Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I'm interested to hear people's opinions about how the Treo 750 will stack up against the Samsung i607.

    I know the Samsung has a smaller screen (and no touch screen) but it's like HALF the weight and half the thickness of a Treo (my 650 feels like a brick now).

    Any other big pros/cons one way or the other?
  2. #2  
    If it's WM5 Smartphone version, then that's a minus IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #3  
    Pocket PC vs. Smartphone and size really. And i'm going to bet the samsung will have horrid battery life.
  4. #4  
    You can check the other Treo VS Q thread becuase this is basically a black Q.
  5. #5  
    what is the difference between PPC and Smartphone? Also, why do you say the Samsung will have horrid battery life?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    You can check the other Treo VS Q thread becuase this is basically a black Q.
    Yes but isn't the other forum comparing the 700P with the MotoQ? I want to know people's opinions about the Q or i607 vs. the Windows Treo (in particular, the upcoming 750)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141 View Post
    what is the difference between PPC and Smartphone? Also, why do you say the Samsung will have horrid battery life?
    PPC Phone Edition differs from Smartphone edition mainly in the fact that the smartphone does not support touch screen operations. If I remember correctly Smartphone edition also doesn't come with pocket office applications (Word, Excel, etc).

    As for battery life of the Samsung, people are assuming that the device will have the same type of battery as the Moto Q due to its size similarity. The Q's standard battery performance has been known to be pretty poor.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    PPC Phone Edition differs from Smartphone edition mainly in the fact that the smartphone does not support touch screen operations. If I remember correctly Smartphone edition also doesn't come with pocket office applications (Word, Excel, etc).

    As for battery life of the Samsung, people are assuming that the device will have the same type of battery as the Moto Q due to its size similarity. The Q's standard battery performance has been known to be pretty poor.
    i'm basing my judgement on prior samsungs.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    i'm basing my judgement on prior samsungs.
    Well there you go!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  10. #10  
    if not mistaken, the applications for smartphone is different from pocket pc version. they are not compatible with each other.

    if i'm gonna switch from pocket pc to smartphone, i'll have to re-buy the application. right?

    no touch screen, less application, and the earlier model i320's batter sucks :-(
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If it's WM5 Smartphone version, then that's a minus IMO.
    What are the biggest drawbacks of WM5 Smartphone in your opinion?
  12. #12  
    I don't like the way it handled some things, compared to the full version. But maybe you will, so take this with a grain of salt.

    First off, it was a pain to get the display the way I wanted it. I was so limited, I just had to choose what was closest to what I wanted. I tried a plug-in, it did nothing but mess up the display even more. I deleted it. I could never feel comfortable with the Smartphone screen. The full WM5 display is so much better without even having to modify it much. But maybe that's just a personal preference. I also had trouble trying to change the theme. Changing themes works so much better on full WM5.

    I also do not like the way it entered contacts. There was a limit as to how many letters you can enter per line, that doesn't always help when entering businesses. It also chose for me what the number was used for, even though I tried to edit it to what I wanted. It kept putting "txt" next to the contact's number if it was a cell, when I wanted "mobile". Which is annoying since some of those contacts don't even use text messaging.

    The screen was harder to read because all I got were small thin fonts most of the time, on a small screen. I was only able to change the Today screen to bold font. I think I messed up the display again trying to get the whole phone to readable fonts.

    I just didn't feel comfortable making my way around Smartphone. Hard to read, hard to customize, harder to get around than full WM5. But you may like it, so don't necessarily take my word for it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13.    #13  
    Thanks Diva,
    The screen/font customizations are important to me as well, though most of my contacts are entered through Outlook, so that shouldn't bother me too much. I guess I'll just have to wait and see the i607 and feel it. The fact that it's so much smaller and lighter MAY make up for the shortcomings. I know it will require trade-offs.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot View Post
    Thanks Diva,
    The screen/font customizations are important to me as well, though most of my contacts are entered through Outlook, so that shouldn't bother me too much. I guess I'll just have to wait and see the i607 and feel it. The fact that it's so much smaller and lighter MAY make up for the shortcomings. I know it will require trade-offs.
    you should always try it out in hand before you make any decisions
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    you should always try it out in hand before you make any decisions
    sounds like a good idea...but easier said than done when you live in Canada with so little real mobile competition.... I'll probably end up buying an unlocked version when it's available in the US and ship it.
  16. #16  
    The Q is not really a smart phone. you can read word and Exel documents but you can not edit them.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    The Q is not really a smart phone. you can read word and Exel documents but you can not edit them.
    Eh? Come again? The Q runs Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone edition - so devices like it, the Samsung i607, the Dash, etc are smartphones.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  18. #18  
    I believe what makes a smartphone is more then if it can edit a word/excel document. I personally think the Q & i607 are smartphones. It may not have all the features, etc. of the WM5 Pocket PC version.

    I second JGold's comments.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  19. #19  
    I have the Samsung i320n and I love it because its light and slim. However, the battery life is pretty bad. While the Smartphone OS is good, I miss the Pocket PC OS. I'm really tempted to switch to the treo 750v but it looks so bulky and heavy compared to the i320n. I'm torn

Posting Permissions