Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I think I found the Reg keys that control the behavior of the backlight for the Keyboard!

Maybe someone can develop a toggle to control them directly BUT I think it would require a soft-reset to enable. I could use your help in testing the parameters of these reg tricks

The BIG issue for me was when I disabled the screen backlight (via RescoRadio or AE Button Plus) the Keyboard lights STILL stayed on. Am I the only one with that behavior? It sure is stupid especially when playing music or streaming. Everything was off but my keyboard was bright as heck.

Well, I fixed it! Now when I stream and turn off my backlight, KB lights go off too.

Anyways, to the good stuff. Go to folder:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State

You'll see tons of folders, like BacklightOff, ColdReboot, On, etc.

In each folder, you'll find this:

kyl0 with a value of 4 or 0

4 = off
    0 = on

(1, 2, 3 = ????)

I was able to completely disable the KB lights on a soft-reset. I forgot what everthing does, some are obvious. So make a backup and get experimenting!!!

I naturally turned \ScreenOff\kyl0 = 4 and I think that's the one that will disable the keyboard light when the Screen is turned off (for streaming, playing music, etc.)

(haha, as I write this my device was in low power, the keyboard light went off, screen dimmed. Then my device went into suspend: everything off, keyboard light came on!! Guess I gotta fix one of those keys! That's what happens when you just start chaning all of them randomly...lol)
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/01/2006 at 01:51 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Sounds like a good find Malatesta...but I can't seem to find CurrentControlSet.

EDIT: Found it under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsup1o View Post
    Sounds like a good find Malatesta...but I can't seem to find CurrentControlSet.

EDIT: Found it under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State
    hehe, I was writing a response to tell you I modified the post when I saw you modified yours. Yeah, that's it.

hehe, i beat you to it. :P

Anyways, great find! I can confirm that this is turning off the keyboard light when you turn off the the screen backlight. I only change the key kyl0 from 0 to 4 under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\ScreenOff. I tried it with Resco Radio and WMP. Thanks for sharing this Malatesta!!
  5.    #5  
    Sweet!

Now someone with skillz needs to write a toggle app. I imagine one would have to disable the keyboard driver, toggle 0 to 4 and then re-enable the driver. Not sure if that can be done on the fly. Maybe someone can figure it out.

hmm, I'm not sure if I understand what the use of having a toggle app. The keyboard backlight is still behaving the same way as before except now the keyboard backlight turns off when screen is off...that is the only changed behavior..which I believe should be the proper behavior in the first place. I don't see the reason to toggle back to having keyboard backlight on while screen is off. Maybe I don't see what you are trying to accomplish.
  7.    #7  
    hmm, I'm not sure if I understand what the use of having a toggle app. The keyboard backlight is still behaving the same way as before except now the keyboard backlight turns off when screen is off...that is the only changed behavior..which I believe should be the proper behavior in the first place. I don't see the reason to toggle back to having keyboard backlight on while screen is off. Maybe I don't see what you are trying to accomplish.
    The bigger goal of toggling the KB lights on/off whenever.

For PalmOS there is an app called KBLights that did this. In fact, you could schedule it: no KB lights from 9am till 5pm. At 5pm, your lights come on. Or map it to a Hardware key, so you can literally turn them on/off whenever. On one app, you could even control the brightness of the KB lights and tie into your Profles!

Saves battery power (35 bright LEDs).

So I'm not just refering to the Screen Off behavior (I agree, that's how it should have been) but in general, whenever the device Screen is ON.

ahh, that makes sense. This may be a good feature to include to PhoneAlarm.
  9.    #9  
    ahh, that makes sense. This may be a good feature to include to PhoneAlarm.
    Yeah, I spoke to Bruce already about it. He was lukewarm. Mostly b/c he doesn't have a Treo to play around with although now it looks most of the leg work is done.

Not sure though about disabling that KB driver though. Eh, it's a start.

Someone smarter than me can pick up and run with it...

Maltatesta - you da man! This is one of my annoyances with playing music with tcmp or media play - now i am fixed! The trocentral community is the greatest reason to own (any) treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    Maltatesta - you da man! This is one of my annoyances with playing music with tcmp or media play - now i am fixed! The trocentral community is the greatest reason to own (any) treo!
    100% agree!!! The best place!!!
    Jimmie Geddes
    friggin fantastic! thanks so much!!
    wow, that's awesome! I lub it! <3
    dang nice find malatesta i'm with u on the whole kb lights app for wm5 it would sure help with the battery too (the more we can save the better)
    Nice find, works perfectly for me in WMP
    KBLights is invaluable and is sorely needed on the 700wx. This is a good first step and will hopefully lead to a WM5 equivalent to KBLights.
    Don't get me wrong. I'd love a KB light toggle app since I only need the lights on 10% of the time.

But I am trying to figure out what you all are talking about with the KB lights staying on while streaming. I use TCPMP and WMP and as soon as the screen dims, (I have mine set to 1 minute), the KB lights go out.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'd love a KB light toggle app since I only need the lights on 10% of the time.

But I am trying to figure out what you all are talking about with the KB lights staying on while streaming. I use TCPMP and WMP and as soon as the screen dims, (I have mine set to 1 minute), the KB lights go out.
    There's a difference between the screen dimming and turning off the screen completely. We're concerned here with the latter.

In something like RescoRadio there is a function to turn off the screen (not dim it) to save power. When we do this, the KB light still stay on which is obviously a bug and is what this trick fixes.

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    another great find. thanks.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    OIC Mal,

I hadn't noticed until today that the screen never turns all the way off while streaming.

I look forward to a KB toggle app. After 2 years with KBLightsOff on my 600 and 650 its aggravating to have no control over them now.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast