1.    #1  
    Been a long time user of the TREO 600 Sprint when it first came out. Decided to trade up when my Sprint contract expired as the coverage sucks. Went with Verizon 700W and used it for a few days. After reading the threads in this forum about the poor memory allocation I became very concerned about my choice of going with the WM vice Palm OS. Then I started thinking, what the heck does Palm know about Windows anyways. Besided, I loved my TREO 600, simple, elegant, very easy to use, never gave me a single problem (except the crappy Sprint coverage). So I went down to the Verizon store and took advantage of their 15 day exchange program and no questions asked, traded in my 700W for the 700P.

So I'll continue to lurk around but on the 700P board.
    Hi! Can you please tell me some of the differences you find between the 700p and the 700w? I upgraded from a 600, but they sent me a 700wx instead of a 700p. I am trying to decide whether to exchange it for the 700p.

Part of the reason I'm considering the exchange is that I'm comfortable with the palm apps I have, and another reason is to avoid using Outlook as PIM, but I can't figure out whether maybe outlook would be better than Palm? Also I heard that the screen in the 700p has a better resolution. But maybe there are advantages to the 700wx that I don't know about? Any help appreciated ;-)
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    if you haven't fallen in love with the WX in a week, send it back. Some users just don't need it...

I have several users who can't believe they ever did without it (me included), and still others who depise it and just cant get past the "complexity" of it.

Andy
    I'm afraid to even open the box, they might not let me send it back? Maybe I'm wrong on this?

What do you mean, "just don't need it"? I'm not worried about "complexity" but more about losing the nice features of my 600 and going to the "dark side" (hehe, I'm even a win programmer and it's still the dark side)
    I'm getting a 700p any day now. I would love to exchange my P for your WX anyday. I think the WX is more user friendly and I'm use to all the apps on the WX in oppose to the P. As soon as I get mine, I'm gonna exchange it for a WX. Reason being that the sero site doesn't have the WX on it yet so the P was the only Treo available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squobug View Post
    I'm getting a 700p any day now.
    Hi! When you get your 700p, can you report on the screen? it's supposed to have a nicer screen than the wx.
    Sure.
  8.    #8  
    The screen on the 700P is only slightly better than the 700W and would not alone be enough to make a decision between the two. The main deciding factor should be do you want the Palm OS vice the WM OS. There are very good reviews on this site as well as cnet.com, recommend going through both of them as well as the discussions on this board before making a decision. One thing is a fact, there are many, many more programs available, many for free, for the Palm OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTCAvery View Post
    The screen on the 700P is only slightly better than the 700W and would not alone be enough to make a decision between the two. The main deciding factor should be do you want the Palm OS vice the WM OS. There are very good reviews on this site as well as cnet.com, recommend going through both of them as well as the discussions on this board before making a decision. One thing is a fact, there are many, many more programs available, many for free, for the Palm OS.
    LOL the reviews are what made me confused, I had my mind made up for the 700p so I could watch my movies and use all my palm aps, but then heard about some of the benes of the wx...but still scared to have Outlook on my pc hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia View Post
    LOL the reviews are what made me confused, I had my mind made up for the 700p so I could watch my movies and use all my palm aps, but then heard about some of the benes of the wx...but still scared to have Outlook on my pc hehehe
    The general arguments in favor of sticking with the PalmOS are:
    1) You have apps you won't have to buy again (except a few that are
    Palm-OS device specific such as Xiino) Some apps you have gotten
    used to may not exist on Windows Mobile, but there probably are
    equivalents. (This might be like trading a Chevy for a Ford. You can
    learn the different vendor and where the different buttons are, but
    there is value in not having to.)
    2) The equivalent tasks are easier to perform on the Palm with less taps.
    (This may change over the next few years but that's how things are
    now.)
    3) You'll have to learn a new set of friends here on TreoCentral.
    (Maybe this would be a good thing)
    4) The 700p screen has 4 times as many pixels as your treo 600 did.
    (The 700w/wx have 2.25 times as many pixels as your treo 600 did.)

The general arguments for switching to 700wx:
    1) The primary one that I can think of is to get WiFi. If this is important,
    definitely make the switch, especially if you don't mind buying some
    new apps.
    2) I think there is a good skype client on Windows Mobile, If you use
    skype, look into whether this is an advantage.
    3) Since you are a windows programmer, if you think you might ever get
    into mobile programming, this would be a good platform to get familiar
    with now.

I'm sure there are other reasons, pro, and con to switching, but those are
    the ones that come to my mind.

-- Bob
    If you do a lot of email, Chatter is your only option. The 700wx will never have Chatter and there isn't anything close for WM5 right now. That's the main reason to go with the 700p. Otherwise, the 700wx is a great device.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    If you do a lot of email, Chatter is your only option. The 700wx will never have Chatter and there isn't anything close for WM5 right now. That's the main reason to go with the 700p. Otherwise, the 700wx is a great device.
    never?
    kinda strange that most of the posters above all have the same number of posts, no?

ok, i'm cynical, i'll admit it.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    AIY! I need to start checking that!
  15.    #15  
    oalvarez and ahalvor, if you are making judgements about people based on their numbers of posts, then you are truly naive. I've had a treo for years, the fact I rarely post means nothing. What are you saying, your first posts you were idiots but now you after so many posts your brains started functioning.
    The number of posts a user has does not define their knowledge. However, most TC users are going to put more weight in the opinion of someone who has more posts than a user with just a few.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    oalvarez and ahalvor, if you are making judgements about people based on their numbers of posts, then you are truly naive. I've had a treo for years, the fact I rarely post means nothing. What are you saying, your first posts you were idiots but now you after so many posts your brains started functioning.
    LOL

Sorry for my low post count. I mostly just "lurk" and was happy with the same phone for the past two years, no need to ask questions if you're not looking for something new....

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm still at a crossroads, but a much more informed crossroads :-/ (based on the above, I was going for the p but then I found out about slingbox compatibility on the wx and now I'm at a draw again, why can't we just have it all?).
    Great post. Sorry ahalvor.
    I just recieved my P this morning and it actually does have a clearer screen than the Ws that I've seen. Not that much of a difference though. Its somewhat like a regular laptop compared to a Mac laptop, if that helps. But I really dont like the Palm version so I called CS and after waiting for about 30 mins on the phone they shipped me out a replacement WX. Can't wait till that gets here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squobug View Post
    I just recieved my P this morning and it actually does have a clearer screen than the Ws that I've seen. Not that much of a difference though. Its somewhat like a regular laptop compared to a Mac laptop, if that helps. But I really dont like the Palm version so I called CS and after waiting for about 30 mins on the phone they shipped me out a replacement WX. Can't wait till that gets here.
    Really!!! I decided to use the WX and take the chance of them not taking it back. It's got a lot of voom to it, but it's taking me a really long time to do things I would normally do quickly. I may decide to stay with it, though, I like the fact it's got pocket excel and am hoping one day for pocket access.

Thanks for the screen info. Someone posted pics in another thread (thanks!) but it's hard to tell from the pics.