Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope it's OK to start a new thread on this - if not please move/merge to appropriate place.

I have just spent an hour on the phone to Vodafone UK business to see what deals I can get on the new 750v.

Final out come is:

A business account, which gives a free 24 month warranty on the handset and access to their business customer services (big advantage!)

Tarrif is Anytime 150, 18 month contract, £22.50 per month (after 10% discount - see below)

You get 150 mins cross network anytime calls (more than enough for me)
    This gives you 3 Extras points!

I have used these to obtain a 10% discount on the line rental and to upgrade to 500 Texts

I am told, and I will be confirming this before accepting the contact, that this is equivalent to 25mb of data and that I can mix and match my usage between the two.

I have also selected access to Mobile TV News & Sport package for an additional £5 per month

So my total monthly package will cost £27.50 to include 150 mins of calls, 25mb of data/texts and news & sports mobile TV.

The handset was priced at £250 on this package, but I only had to ask to get the price reduced to £115.

Overall this seems like a good package for casual personal and business use. I certainly won't exceed the talk minutes. Data is more tricky. I got by with 5mb per month on Orange with my T650, but I only use the web to view PDA friendly sites like BBC or Treo Central!

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else in the UK who is trying to make sense of the Vodafone pricing. Best thing is to talk to someone in the business area who can work out a package that meets your needs.

Cheers

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    I am told, and I will be confirming this before accepting the contact, that this is equivalent to 25mb of data and that I can mix and match my usage between the two.
    Hi Paul, Check that very carefully! I have that bundle at the moment and the chap in the Vodafone shop I was chatting to today said I could keep it and use it for data as I do at the moment but that it would be texts only on new accounts! I didn't push him on this (25 MB just isn't enough for me on a 3G phone) so I can't be certain but I'd get something in writing if I were you!

I went to the shop to have a play with the 750v, and have to say it really is a sweet device, just about perfect form-factor-wise IMHO, snappy, completely usable one handed and even the 240x240 screen seemed pretty nice. The only thing I didn't care for was the the 5-way navigator, which was rather stiff.

That said, I also had a play with the Vario II in the T-mobile shop and was sufficiently impressed that I came home an ordered one! In part this is because of Web 'n' Walk - £7.50 for 1 GB of data is just too good to pass up.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    That said, I also had a play with the Vario II in the T-mobile shop and was sufficiently impressed that I came home an ordered one! In part this is because of Web 'n' Walk - £7.50 for 1 GB of data is just too good to pass up.
    Did you see the new tariffs? £22.50 gets you 10GB, and permission to do VOIP and IM until the cows come home. If I had a HSDPA handset I would be buying it this instant!

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Did you see the new tariffs? £22.50 gets you 10GB, and permission to do VOIP and IM until the cows come home. If I had a HSDPA handset I would be buying it this instant!

Surur
    I did see them. For those who haven't (they're not on web site as far as I can see) I confirmed in the shop that they're exactly as described here:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=246327

Since you can go up to one of the more expensive options at any time but can't go down for six months (also confirmed in the shop) I thought I'd get the handset first and make the judgement then (coverage looks ok for me on the T-Mobile map for most places I'm likely to be but I figured it best to confirm before committing)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    So the TyTN has claimed another away from the Treo. Interesting!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So the TyTN has claimed another away from the Treo. Interesting!
    That's true but it wasn't just TyTN vs Treo it was TyTN on T-Mobile vs Treo on Vodafone and the biggest factor was data prices: T-Mobile, absurdly cheap; Vodafone, absurdly expensive. Had the Treo been launched with T-Mobile, it would have been a *much* closer call! In my opinion any blame to be attached to Palm rests not with the designers or engineers but with those that decided that for a 3G phone it was a good idea to partner with an operator on whose network it's too expensive to use the phone's stand-out feature. Look at what Palm's own web site has to say about the 750v:

http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/...v/details.html

"access the web from right where you are using Internet Explorer Mobile®"

"play MP3 files and streaming audio and video"

"Dial-up Networking—use your smartphone as a modem to extend 3G speeds to your laptop"

At £2.35 (~$4.40) a MB? Not bloody likely!
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    At £2.35 (~$4.40) a MB? Not bloody likely!
    Damn right. Which is exactly why I won't be getting a 750v.

But T-Mobile's sudden conversion to unlimited data plans has to be good news. I think an unlocked hw6915 with them will have to be the way to go; the bonus of GPS is just too good to turn down.
    Whats the point of unlimited data with a gprs phone, i love the form of the 6915 but no 3g its a waste of time, when you have used the Tytn with HSDPA on TM web'n'walk its just awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
    when you have used the Tytn with HSDPA on TM web'n'walk its just awesome
    I hope so! My Vario II is due arrive this morning
    I am still looking for call quality reviews on the TyTN. So far I found 2 that say not great. Please post if you can. Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Unlimited with GPRS is still cool, because I understand DirectPush uses about 20 MB per month just idling. That would kill a vodafone data plan very quickly.

Thank god for T-Mobile.
    Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I am still looking for call quality reviews on the TyTN. So far I found 2 that say not great. Please post if you can. Thanks!
    Made one call so far - good at both ends. I probably won't give it a thorough work out until the number porting process is complete. Still, so far so good! I'll post more later.

Posting this from the Vario II over my home Wifi network - just because I can
  13.    #13  
    Marcol

You were right about the new plans not giving the text/data mix

However, as the guy who advised me was extremely embarrased he managed to get me on an old plan which did allow it. Slightly different tariff. 200 mins not 150. First 3 months half price. Overall difference in cost over the 18 mths worked out at around £80, but I got him to throw in a bluetooth headset worth £40 so I'm not too unhappy.

I am clearly not a power user like you guys - I'm sure 25mb per month will be fine for my usage - I hope!
    You think that now you wait unitl you start using it and you will soon be going well over 25Mb. One thing leds to other.

I have the unlimited T-Mobile web n walk and i am speachless sometimes when my bill comes in and i see just how much data i have actually used.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sun View Post
    You think that now you wait unitl you start using it and you will soon be going well over 25Mb. One thing leds to other.

I have the unlimited T-Mobile web n walk and i am speachless sometimes when my bill comes in and i see just how much data i have actually used.
    Well, I will have to see, but I have been on an orange gprs data plan with just 5 megs for the last year and I haven't had any problems. I have access to a computer at home and work so it is only if I am out and about that I need to use it and even then it tends to be just for a bit of news and the odd forum.

I would prefer to see a plan like there is for the data card but for now I will just have to live within my means!!
    Thank God I am not in Europe at all. 150 minutes?? 25mb of data for almost 30 pounds . This is just cruel. I mean I am into unlimited data and atleast 1250 minutes for 50 bucks (Sprint SERO).
    Also I have followed Slickdeals pointer http://forums.theideaweb.com/f15-dea...nutes.html#old and got myself an unlimited calling plan thingy (you got to read the whole thing to understand it but it works).
    Anyways, again, I am happy that I am living in USA .
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sun View Post

I have been using 1500 Mb per month, which is what I used when I had free wireless access with Omnisky and later Tesco.

I now have asked for my 750Vs unlock code, as I only get 25MB for 30 quid a month on that contract.

We pay more for everything here in the UK compared to the USA, but at least we dont pay to receive calls or SMS!
    Overall I prefer the UK to the USA, even if we dont have TiVo series 3 here!
    OT.

I lived in the UK back in the early 90's. Quality of life there was very nice and comfortable.

Everything here in the US is so fast paced.

I miss the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I have been using 1500 Mb per month, which is what I used when I had free wireless access with Omnisky and later Tesco.

I now have asked for my 750Vs unlock code, as I only get 25MB for 30 quid a month on that contract.

We pay more for everything here in the UK compared to the USA, but at least we dont pay to receive calls or SMS!
    Overall I prefer the UK to the USA, even if we dont have TiVo series 3 here!
    Are they just going to give it to you?

I am going to be very impressed if they do.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Thank God I am not in Europe at all. 150 minutes?? 25mb of data for almost 30 pounds . This is just cruel. I mean I am into unlimited data and atleast 1250 minutes for 50 bucks (Sprint SERO).

Anyways, again, I am happy that I am living in USA .
    Of course, some of us my feel the benefit gained by the cheap price plan is rather heavily outweighed by the downside
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast