1.    #1  
    does anyone know where to download movies to watch on your wm devices. I know nothing about this but just thought with windows media player someone somewhere has reduced the size and format so thay could be watched on the wm phones. with the size of sd cards now it wouldn't be that bad. maybe some episodes of tv shows.

thanks for any help, cody
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    does anyone know where to download movies to watch on your wm devices. I know nothing about this but just thought with windows media player someone somewhere has reduced the size and format so thay could be watched on the wm phones. with the size of sd cards now it wouldn't be that bad. maybe some episodes of tv shows.

thanks for any help, cody
    Like copyrighted material?

Basically, it's illegal to download movies OR TV shows. If you were able to though (cough, bittorrent) than you would need some kind of app (like Lathe 1.5) that converts to a format suitable for the Treo. Then you use TCMP to watch.

For example, the other day I watched 2 episodes of Family Guy, full screen, back to back. There were about 90mb each and were very high quality.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Like copyrighted material?

Basically, it's illegal to download movies OR TV shows. If you were able to though (cough, bittorrent) than you would need some kind of app (like Lathe 1.5) that converts to a format suitable for the Treo. Then you use TCMP to watch.

For example, the other day I watched 2 episodes of Family Guy, full screen, back to back. There were about 90mb each and were very high quality.
    ok, that just shows how much thought I put into it. I don't want to get in trouble. I don't know much about bittorrent. I used kazza like 4-5 years ago but quit when people started getting busted. I don't want to get banded from tc for some movie talk so well just leave this at is. unless someone want to email me something.
    Last edited by codyppc; 09/29/2006 at 05:37 PM.
    Isn't it legal to make a personal copy of purchased material? I thought it was as long as you use it for your own viewing pleasure and not try to sell it or make it available to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Isn't it legal to make a personal copy of purchased material? I thought it was as long as you use it for your own viewing pleasure and not try to sell it or make it available to others.
    You would think so but "Fair Use" (what you're talking about) is, how to put this politely, being "re-evaluated" by the courts due to pressure from the MPAA and RIAA.

Essentially, they agreed for analog tapes and such as okay. They are fighting it like hell though for DVDs and digital content, hence why it is flat out illegal to sell DVD copying software that circumvents CSS. End result: DMCA 1998.

Having said that...it's HIGHLY unlikely that if you were to make a back up copy of a DVD or "rip it" using DVD Shrink, that you would ever get caught! I mean, they have other things to worry about (p2p).

Yet the cable company lets you record HD quality movies to a DVR and then let's you record that to DVD in SVideo quality. Certainly that is the same as copying DVD's. It's all so confusing. :-/

If it's the quality of the recording that they are worried about then I would suspect that making a lower quality movie for use on a Treo would be acceptable.
    Yet the cable company lets you record HD quality movies to a DVR and then let's you record that to DVD in SVideo quality. Certainly that is the same as copying DVD's. It's all so confusing. :-/

If it's the quality of the recording that they are worried about then I would suspect that making a lower quality movie for use on a Treo would be acceptable.
    That's the isssue: it's not black and white but grey.

Like I said, you CAN do this and not get in trouble. I'm just explaining why you won't find any legal websites where you can download movies or TV shows, but they are out there nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's the isssue: it's not black and white but grey.

Like I said, you CAN do this and not get in trouble. I'm just explaining why you won't find any legal websites where you can download movies or TV shows, but they are out there nonetheless.
    Well there are places that let you download movies legally, but the content is DRM protected and you need to use a player that obeys DRM rules to view them. I know that WMP (and PocketMusic) support DRM music, but I'm not sure if WMP plays DRM movies. Anyone know?

EDIT: A quick web search shows some guy is able to sync cinemanow WMV format movies to his WM5 device and play them. You just have to make sure WMP is set to not convert the movie based on the device.
    Last edited by hannip; 09/29/2006 at 05:08 PM.
    Well yes and no. The thing that makes ripping most DVD's to your hard drive is that most have encryption on them. Breaking that encryption (most rippers do this for you) is what is illegal.

With that said I still also rip my TV shows I have purchased on DVD to my PC and then convert them to watch on my Treo when I'm on the go. I own the DVD and am just making it a format that I'm able to use it in different ways.

I'll try to update this with the program I use which is VERY easy when I have the chance to get by my desktop.