Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

I'm new to Sprint (well, I haven't purchased the 700wx yet), but I am going to once I figure out which data plan I need to add to the service.

The short of it: I want to have unlimited data, and either connect my phone via the USB cable to my laptop, or use bluetooth to connect my laptop and phone, to ultimately use it as a modem.

So which plan do I need to pick:

Sprint Power Vision Ultimate Pack: $25.00
    Sprint Power Vision Plus Pack: $20.00
    Spring Power Vision Access Pack: $15.00
    Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem: $39.99

Now I do realize that given my question, #4 seems like the common sense answer, however when looking at the details of the lowest priced option, I found this statement as a feature:

"Unlimited Web and Data Access "

My question is, can I use the lowest priced option, together with either PDANet, or the built capabilities, or the USB cable and get what I desire, a modem for my laptop?

Thanks for your help!
    -Chris
    yes for data access all u really need is the lowest $15 priced plan with the higher priced plans they include sprint tv & I believe picture mail which the 700wx does not support unless you use 3rd party apps so its a waste to pay anything more than $15
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    yes for data access all u really need is the lowest $15 priced plan with the higher priced plans they include sprint tv & I believe picture mail which the 700wx does not support unless you use 3rd party apps so its a waste to pay anything more than $15

So with just the $15 plan, I can connect my phone to my laptop and use it as a modem, and have unlimited data?

If so, does it require the use of 3rd party applications, or is this possible out of the box over bluetooth or usb?

Thanks,
    -Chris
    The 15 dollar plan doesn't include DUN use, so you'd need to either get PDANet or the $40 DUN plan. From what I've heard, you should only need the $40 plan and not both the $40 dollar DUN plan and the $15 vision plan, but you may want to call Sprint and be sure.
    the $15 plan is all you need in terms of unlimited web & data access but using it as a modem i'm not exactly sure because i myself do not use my 700wx as a modem. i'm sure someone else can give u a better answer on the pam question
    Last edited by untouchablez; 10/02/2006 at 02:05 AM.
    Yes they can track minutes used as a modem. During a trial of PDANet, I got charged for few minutes of connection as a modem since I have only the $15 plan.
    You need the PAM plan. PDANet is then not needed.
    Now I am not sure if the PAM plan includes unlimited data while browsing on your Treo (not laptop).... check this with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    PAM includes the super vision pack unlimited data.

are you sure you got charged for modem usage or just over usage?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by brightcell View Post
    Yes they can track minutes used as a modem. During a trial of PDANet, I got charged for few minutes of connection as a modem since I have only the $15 plan.
    Now I am not sure if the PAM plan includes unlimited data while browsing on your Treo (not laptop).... check this with Sprint.
    ahhhh thanks for the clarification i wasn't sure if i was correct in my earlier post as i have only read about people using their phone as a modem and not being tracked for their usage. so it looks like using sprints pam plan would be the best option.
    Are you sure the charges were for PAM? Just double checking because several other people have posted in other threads about connecting with PDAnet (and even possibly just with the out of box software) for NO additional charges beyond the $15 plan. Yours is the only post or reference I have ever seen for charges while using PDAnet
    Quote Originally Posted by thelizardman View Post
    Are you sure the charges were for PAM? Just double checking because several other people have posted in other threads about connecting with PDAnet (and even possibly just with the out of box software) for NO additional charges beyond the $15 plan. Yours is the only post or reference I have ever seen for charges while using PDAnet
    I let you know for sure in few days when I get my bill
    FYI, I am on SERO and using PDANet for 4 minutes shows this on my current usage:

CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES Included: 0 Used: 4

So for sure, Sprint could track my PDANet usage.
    I will post again in few days after I receive my bill
    I've been using PDA Net since release (6700 and 700wx), have received a bills (under both phones) and have not had any charges at all.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I've been using PDA Net since release (6700 and 700wx), have received a bills (under both phones) and have not had any charges at all.

