be done please go into the "\\" in the root and then to "registry"
    4, now select registry tree one by one and copy again to card.

    This will give us most probably files which will be required for hack and registry keys which will be required as well i think.

    Thank you very much for your help.
  8. #148  
    Hi all,

    I have posted some comments but wanted to give my impressions in a bit more detail and in a hopefully more structured manner. I have been a Palm User since 1999 and never used WM. I am not a "techie" though I have been in technology for 26 years. I mainly use my Treo for Contact and Calendar Management and its my only phone. (No landline) So, I do not as yet really use it for music (though I did try a few songs today and it sounded good to me) or for videos/TV. Heck, I miss using Graffiti.

    Look and feel. Awesome. I took a look today at the 700wx that was launched at Bell, it looks positvely ancient compared to the 750v. The feel of the back grip is awesome, and the whole look is much cleaner and more "modern" I have started to feel for a while now that the T650 felt big and heavy. Not having the antenna is long overdue.

    There are not many themes that come with the phone for the Today screen, and my eyesight is not great, so that was an issue till I increased the text size and its now very workable. I would not mind being able to get rid of the blue background and have dark text on a light background.

    Setup
    Phone: Super easy, insert SIM
    My phone seems to flit between EDGE and UMTS, as others have described.
    Call Volume is good. I am half deaf so this is important to me. I have not tried it with my hearing aids yet. Ring volume seemed louder on the T650 which I like, but those around me don't

    Keyboard. Has even a better feel to it then the T650. The keys seem firmer.

    Importing Data from Outlook
    Also, very simple, I kind of like ActiveSync. It sure is much faster than HotSync is with the T650

    SMS - Also very easy, was able to send right away. I like the Chat function available, however, does it do any good if whoever you are chatting with does not have that capability?

    Email. Ran into a few problems, since this is my first unlocked device, I had forgotten that I have to set up a connection, quickly resolved that, found the Rogers information on Howard Forums. Once I had that done, a Treocentral wiz helped me resolve the one final setting I had with outgoing email.

    Bluetooth Headset. Very easy to set up, worked right away. I use the Palm Treo Headset.

    Camera I am not much of a photog, whats available is good enough fo me, however, for some reason, the photos I took seem sharper than they were on the T650. Have not used the Video Function.

    Mini SD Cards I am not a fan of "doors" on these kinds of devices. They can easily be broken. This is not a good design. On this note, I find the Explorer File Management confusing, trying to figure out which directory is which on the card, how to move files from one to the other, and whether I should be setting these directories up first on my PC and then Synching. I need to keep working with this. I did not make much use of the card on the T650 so its more an issue of my experience.

    Applications
    Interestingly, there is a folder with the title Rogers Apps in my Programs folder, so I guess when I inserted the SIM in the phone, it set up this folder. We know that Rogers will be offering the 750v sometime next year.

    For me the biggest issue is getting used to WM.

    Some comments and comparisons.

    It may be early yet in my use, but I found that the Palm OS devices make better use of the 5-way. For example, in the Running Programs List, when you select one program, you then have to 5way back down to Stop, then the slection bar seems to get lost and you cant go back up and select another program to close. In Outlook, you have to go to Menu->GoTo->Folders to change mail folders.

    Setting up speed dials. When I use a calling card, I enter the number, and them in extra digits, several commas for pause and then the recipients number. In the extra digits screen, there is no paste function, so , if you had copied the contact number, its a problem. I resolved this by bringing up the keyboard and pressing CTRL V. Its confusing sometimes to know where you are in the program/utility.

    For some reason, the blinking LED is not working for a while today, I don't know why. I recall this being an issue with other Treos.

    So if I can summarize, and bearing in mind that I have not used the 700 series, I would say that this is the best Treo yet. I would also state, that despite advances by other vendors, including the various HTC models, the Treo form factor and interface is still the best. So, I think that Palm may have a good year coming up, I anticipate strong sales for the 680 on the lower end and good sales with the 750v on the higher end. I have to admit that I am glad now that we in Canada have not had the 700P or 700W and that I have been able to go straight from the T650 to the 750v, albeit at a "go straight to the poorhouse" price. However, I feel that the Palm OS seems to be fading, and they have let the Trojan Horse into the castle. Palm customers are very loyal, and Palm seems to have neglected the OS thus forcing us to WM,

    If you are considering getting a new Treo in the next few months, I would recommend that you give yourself a present and buy this one.

    Thanks
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
  9. #149  
    Is the LED supposed to be blinking during normal use and solid red when charging and solid green when done charging and still connected to the charger? I am used to the LED blinking, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to do so on the T650

    Thanks
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
  10. #150  
    You should probably start another thread on this, but on the 650 (Dont have my 750 yet - it is on order), the charging works EXACTLY as you describe, The LED blinks during normal use, and then, the light is solid red while in the cradle or charger, until it is fully charged, and then it is solid green.

    HTH,

    Matt
    Rewards Network

    Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

    Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

    Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  11. #151  
    I do have one major gripe, but its more of a Palm issue than the device. That is lack of built in WiFi. To illustrate, last night I was at a cafe here in Vancouver. Of the 30 or so people there, 20 had laptops making use of the free WiFi. This is now so common that it is unacceptable that a new and expensive device like the 750 does not have it. This is Palm saying to us end users, "I don't listen to you, I listen to the carriers"

    For those of us in Canada this is even more of a problem as there is only one GSM provider, so you cannot move unless you want to switch to CDMA.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
  12. Biggles's Avatar
    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #152  
    I do have one major gripe, but its more of a Palm issue than the device. That is lack of built in WiFi. To illustrate, last night I was at a cafe here in Vancouver. Of the 30 or so people there, 20 had laptops making use of the free WiFi. This is now so common that it is unacceptable that a new and expensive device like the 750 does not have it. This is Palm saying to us end users, "I don't listen to you, I listen to the carriers"
    If anything, this is even more of a gripe in Europe where data contracts are so expensive, so I will not be buying a 750v. I have probably already bought my last Palm device unless they get their act together.
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    Is the LED supposed to be blinking during normal use and solid red when charging and solid green when done charging and still connected to the charger? I am used to the LED blinking, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to do so on the T650

    Thanks
    I'm using Cingular on my 750 and the LED does not blink to indicate coverage or being in network. The LED only turns red when charging and green when charged and still connected. I think it's a new thing they started doing on the 700 series. A change to the registry would probably give you a blinking light to indicate coverage but not sure what registry edit would do it. I'm kinda used to it now.
    Brandon
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    I do have one major gripe, but its more of a Palm issue than the device. That is lack of built in WiFi. To illustrate, last night I was at a cafe here in Vancouver. Of the 30 or so people there, 20 had laptops making use of the free WiFi. This is now so common that it is unacceptable that a new and expensive device like the 750 does not have it. This is Palm saying to us end users, "I don't listen to you, I listen to the carriers"

    For those of us in Canada this is even more of a problem as there is only one GSM provider, so you cannot move unless you want to switch to CDMA.
    WE aren't Palm's customers, the carriers are. So Palm caters directly to their customers, being the wireless carriers.
  15. #155  
    Its a semantics issue. I consider us the customer, as we are the one buying the device and the one using it. At the end of the day, if we the customers don't buy a device or a product, it impacts Palm. In fact, we are more of a customer then the carriers, who carry brands from multiple vendors, while we usually only have the one, in the case of most of us here, a Palm device.

    I can assure you that if the Palm customer base made its unhappines known over this issue, particularly at the cash register, it would get resolved real quick. I guess I am as guilty as the next as I went with the 750v versus an HTC device with WiFi

    Bottom line, Palm does not offer this capability not because it cannot or that its not a feature requsted by its users. It refuses to offer WiFi because the carriers don't want to, and so we the customers get screwed.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
  16. #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    Its a semantics issue. I consider us the customer, as we are the one buying the device and the one using it. At the end of the day, if we the customers don't buy a device or a product, it impacts Palm. In fact, we are more of a customer then the carriers, who carry brands from multiple vendors, while we usually only have the one, in the case of most of us here, a Palm device.

    I can assure you that if the Palm customer base made its unhappines known over this issue, particularly at the cash register, it would get resolved real quick. I guess I am as guilty as the next as I went with the 750v versus an HTC device with WiFi

    Bottom line, Palm does not offer this capability not because it cannot or that its not a feature requsted by its users. It refuses to offer WiFi because the carriers don't want to, and so we the customers get screwed.
    Actually, in Palm's mind and every other ODM's mind (motorola, samsung, nokia, etc) they view the carrier as their customer. Once the carrier buys the product, Palm can recognize revenue and the associated cost with it. A customer not buying a Palm product will indirectly affect palm, but overall, Palm still sells the same amount of product to the carriers. Once palm gets their product on the wireless carrier's shelf, that's it - they're done with the selling side now. I see your argument, but in order for customers to buy it, the carriers have to carry it. And for the unlocked phone argument - only a very small % of cellular customers buy their phones at the unlocked, unsubsidized price.

    And with the wifi issue - if consumers were really Palm's customer, then Palm would put it on. However, the carriers are the customer and palm makes the devices to appease them. Because Palm gets their money from cingular, vzw, sprint, voda, etc., not us.
  17.    #157  
    This is 100% true. It seems a really difficult idea for most users to grasp for some reason though. I want my list of features as much as anyone else, but it's obvious that Palm has to satisfy the carriers. If they don't do that then they are dead, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Actually, in Palm's mind and every other ODM's mind (motorola, samsung, nokia, etc) they view the carrier as their customer. Once the carrier buys the product, Palm can recognize revenue and the associated cost with it. A customer not buying a Palm product will indirectly affect palm, but overall, Palm still sells the same amount of product to the carriers. Once palm gets their product on the wireless carrier's shelf, that's it - they're done with the selling side now. I see your argument, but in order for customers to buy it, the carriers have to carry it. And for the unlocked phone argument - only a very small % of cellular customers buy their phones at the unlocked, unsubsidized price.

    And with the wifi issue - if consumers were really Palm's customer, then Palm would put it on. However, the carriers are the customer and palm makes the devices to appease them. Because Palm gets their money from cingular, vzw, sprint, voda, etc., not us.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  18. #158  
    The main counter to that argument is all the other devices where WIFI does slip though. Is HTC more convincing than Palm, or do the customers which HTC's devices target demand WIFI more?

    Surur
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The main counter to that argument is all the other devices where WIFI does slip though. Is HTC more convincing than Palm, or do the customers which HTC's devices target demand WIFI more?

    Surur
    I was actually thinking that too. We don't really know what goes on in those sales meetings, but I would say its a combo of HTC pushing for wifi and Palm not really pushing it.
  20. #160  
    Of the bat, I can think of two Verizon devices with WIFI, the PPC 6700 and the Samsung i730. And I expect Verizon is probably the most WIFI-unfriendly of the lot.

    Surur
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions