Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok, i think i finally know which phone i want. i am leaning towards the 700w. i want to change my service from sprint to verizon. i dont think the 700wx is offered to verizon yet, right? i want to know if i get the 700w, can i upgrade it down the road to the 700wx when it becomes available for verizon?
    Len McGuirk, RealtorŪ
    Prudential Real Estate - Las Vegas
    Buying, selling, just thinking about it?
    www.LasVegasUpscale.com
    I don't think we will see the wx on Verizon. I would think when Verizon gets a new Treo model, it will probably be the newer 750 or similiar model. I believe Sprint demanded that Palm include more memory to sell the 700w series on there network. With all the complaints of the Verizon 700w not having enough memory. With that said, I don't see a upgrade path for the 700w on Verizon. Unless this its something done 3rd party. I know other devices have seen memory upgrades, etc. I wouldn't count on it soon though.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    another note. I have owned both the 700w (Verizon) and the newer 700wx (Sprint). The wx's performance is night and day. However if you are a casual user and don't think you would load a bunch of apps, then the 700w would probably fit the bill.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  4.    #4  
    so you dont think i should switch to verizon? the thing is that i dont get godd service, if any, with sprint at my home. i speak with clients very often and my cell cuts out on me all the time. i was thinking about switching to verizon for better service, plus my extended family has verizon. should i stay with sprint to get the phone i want, or should i switch and just deal with the less memory? i will be using this cell phone as my database also. is there an upgrade download or something that will make it better?
    Len McGuirk, RealtorŪ
    Prudential Real Estate - Las Vegas
    Buying, selling, just thinking about it?
    www.LasVegasUpscale.com
    If you know that VZW has better coverage at your home I would tend to go for the 700w since you are using it for work purposes.

There are other solutions such as installing a cell repeater in your home, but that can get expensive ($200-$400).
    The phone service is the number one thing you should want first. If you don't get a signal at home on Sprint, then the Treo 700wx is a nice $500 paper weight. If you had similiar signals, then I would lean towards the 700wx. Cheaper plans as well on sprint. So the family thing might be a wash. I personally liked Verizon better, but I get similiar service with a better phone.
    Brian McGuire
    Go with Verizon but get the Q or the 650. Do not get the 700w. I repeat...do not get the 700w. You will be sorry. I know I am. I have never had a less reliable piece of electronics...EVER. I am not even a power user...I just like to surf the web while listening to music on the train. If the phone tries to Activesync while I am doing this...FREEZE. Don't waste your time or $$.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Get the wx on sprint. The difference really is huge it is the best pocket pc i have ever owned. Blows away even the ppc6700.

About reception? Most people don't think about this but if you go to your phone option you can choose "Roaming only" for the service so it will grab verizon towers!

I am in the same boat as you, my service here comes and goes with sprint in my house, so I just switch to roaming only and use verizon for voice calls at home and then when i'm out i just choose automatic. Just FYI, voice roaming is free.
    If you do decide to roam, make sure you get unlimited roaming before you rack up a huge bill. Personally, if I had to go with Verizon, I would get a different device, such as the 650 or the xv-6700.
    I would get the 700p on Verizon before I would get the 650.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Ah good point...I seem to have forgotten about the 700p ever since the wx came out....
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Is it possible to unlock a 700wx and then use it on Verizon?
    I just did it.

Picked up a W from Verizon Sunday. The memory, or lack there of, was such a concern I'm going to return it tomorrow.

I picked up a WX today from Sprint. Since it's virtually the same network I'll make the switch without blinking.

I went from having about 12 MB of free program space after a reset to now having over 40 MB free.
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbhm View Post
    Is it possible to unlock a 700wx and then use it on Verizon?
    Can't do it. Trust me, I would've done it 3 weeks ago. Sprint and Verizon, from what I understand, keep an extensive database of the serial numbers of the phones they sell. If you try to activate a phone with a Sprint serial number on the Verizon network it gets flagged and they won't do it. Furthermore, even if this did work Verizon will not support the 700wx b/c they don't sell it and Sprint wouldn't support you b/c you're not on their network. This little trick only works with GSM using the SIM cards, as far as I know.

If I'm wrong please tell me b/c that would make my day!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    According to Palm's website, the w and wx both have 128 megs of memory. Is this incorrect? Am I better off getting a 700p with verizon than a 700w? Unfortunately Sprint doesn't cover where I live.
    I personally wouldn't get the W. I did and returned it because of the memory issue.

You can read the many threads on the issue but what it amounts to is this:

The W offers you 32 MB of available memory to run programs. Once you've opened one application you end up with very little memory to open anything else (sometimes as little as 4 MB.) This basically means you really can't multitask like you thought you could on the device.

The WX offers you 64 MB of available memory to run programs. This makes a HUGE difference as far as the overall speed of the device and the ability to open several applications at once.

With the W I had about 12 MB of available program memory free after a soft reset. With the same stuff loaded on my WX I have over 40 MB free.

If you have to stay with Verizon I'd look at either the P or the Q.

Also, Sprint's coverage should be the same as Verizon's since they share a roaming agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    Also, Sprint's coverage should be the same as Verizon's since they share a roaming agreement.
    Can you access Sprint's full data service while roaming? Usually voice is the only service that actually roams... correct?
    When in digital roam I beleive you are correct, no data.

Not sure though. I also think Sprint does have some "seamless" roaming agreements as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    When in digital roam I beleive you are correct, no data.
    If you only need voice, 700wx is the way to go. I use my Treo as a Blackberry so until I get better coverage -- been waiting for 4 years -- I'll stick with VZW.

(I might go with Cingular though just to get BB Connect.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Go with Verizon but get the Q or the 650. Do not get the 700w. I repeat...do not get the 700w. You will be sorry. I know I am. I have never had a less reliable piece of electronics...EVER. I am not even a power user...I just like to surf the web while listening to music on the train. If the phone tries to Activesync while I am doing this...FREEZE. Don't waste your time or $$.
    Just to show you how this stuff works, I just got a 700W a few weeks ago and it is by far the most reliable phone I have ever had. I have had smartphones like the Q and had to soft reset several times a day....just switched from a i730 that needed 5 or more resets a day....my 700w just went 10 days with out a reset.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast