Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    He's saying that he is dialing in DIRECTLY to his companies dial up network with their private number and using it like a dial-up modem. The average joe is surfing the public interent and you can surf the web for $15 / month via your laptop. This is only for people who have to dial into a special number to get on their corperate network.... is that more clear?
    So Sprint (or the phone) can discern using pdanet to allow the laptop to use the internet, and using the phone as a dial up modem? Not charging for pdanet usage, but charging when you use it as a normal dialup modem?

Odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by tre0rox View Post
    So Sprint (or the phone) can discern using pdanet to allow the laptop to use the internet, and using the phone as a dial up modem? Not charging for pdanet usage, but charging when you use it as a normal dialup modem?

Odd.
    Not really odd at all - one (pdanet) is connecting to the internet as they would expect, looks to them like you are simply pulling up web pages on the phone, the other (company network) is dialing in to a number so the connection process is obviously different and easily seen. Sprint can easily tell the difference betwen a 'call' to connect to the net via its standard process and a call to another number but what it has trouble discerning is when you connect through it whether or not its just the phone connecting or the phone connecting while tethered to a pc using that connection
    Interesting discussion...I am new to this forum, although I have used BT DUN of my Treo 650 tethered to laptop for a couple of years now...

I was in one of the Sprint stores today because I wanted to upgrade to EV-DO speed. I was trying to decide if I should go with the 700WX along with the $15 monthly Power Vision plan or the $40 PAM plan.

So if I read all your posts correctly, I should be fine with either pdaNet or Sprint Connection Manager along with the $15 PV plan. If that's the case, it's really half of the good news!

Now, has anyone had any success story via pdaNet BT instead of USB for a PC? Hope to hear more input from the folks here! This is definitely a great forum for a newbie like me...thanks in advance!

Tom
    So the 700wx doesn't support picture mail or sprint tv? With that in mind the $15 plan will work just fine for browsing the net with evdo?
    Sorry - I have been busy and had not had the chance to recheck this forum, Jesse explained it...

I was using the phone to dial a 1-800 number to dial into my company's network.

On to the rest of the topic...

The $15 a month plan is all you need.

If you want TV the phone will support Sprint TV (kind of.) The company that provides Sprint TV is MobiTV (http://www.mobitv.com) and they have released a package that you download to the Treo or other Windows Mobile device and stream the same content as SprintTV. It costs $10.00 a month and gives you all the same channels as Sprint's $25 a month plan. So you are paying the same $25.00 - 15.00 to Sprint and 10.00 directly to MobiTV.

If you are interested watching TV over your phone and want a cheaper way then $10.00 a month then check out www.orb.com it works great when you can get it working...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12