Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I won't be changing over, no real benefit in doing so. Got my Treo 650 plam software set up just sweet. Cannot be bothered to have the hassle to change over to microsoft for the benefit of no antenna. Also I would have to replace my SD cards with mini SD's as well. Again data costs an issue as well. Will stick with 650 until something really special comes along.
    Well, here goes!!

I am a UK user and I ordered the T750v from Vodafone yesterday. It was waiting on my desk this morning when I got to work.

I have had a little bit of trouble with the pricing plan so I haven't put the sim card in yet - I will be able to do that tomorrow.

I have played about a little with it though. It's a bit of a learning curve as I haven't used Windows mobile before.

My first impressions of the unit itself are very positive. It looks very cool and not having an antenna really improves it over the T650 which I am still currently using.

The rubberised paint is ok, but not quite as grippy as I'd imagined.

The 5 way seems easy to operate and the interface is quite intuitive.

As most of you are probably already familiar with WM5 I won't say anything about that. I will be putting some 3rd party software on soon and setting up activesync - which should be fun.

I'm happy to answer any questions - just bear in mind I am not techie.

Paul
    Don't happen to have a miniSD Wifi card sitting around do you?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    Well, here goes!!

I am a UK user and I ordered the T750v from Vodafone yesterday. It was waiting on my desk this morning when I got to work.

I have had a little bit of trouble with the pricing plan so I haven't put the sim card in yet - I will be able to do that tomorrow.

I have played about a little with it though. It's a bit of a learning curve as I haven't used Windows mobile before.

My first impressions of the unit itself are very positive. It looks very cool and not having an antenna really improves it over the T650 which I am still currently using.

As most of you are probably already familiar with WM5 I won't say anything about that. I will be putting some 3rd party software on soon and setting up activesync - which should be fun.

Paul
    can you help us get the threaded SMS app oof of your Treo 750v?

Can someone post how one would go about doing this, so if someone wants to help us out they can?
    Jimmie Geddes
  5.    #45  
    Thanks for the first feedback! How is the build quality? Any squeaks or creaks? Are the buttons and battery cover solid? Does the new paint get fingerprints easily?

Well, here goes!!

Paul
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Well, here goes!!

Paul
    pictures, man, pictures! what are your intial thoughts of the build quality and the design of the unit?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Can you describe the A2DP support on the 750v? If you have A2DP headphones try it out and tell us how well it works.
    Were getting one soon.

I got an hour with the Treo 750v today (should have one in the next day or so for review) and first impressions are that it's OK.

Absolutely nothing about the device stood out for me at all on first play but maybe it will grow on me. The keyboard is definately better and I liked the screen even though the resolution is lower than the 650.

The design is nice from the front but my word the back is ugly! It has potential but to me it seems too much like a Treo to make me jump up in delight at the moment.

Look out for a HUGE review in the next day or so...
    http://clieuk.co.uk/wm.shtml#newsitemEEVAlAAZkkRNkyCsmW

Surur
    Surur you know your stuff, do you think you might be able to help us with the SMS app? Looking forward to the review.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Maybe someone who lives in the UK can go to a vodaphone or cellphones store that carries this item? Then maybe they can copy the sms software?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Surur you know your stuff, do you think you might be able to help us with the SMS app? Looking forward to the review.
    I'm sure Shaun would have no difficulty doing this, but after our previously alluded problems with Vodafone we cant have any suspicion of responsibility for the leak directed at us. In fact I was banned from posting anything except official news of the Vodafone Treo 750 on the site these last few months for the same reason. Sorry

Surur
    Well how will they know you copied a file?
    Well, here's my story trying to get hold of one in the UK and the reasons why I have so far failed.

I am an existing user of a Palm T3 and I am also an existing Vodafone customer. I am 12 months through an 18 month contract with them whereby for 42 per month I get 500 free talk minutes per month plus a load of text messages and a load of data download, via 3G. Frankly I am not too bothered about how much I actually pay, because I use the talk and data mostly for work, and they reimburse just about my whole bill for me.

So I decide it time to move from the two device arena to the one device arena and, what the hell, maybe move from Palm OS to Windows. So I stroll into my local Vodafone store and tell the assistant I would like to upgrade to the Palm 750 V. The first thing he says to me is "Ooh, thats a very expensive handset you know!" I tell him that I know, that I have researched it in quite a bit of depth and yes, I am sure I would like one. He calls up my records on his computer and (those in the UK will get this) essentially says "computer says no". He tells me that as I am only 12 months into my 18 month contract I cannot under any circumstances upgrade. No alternative offers, no "if you pay X you can have one", sorry. I explain to him that I am quite prepared to extend my contract by a further 18 months from today, but again point blank, no movement.

I then go home and call Vodafone and explain my position over the phone and again I am told the same thing.You can't upgrade, period. You can't extend your contract, period. The only way you can have one is if you take out a new contract. (By the way, the lady on the phone said exactly the same thing as the chap in the shope first "thats a very expensive phone...") Eventually I did get her to concede that I could have one for 117 if I took out a new contract.

This all happened on Saturday, before the launch date, so I may get a different answer tomorrow now that it has been launched.

However, my conclusions as to why no one in the UK has posted a reply are that:
    a) existing Vodafone customers will find it very hard to either get one or justify buying one, so hence a whole bunch of folk unable to do a review.
    b) many new customers may get the old "thats expensive" line and be instantly put off.
    c) I also think Palm have screwed up a bit here with their strategy as, when I went in the Vodafone shop, the 750V just looked like any other device on the shelf next to all the other phones etc. i.e. no differentiation.It just becomes another commodity on the shelf with the other tins of beans.

So, even though I still want one I can't see them shifting many and the fact that no one in the UK has posted a review here seems to back this theory up.
    Good to see at least some one has tried. Palm's marketing strategy team screw up big time in EU. Not to mention we don't hear any campaign at all from Vodafone. Verizon at least put Treo demo in a separated smartphone section, and you see commercial on TV from Verizon. Treo would never stand out sitting beside other phone.

Aside from that, it's funny to hear they all showed the same "the device is expensive" expression. Or it may just simply imply 750v is not worth the money.

c) I also think Palm have screwed up a bit here with their strategy as, when I went in the Vodafone shop, the 750V just looked like any other device on the shelf next to all the other phones etc. i.e. no differentiation.It just becomes another commodity on the shelf with the other tins of beans.
  15.    #55  
    Wow, that's depressing! Why on earth do these phone companies make it so hard to buy something even if you are willing to pay? I've seen similar behaviour from U.S. phone companies also.
    GOT MINE TODAY!

Build quality is a bit better than 650.

One handed use is great - SO MUCH BETTER THAN HTC Universal.

If you have a rubber band you can even use the 650 Battery in the 750!

I now use both the 750 and 650.
    I think my HTC universal is going on Ebay soon.

650 has better screen , full size SD and all my palm software so Im keeping it as my spare phone.
    I went to vodafone today and was told the same ****, they didnt even have one on display, Palm are a small concern in the uk, there has been no advertising on tv, a few gadget mags have written a few lines about it but no praise, this thing is doomed to failure, palm and vodafone have failed big time!!!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Was this an upgrade or a new contract?

Either way I'm going to be having words with Vodafone tomorrow
  19.    #59  
    Does it feel any smaller than the 650? How does the paint finish feel compared to the 650?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    GOT MINE TODAY!

Build quality is a bit better than 650.

One handed use is great - SO MUCH BETTER THAN HTC Universal.

If you have a rubber band you can even use the 650 Battery in the 750!

I now use both the 750 and 650.
    I think my HTC universal is going on Ebay soon.

650 has better screen , full size SD and all my palm software so Im keeping it as my spare phone.
    Please post the sms and a quick review of the phone.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast