Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Dear All,

It is nice to be back on this forum. I have switched myself to a Universal but have had fine buying the 750v for my wife who had the 650 before.

So here are some answers on the deal we got from Vodafone. I got the web-deal but through dealing with a very helpful call centre person called Eve. If anyone wants the name and number, let me know. I guess she is on commission.

We ported the number across from another network so are a new customer. The phone was 43 on a 12 month deal. Our monthly cost is about 40, which includes 450 anytime minutes, 100 texts and their email option which is 250 meg traffic.

The phone is good quality build and I have to say I think the colour scheme is better than the silver treo. It is great not having the aerial.

The screen is noticeably worse than the Universal.

My wife has taken it away from me so not yet any time to play with download speeds etc. She is not a techy user so I am waiting to see what her comments are regarding the move to WM5.

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Mine turned up today. Had the 600, and 650. Case feels good, although I think quality may not be as good as the previous models. It has a different stylus, half plastic, half metal. Better without the antenna. Interface seems fairly quick, though as is happening with MS operating systems some settings seem buried compared with the simple Palm interface.

SIM hasn't arrived and number not ported from Orange yet so I can't do a full switchover.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Can any one of you good chaps help us treo 700w/wx users by uploading the threaded SMS app from your new 750v's

Thanks!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I think that we would have a better chance of that happening, if each time someone asked, they included a step by step instruction of how to do it. How does one dump the rom?
    Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Here is the grab_it tool. You just rename it to autorun.exe, create folder '2577' on your (empty) mini-sd card and copy 'autorun.exe' to this folder.
    Then any device you stick that sd card into it will copy the rom. Use a card reader on your pc/laptop to get it off of the sd card and upload the rom.

I started a thread asking for someone to help us get the sms app here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124553

Maybe we should have 1 centralized location?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Doesn't work, comes up with Error, Cannot create file! this is on an empty 1Gb miniSD card

Oh BTW I got my 750v today
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    On the comment about the TyTN being a better phone, I guess I have to disagree. It has more features, but I tried one for three weeks. I thought it was a terrible phone. A geeky device, but not lacking one-handed use and physically not very comfortable.
    I agree completely with this. I'm in the process of sending my Vario II back to T-Mobile. Holding the device for extended periods just isn't pleasant and using the D-pad involves contortions beyond my ageing thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The d-pad and buttons on the HTC version were just terrible, an ergonomic disaster in my opinion.
    The one on the Vario II may be a little better but it's also pretty awful. They managed to make it both stiff and wobbly at the same time - clicking right, left or down is stiff (up, strangely, is fine) but the whole thing wobbles!

Funny what you don't notice when you're trying something in a shop.
    I received my 750v on Tuesday am, and I have been using it now for a couple of days. Previously I was using an unlocked 650 on Orange. Here are some initial comments:

1. The device certainly looks a lot nicer than the 650. The rubberised case, lack of antenna, colour etc make it look and feel like a quality device. A few colleagues have asked my about my "new blackberry"!! Most people in the UK don't know about Treo, so I suspect that the device will substantially raise the Treo's profile in Europe.

2. I am now starting to get the hang of Win Mob 5. I have never used a WM device for any period of time before, and have been a Palm user since the days of the original Pilot. I am also a Mac user and thus have a obligatory hatred of Windows. I was sceptical about the move to WM5, however I have been pleasantly surprised at the experience. WM works, is quick and if you are used to the 650 you should get the hang of it quickly. The today screen works well, and I like the ability to dial by typing in names. In fact I like this better than Palm OS where you had to enter into the Address Book. I also like the google search. SMS threading etc works well and is similar to the 650.

3. The screen on the device is clear and of a high quality. I was a concerned that the resolution is lower than the 650, but I haven't really noticed much difference (possibly due to WM being more colourful than Palm OS). It would be nice to be able to change the fonts of applications. I liked the way that you could do this on Versamail so you can get more on the screen, and I haven't found a way to do this yet.

3. Shame that the 750 has lost the buttons on the 650 to jump quickly to diary, address book, tasks etc. I refer to these apps frequently throughout the day and having to make a few more clicks to get to them is a little annoying. I am sure that once I get used to the new interface, I will be able to navigate as quickly as before.

4. Voice quality is good. I found the mic in the 650 a little poor (maybe it was my device, which has covered a lot of miles and been banged about a lot). but the quality is good. Speakerphone works well, as does linking to my Motorola H500 bluetooth headset.

5. Data works well on the device and downloads attachments etc quickly. I like the tight integration between Excel, Word etc. This is a far more capable email tool than the 650. Certainly I think it is a good alternative to the blackberry, especially since the voice capabilities are stronger.

6. Keyboard is ok and is very similar to the 650.

7. Mac integration. I used to use Mark/Space's excellent Missing Sync to sync my 650 to my G4 Powerbook. According to their web site, the 750 is not currently supported, however a quick email to their customer support a couple of weeks ago suggested that the 750 would almost certainly be supported as soon as it was released. I decided to take a punt on this and upgraded to their Windows mobile product (v.2.5.1). Using the USB cable, the device syncs ok with iCal and Address Book. Syncing with Bluetooth is more complex as you need to put the 750 in flightmode before you sync. Apparently this is a WM5 issue and not a Treo specific problem. However it is annoying and this needs to be fixed by MS, or maybe for some reason they don't want WM5 devices to work too well with Macs. (cue sub-thread on MS / Mac conspiracy theories). Anyway the net result is the 750 works with my Mac, though improved BT sync would be nice.

9. I would also like to say that I have been impressed with Vodafone's business sales and customer service. I was looking for an excuse to leave Orange after making four failed attempts to reach their business customer service and giving up after waiting on hold for over 20 mins each time. I have been impressed by voda's customer support and they resolved some email issues I had quickly and efficiently. I have worked in and around the mobile industry for over 15 years and generally have a poor opinion of most of the operator's customer support. Voda have really impressed me and I think Orange have really missed a trick not getting an exclusive on this device (which I am sure they were offered given that the 600 and 650 were both Orange signature devices). I suppose that is what happens when you are taken over by the French civil service!

Overall, I am happy with the 750, it is a good replacement to my road abused 650. It isn't a radical departure, but a good refinement. Once I get used to WM5, I am sure it will really fly.
    Last edited by Waster; 10/05/2006 at 05:53 PM.
    fantastic review, waster. Thanks.
    pleasure. I like to keep my audience happy!

btw. I would add that that:

1. The battery life isn't as good as the 650 (though this may be due to me continually playing the device and demonstrating it to people!). I have to charge overnight, whereas my 650 used to last for 2 days. The 750 charges ok from my 650's combined USB sync / charge cable.

2. The stylus is a bit plasticy and a little bendy. However, the one handed interface works fine so I have only used it a couple of times.
  11.    #91  
    Great review waster! When you have more time on the device please give us more impressions on stability (crashes or resets), battery life, voice call quality, and data speeds.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Do we know what version of the software is being used?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waster View Post
    pleasure. I like to keep my audience happy!

btw. I would add that that:

1. The battery life isn't as good as the 650 (though this may be due to me continually playing the device and demonstrating it to people!). I have to charge overnight, whereas my 650 used to last for 2 days. The 750 charges ok from my 650's combined USB sync / charge cable.
    Thanks for the review! As for the battery life, do you keep 3G on all the time?
    1. Voice quality is good. Better than 650. Works well when there is background noise.

2. Stability. It hasn't crashed yet.

3. Dataspeeds. Fast after using GPRS on the 650. I guess this is a function of voda's network as much as the device. I did a quick trial downloading a 300kb powerpoint attachment and it took just over 20 seconds. Falls back to GPRS flawlessly when out of UMTS coverage.

4. Software versions:
    WM 5.1.195 (build 14959.2.3.2)
    Firmware TREO750-1.12.-VFU

5. Battery life. I keep UMTS and or GPRS switched on. Vodafone Business Email (their push email service) keeps the connection going. In a typical day I receive 60+ emails on the device and usually make a couple of hours of calls
    Last edited by Waster; 10/06/2006 at 01:51 AM.
    Thanks for your review Waster- a quick one: You mentioned that you used your 650's Sync cable to charge the phone. Does this allow you to charge the phone using the Mac's USB port without any power source connected?

-a
    Thanks Waster!

Are you able to change folders without a stylus (as in the image below?)

17.    #97  
    Another request, since some users have them already. Could someone share the vodaphone today theme? I really like the colors it uses versus the gaudy blue or red defaults that ship on other WM5 phones.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I'm also wondering about the ability to change folders without the stylus. I'll gladly take the today theme and the SMS app when you guys get around to it
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    3. Shame that the 750 has lost the buttons on the 650 to jump quickly to diary, address book, tasks etc. I refer to these apps frequently throughout the day and having to make a few more clicks to get to them is a little annoying. I am sure that once I get used to the new interface, I will be able to navigate as quickly as before.
    Oh, what? You can't be serious? The most used buttons on the whole Treo gone and you have to go through the Windows start button, I suppose? I assumed the two buttons just below the screen did that. Obviously not.

It just reinforces my decision not to buy a 750v.
    Use a plug-in program to put the icons to the programs you use most on the home screen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!