You have had no charges past the $15 for Sprint Vision, or no charges at all including not being charged for the $15 Sprint Vision?

Thanks,
    -Chris
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I let you know for sure in few days when I get my bill
    FYI, I am on SERO and using PDANet for 4 minutes shows this on my current usage:

CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES Included: 0 Used: 4

So for sure, Sprint could track my PDANet usage.
    I will post again in few days after I receive my bill
    these are different than PAM charges...you need to add a vison plan.

Andy
  14.    #14  
    I'm sorry that I'm stupid, but it's still unclear to me (given other people's posts about PDANet not causing per kb charges on an sprint vision plan), if I were to get the 700WX and the $15 sprint vision unlimited plan and use either PDANet, a USB Cable or Bluetooth to connect my laptop and phone to use it as a modem, would I incur any additional charges past the $15 for the sprint vision unlimited plan?

Sorry my unclearness, but I just want to make sure before purchasing.

Thanks a lot,
    -Chris
    Last edited by tre0rox; 10/02/2006 at 07:17 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Someone here must have chosen one of the 'sprint vision' plans, and used the pdanet software (or bluetooth or usb) to tether to a laptop and is able to report if they were charged extraneous fees, above the price of their vision plan.

Will that someone please answer!

-Chris
    Ok real simple, I guess my previous post wasn't clear enough.

I have the $15 vision plan.

I have PDA net

I use PDA net on my laptop fairly often

I've never been charged by Sprint for tethering.

This was done on a 6700 and a 700wx, I have received bills for both phones while tethering.

I have never been billed in excess of my vision plan.

I make no warranty's for anyone else, because you'll always have some retard that torrents 20 gigs and wonders how sprint knows he is abusing the system.

I downloaded PDAnet and tested it.

I installed Sprint's Connection Manager and tested it.

After installing Sprint's Connection Manager (which installs the USB modem drivers) I tried using the phone as a Modem to dial out from my laptop.

Keeping track of the dates and times that I tried all three ways here is how it broke down:

PDAnet works with no additional charges.

Using Sprint's Connection Manager works with no additional charges.

Using my Treo as a Modem, and trying to dial into my company's DUN; I got a Casual Use PCS Wireless Web Minute charge on my bill.

You can use PDAnet; or use Sprint's Connection Manager for free... either will get your laptop on the web for no additional charge...

If you (like me) want to be able to dial into your office, or anywhere else, using your phone as a USB modem, then you need to get the $40 phone as a modem plan...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by fizban_tx View Post

After installing Sprint's Connection Manager (which installs the USB modem drivers) I tried using the phone as a Modem to dial out from my laptop.

Keeping track of the dates and times that I tried all three ways here is how it broke down:

Using my Treo as a Modem, and trying to dial into my company's DUN; I got a Casual Use PCS Wireless Web Minute charge on my bill.

You can use PDAnet; or use Sprint's Connection Manager for free... either will get your laptop on the web for no additional charge...

If you (like me) want to be able to dial into your office, or anywhere else, using your phone as a USB modem, then you need to get the $40 phone as a modem plan...
    Whoops, I am now confused again.

You say that you 'used sprint's connection manager' and 'used pdanet' without any additional charges.

But then you said, if you want to able to dial into your office or anywhere else using your phone as a USB modem, then you need to get the $40 phone as a modem plan.

Why would I need to pay for the $40 plan? Wouldn't the $15 plan work just as well because that's what you had, and using the sprint connection manager and pdanet didn't result in any addition charges?

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by fizban_tx View Post

Can you clarify what you mean by your "Company's DUN"? I'm not understanding how it differs from PDANet and the Sprint Connection Manager.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    He's saying that he is dialing in DIRECTLY to his companies dial up network with their private number and using it like a dial-up modem. The average joe is surfing the public interent and you can surf the web for $15 / month via your laptop. This is only for people who have to dial into a special number to get on their corperate network.... is that more clear?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast