1.    #1  
    Is it true that there won't be a version of Chatter for Windows Mobile 5.0? If so, why not? I don't use any part of Office and, in fact, don't like Outlook at all. Maybe the mini-version will be different. Please advise...??? Thanks...
    hmmm... because Chatter has been written from the ground up as a Palm OS application, not a Windows application so rewriting for Windows Mobile would be like writing a completely new Chatter?

That's my guess.
    Last I heard, Marc had no intention of writing one for WM5.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    <moved>
  5.    #5  
    Isn't that going to hurt business? I don't like Outlook at all, for example?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Isn't that going to hurt business? I don't like Outlook at all, for example?
    I didn't like Outlook at all at first. Chatter is a great app for Palm and I used it a lot on my Treo. When I was fed up with the limitations of PalmOS, I moved to the Cingular 8125. Chatter was missed, however I started playing around with an Exchange Server solution. www.mail2web.com is an excellent free solution, however I needed to have my own email displayed rather than the '@mail2web.com' one. I pay for a www.4smartphone.net account. I don't miss chatter one bit. It is a great convenience to have my contacts, tasks, calendar, and email synced on my handheld and laptop all the time. Whenever I change something on 1, the other is immediately updated through the exchange server. The email is also push so it arrives instantly. The only time I sync direclty to my laptop via BT, is when I changed any of my synced spreadsheets or SplashID entries. You should give an exchange solution a shot. Yoy may like it.

BTW, there's another thread on an IMAP push email solution. I had tried FlexMail 2006 and it sucked big time. FM2006 didn't support the IDLE command and it's supposed to support it in FM2007, however it sounds like there are still problems. There were so many issues with FM2006, I can't imagine they fixed even half of them in FM2007.
    If I could find reliable push coupled with the SUMMARY feature in Chatter I would likely make the leap to the 750v. But I am as addicted as a crackberry to Chatter's summary feature. Is there anything out there that has a summary similar to Chatter?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz View Post
    I didn't like Outlook at all at first. Chatter is a great app for Palm and I used it a lot on my Treo. When I was fed up with the limitations of PalmOS, I moved to the Cingular 8125. Chatter was missed, however I started playing around with an Exchange Server solution. www.mail2web.com is an excellent free solution, however I needed to have my own email displayed rather than the '@mail2web.com' one. I pay for a www.4smartphone.net account. I don't miss chatter one bit. It is a great convenience to have my contacts, tasks, calendar, and email synced on my handheld and laptop all the time. Whenever I change something on 1, the other is immediately updated through the exchange server. The email is also push so it arrives instantly. The only time I sync direclty to my laptop via BT, is when I changed any of my synced spreadsheets or SplashID entries. You should give an exchange solution a shot. Yoy may like it.
    Interesting response. What do you consider the "limitations" of the Palm OS? I really would love to hear this as I am anxiously waiting for the Treo 750 for Cingular.

Also, I checked out 4smartphone.net per your suggestion and it does look interesting. I see the basic version doesn't deal with Outlook 2003 too much. Why is that needed anyway? And what do you specificially use 4smartphone.net for? Is Mobile Outlook that comes with WM5 NOT push?

Thanks again...You're all making my decision easier and easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Interesting response. What do you consider the "limitations" of the Palm OS? I really would love to hear this as I am anxiously waiting for the Treo 750 for Cingular.

Also, I checked out 4smartphone.net per your suggestion and it does look interesting. I see the basic version doesn't deal with Outlook 2003 too much. Why is that needed anyway? And what do you specificially use 4smartphone.net for? Is Mobile Outlook that comes with WM5 NOT push?

Thanks again...You're all making my decision easier and easier.
    Limitations I was getting fed-up with:

1. Multi-tasking. I want to be able to have everything open that I need to and when I come back to that program, I want it to be where I left off. For example: music running in background, spreadsheet open, PIE open, email open and a note open. When I jump back and forth between things, I want to go back to where I left off. The big one was Blazer - I hated it having to reload all the time.

2. WiFi. This is more a limitation with the Treo and not PalmOS. The TX and the LifeDrive are great handhelds that have WiFi. I can't figure out why they won't build it in the Treo line. I know a lot of people will say it's not necessary with the 3G networks now, but coverage is still not that widespread. I have a wifi AP in a lot of locations. It's fast and convenient. I use it all the time.

3. Slingbox was actually a minor reason. I still have intentions of getting one. I don't know if there is a slingbox solution or not for PalmOS yet. Haven't been paying attention. I know you can use it with WM5.

4Smartphone.net is an exchange server. It will store all your outlook stuff on their server. Outlook 2003 is necessary to synchronize with the exchange server. Both your PC with Outlook 2003 and handheld with WM5 stay in sync with the exchange server. As soon a change is noted on the Exchange Server, it pushes it to your device that needs to be updated. It does it for email, contacts, tasks, and calendar. It's very convenient. Outlook Web Access is very cool by the way. It looks and acts just like the desktop version of Outlook 2003 in a browser (Internet Explorer - not Firefox unfortunately - Firefox will only display OWA basic).

In terms of Mobile Outlook supporting push - it depends on the firmware. I had to update my firmware on my 8125 to enable push. And by push, I mean Exchange Server Push. Mobile Outlook doesn't support IMAP IDLE command. It can connect and "pull" your IMAP mail and update the folders, just not in the way push should be. It's very manual. Mobile Outlook works nicely with exchange server though. Most new devices running WM5 should all have firmware that has push functionality.
    In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a very good interview with Chatter's founder / developer at mytreo.net:
    http://mytreo.net/archives/2006/09/e...f-chatter.html