Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I run Chatteremail on my Treo 650 and love it. I run my own IMAP server that supports IMAP IDLE (for true email push functionality).

Does a WM application like this exist? I'm afraid that the Treo 750 will come out for Cingular and I'll have to get one .
  2. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Nevermind, I found the FlexMail thread on the front forum page.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkx View Post
    Nevermind, I found the FlexMail thread on the front forum page.
    also give VGSMail a 7 day trial run. Basically it just adds imap/idle support to Outlook, that's it. Works pretty well though.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    supposedly mail2web.com has Activesync functionality visa vis exchange based hosting. This will give you push email with pocket outlook.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
  5. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo View Post
    supposedly mail2web.com has Activesync functionality visa vis exchange based hosting. This will give you push email with pocket outlook.

Thanks, but I'm looking for IMAP and not Exchange.
    FlexMail will do IMAP IDLE. The developer is beta testing version 2 (does a better job with IDLE) which is full of bugs. I estimate that it will take at least another month for them to work out all the bugs.
  7. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo View Post
    FlexMail will do IMAP IDLE. The developer is beta testing version 2 (does a better job with IDLE) which is full of bugs. I estimate that it will take at least another month for them to work out all the bugs.
    Thanks.

It'll be at least another month before cingular gets the 750 .
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo View Post
    cool. Just went over to he forums and read up on the progress.

If Rev 2 works out and PhoneAlarm 1.60 adds FM support (it's suppose to) then I finally might make the switch. We'll see!

They are making some progress but the IDLE support stinks with fastmail. The developer claims 100% compatibility but this is not the case. Nowhere near a chatter experience yet. I plan on reviewing the application for this forum but can't in the state it is in, just too buggy. Hopefully they will get to all the bugs before releasing the next version and beef up IDLE (they have a habit of releasing applications before they're ready for prime time, especially the various mail client iterations of FlexMail released over the years).

We will have to wait and see if this application cuts the mustard.
    I also miss chatter, but flexmail build 988 is pretty solid with the exception of fastmail. I attempted to get a later version 1058 to run on the 700WX and everytime it locked up and wouldnt even load.
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    I also miss chatter, but flexmail build 988 is pretty solid with the exception of fastmail. I attempted to get a later version 1058 to run on the 700WX and everytime it locked up and wouldnt even load.
    This program is horrible for me. I've got some sizeable IMAP email boxes that it doesn't download messages for. I have hopes they will improve their product however.
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxic View Post
    This program is horrible for me. I've got some sizeable IMAP email boxes that it doesn't download messages for. I have hopes they will improve their product however.
    have you tried VGSMail? It does Imap/idle:
    http://www.vgsmail.com/ppc/

although the software seems all but abandoned, it works pretty well.

seems a little quirky, but it could be very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxic View Post
    seems a little quirky, but it could be very nice.
    it's a simple and efficient "transport" for imap/idle. it keeps outlook, just adds support for that feature. works well with fastmail and it uses a little power. I just wish the developer would pay attention to it and take it further (he seems uninterested for some reason, though he used to a ton of builds).

vgsmail is OK, but you actually lose some of the built in functionality of Pocket Outlook when using it, such as access to folders and doing manual send/receive.

Also, you can't adjust imap timeout because it's not built for the 700w square screen.
    If the developer of vgsmail would continue making updates I'm sure it would become a very good app.

Given those problems I still prefer it to flexmail because I'm really not a fan of that one at this point. Flexmail IMAP doesnt work well on my server, and it's a huge task just to uninstall it. I'm sure it will get better with time though.

I think all these years of having Chatter has spoiled me.
    Yes chattermail is the one and only POS software that has not been duplicated affectively on the WM platform. Hopefully flexmail will measure up in the future
    I would hold off on FlexMail. The application is still very buggy. New bugs are discovered every day. Basic features like notifications, PUSH flags, handling of large numbers of messages don't work well, etc. If the developer addresses all of the bugs already found, I would think they have another couple of months of solid development. Updates are not released that often. The promise is there with this application, but it has to be stable and relatively bug free with basic features working for it to come closer to a Chatter-like experience.
    The first company to develop a decent mail client for WM5 will be extremely wealthy.

It is amazing there isn't a single solid solution available yet.
    What is the setting for fastmail incoming server in Flexmail?
    Host name: mail.messagingengine.com ?
    Port number?

Thanks
    There are still a lot of problems with FlexMail 07. I have been following the boards over at WebIS closely. Bugs are reported every day, and in my opinion with each new build, very few bugs are fixed and many new bugs are introduced. Comparisons to Chatter's quality are frequent and many users are frusterated with the lack of progress. Their IDLE implementation clearly has problems (it does not maintain a constant connection and has to log in with each request, two-way flag updates don't work, has problems with popular servers like fastmail, etc.), and the developer talks about slowly redesigning that module because it's so ineffecient. Many users also reported that notifications don't work reliably and this was supposed to have been corrected. In my opinion, since the built in Messeging application already handles IMAP well, the single biggest attraction of FlexMail 07 is IMAP IDLE PUSH, like it was for Chatter. WebIS seems to be concentrating on everything else but IDLE, why I don't know. The developer also seems to be irritated with different users who report the same bugs in their beta forum. Isn't that what the beta forum is for? Maybe if they addressed some of these problems, the same bugs wouldn't be reported over and over again. Until WebIS has a rock solid IDLE PUSH implementation in FlexMail with notifications working reliably and basic IMAP support, I would stay away, you will be disappointed. See the unwired review below:

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3391

If they stick with it, fix all the reported bugs, and beef up the IDLE features, they could have something decent by the end of the year, I think. The next released build might give us some idea of how close they are. I have a feeling their development resources on this project are limited and the build quality just isn't anywhere near their other popular product, Pocket Informant.

This product has promise, but it's just not there yet. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by wannatreo; 10/22/2006 at 08:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast