Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Well, I would hesitate to call it a "fix". It definitely hasn't fixed any of the problems I have been having but it has softened the blow. I would call it more of a coverup. It's like installing 100 floors of escalators in the Sears Tower. It doesn't work anywhere near as well or efficiently as putting in some elevators but it sure beats taking the stairs!
    I never claimed it fixed any problems inherent in the phone. This registry hack fixes a problem created with the last OS update. Specifically, the amount of free memory remaining before the OS starts shutting down apps was raised from 2MB to 5MB. Now that threshold can be set lower again.

It's no substitute for more RAM, a faster processor or a more stable OS, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.
    Last edited by Folkie; 10/06/2006 at 12:35 PM.
    Amazing!!! Definately a HUGE improvement. I had the following open at once on my Verizon 700w without any instabilaty or closing of apps:

Pocket Informant 2007
    PIE
    Windows Media
    Pictures and Video
    Solitaire
    WorldMate Pro 2006
    Bubble Breaker
    ActiveSync 4.2
    XCPUScalar @ 524
    WiseBar Lite

I still had a bout 3.3 mb and could readily switch from one app to another without pause or instability.

That's Amazing!!!
    This is AWESOME. I have been wanting this ever since I updated. I will try it out on my 700w. THANK YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
    I've been running the Treo with XCPUScalar and the reserved memory at 3mb for a few days now. It's really not any less stable than it was before. In fact, it seems better overall.
    Anyone else try the registry mod? Experiences?
    My trials, have led me to believe that 3MB is a good setting to balance stabilityand available RAM. At 2MB, I would have to soft reset a frozen device every so often. With 3MB that seems to have gone away, but I can still open PIE and lsteam mysic from ORB without PIE shutting down, for example.

BTW, I also have Xcpuscalar runnig on auto scale mode. Frankly I'm not convinced it is really doing anything, but since I paid for it, I don't want to remove it.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    My trials, have led me to believe that 3MB is a good setting to balance stabilityand available RAM. At 2MB, I would have to soft reset a frozen device every so often. With 3MB that seems to have gone away, but I can still open PIE and lsteam mysic from ORB without PIE shutting down, for example.

BTW, I also have Xcpuscalar runnig on auto scale mode. Frankly I'm not convinced it is really doing anything, but since I paid for it, I don't want to remove it.
    Thus far, I have to agree with levinda, the 3MB works the best. Thanks so much for this!
    Last edited by cmajewsk; 10/08/2006 at 06:49 PM. Reason: .
    I've had ZERO problems with 2MB for 2 days..
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Great find. I have also had mine set to 2MB for the last couple of days with no problems.

It is nice to be able to multi-task again.
  8.    #48  
    I've reset my reserved memory to 2MB and I am still having no problems. Well, no problems that didn't exist before. In fact, once I put the Cookies, History and Temporary Internet Files back into internal storage instead on on the storage card, IE is more stable than it's even been.
    I just received my "W" and was curious if the memory adjustment with the registry is necessary to start out with? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Nope. I haven't done it.

Greg
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    i havent done it, but if you just got the w, why dont you send it back and wait like 2 months till verizon has the wx
    they exchanged my P for a W as a fair swap, so I thought I would try it out.
    that's a nice news... maybe they'll let us exchange w for wx
    I haven’t done any registry hacks & haven’t had any memory issues either! But then again I “Stop All” running programs every morning before I go to work.
    Merged threads.
    Is this fix only for Treo 700W?
    Hi,

This hack seems to work fine for me in one sense, in that I get down to 2 MB (where I've set it) just fine. On the OTHER hand...

When I'm in PIE - only PIE, many times - it sometimes only takes having loaded one or two pages before I get to 2 MB (from 8-10.5 MB to start). Huh?! When things were set at 5 MB, I used to be able to keep loading pages and not get much below 6.

FWIW, here's what I've got loaded into storage memory:

GSPlayer
    MemMaid
    Pocket Informant 2007
    IBM IVE (the Java program that runs Google Maps)
    Kevtris (i.e., Tetris)
    Tweaks2k2 .NET
    Tascal TRE
    Spb Pocket Plus
    Metro
    Macromedia Flash Player ActiveX
    Sync Client
    Picsel
    Sprite
    Palm update

(Total storage memory available = 46.8 M)

I have my IE Cache Folder set to only 100 KB (but the problems occur
    no matter what size the Cache is), saved to main memory.

For example -

1. Nothing running, MemMaid has just reclaimed RAM: 8.3 MB
    (Processes = filesys.exe, gwes.exe, device.exe, services.exe, shell32.exe,
    cprog.exe, ClientShell.exe, connmgr.exe, srvtrust.exe,
    BatteryIndicator.exe, NK.EXE)

2. Start PIE, home page is mobile.msn.com/pocketpc: 6.4 MB

3. Navigate to www.treocentral.com: 3.9 MB ...even though when loading PIE said that the page was only 242 kB, and when I view properties of the page it says 45.5 kB!

Egads, what's going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
    Thus far, I have to agree with levinda, the 3MB works the best. Thanks so much for this!
    I have also switched to 3mb
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by sre18 View Post
    Hi,

This hack seems to work fine for me in one sense, in that I get down to 2 MB (where I've set it) just fine. On the OTHER hand...

When I'm in PIE - only PIE, many times - it sometimes only takes having loaded one or two pages before I get to 2 MB (from 8-10.5 MB to start). Huh?! When things were set at 5 MB, I used to be able to keep loading pages and not get much below 6.

{snip}

Egads, what's going on?
    PIE is probably using more memory since the OS is allowing it to.
    I see similar memory usage, but it is not actually causing a problem with my Treo. Are you experiencing any problems or are you just concerned with how quickly memory seems to get eaten up by PIE?
    Well, I've had mine set to 2MB since this thread was first posted, but I've noticed that my phone will "freeze" much more often now than it did before. It doesn't actually freeze, but whenever my phone connects to the internet to check mail (every 60 minutes) my phone becomes completely unresponsive until the check is complete, and it seems to take longer than it used to. I've just found it very annoying to have to basically wait 2 minutes (I'm in a 1xRT area) before I can even unlock my phone. Once the mail check is done things go back to normal speed, though sometimes my phone will stop acting like a phone, and I can't answer or anything.

Anyway, I'm hoping that changing up to 3MB will be teh "best of both worlds" solution of allowing more things open, but not causing my phone to become unresponsive for such a long time.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast