Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ok, I am a HUGE *****. I forgot to change it from "decimal" to "hexadecimal" before I edited the value to 200000. I'm restarting now so hopefully this will help. Sorry guys!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    I did the hack, and even brought it down to 1M free. Still having apps close on me, but I have not tweaked the "do not close" list in SKtools completely yet. Definitely better, but my phone application has been a little flaky, sometimes not answering, sometines getting BT dropout. I will put back up to 2m to see if that helps.

I assume this hack is not 'sticky' thru soft-resets?

CITITANIC, if you're reading, please put it in your tweaks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I'm new to the whole Windows Mobile way of using memory. What are you guys looking at? Storage or prgram memory?

I did this hack to my 700wx (not sure if it applies to only the 700w?) and I've got all these running:

calendar
    file explorer
    outlook mobile
    excel mobile
    newscopier
    calculator
    notes
    internet explorer
    styletap
    aol
    windows media
    tcpmp

Under storage I have 9.17mb free
    Under program I have 23.91mb free

Like I said I am new to Windows Mobile, so I'm not even sure if I should have done this hack, but I love editing the registry
    there refering to the program memory. a post like yours is just going to **** the 700w prople off. you have 12 things running at the same time. the 700w is lucky to do 3. i'm not trying to rub it in 700w people. i'm just explaining it to those how have the wx and don't under stand.

i glad to see you guys get some kind of fix. this does deserve a sticky. btw, look at this guys post count... good to have you on board

cody
    Thanks Cody, I don't really understand the whole Windows Mobile memory scheme(I'm googling to find out how it works), sorry if I made anyone mad. My bad.
    Jimmie Geddes
    This might be a bit off-topic but falls in the same camp but I'm convinced the problems with PIE closing as soon as it's opened is due to some software/website glitch and not memory. I have not made any changes to my phone since I did the update in May and had a really nice stretch of about 3-4 weeks where my PIE only closed on rare occassions...in the last week, it has done so at least 50% of the time and even after a soft reset!!! So I'm not sure that problems is related to memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
    This might be a bit off-topic but falls in the same camp but I'm convinced the problems with PIE closing as soon as it's opened is due to some software/website glitch and not memory. I have not made any changes to my phone since I did the update in May and had a really nice stretch of about 3-4 weeks where my PIE only closed on rare occassions...in the last week, it has done so at least 50% of the time and even after a soft reset!!! So I'm not sure that problems is related to memory.
    Did you happened to move the cache folders to the storage card? If so, that could be the problem. When I was using the 6700, after moving the cache folders to the storage card, PIE will close out by itself all the time. Moving the cache back to main memory fixes this. It's possible that this applies to all WM5 devices as I never had this problem when I had the Imate JAM (WM2003SE).
    I would say this definitely helps, if only a little bit. But every little bit helps as they say. Great find!
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    I can't find that in my registry. Or is it under a different name?
    thank you, works much better
    Wont this memory hack, while increasing the ability to keep more programs open actually slow down the OS? If there is less free RAM, things will slow down considerably and will cause more "freezing" and soft resets.
    I haven't noticed any slowdowns. I can now concurrently run apps that wouldn't run before. This is the best find for the 700w since Oxios Hibernate!
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    No slowdowns here too. I actually now need to occasionally check to close any unneeded open apps running in the background now...
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    THANKS!!!!

This has been bugging me since the upgrade. I couldn't figure out what it was myself. Every time I'd open up a link to stream a video from PIE, PIE would close. I made this change and that no longer happens.
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Looking good so far. Thanks!
  15.    #35  
    glad the 'Folkie Solution' is working!
    If I run across any more magic bullets, I'll be sure to post them.
    this works spectacularly. I have a ton of apps open and everything is functioning. It's definitely going to the 2mb threshold before shutting down apps.
    Ok folks, I want to get this solution a bit more exposure. I'll apply the hack to a 700w that I have (that I'm supposed to be sending on to Ducker, but he'll have to wait. Sorry, ducks!). Malatesta or Hobbes - if you're reading this, I could really use your WM brains WRT how the memory works.

Hopefully an article on it next week.
    How well does this hack work on the 700w?
    Well, I would hesitate to call it a "fix". It definitely hasn't fixed any of the problems I have been having but it has softened the blow. I would call it more of a coverup. It's like installing 100 floors of escalators in the Sears Tower. It doesn't work anywhere near as well or efficiently as putting in some elevators but it sure beats taking the stairs!
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Well, I would hesitate to call it a "fix". It definitely hasn't fixed any of the problems I have been having but it has softened the blow. I would call it more of a coverup. It's like installing 100 floors of escalators in the Sears Tower. It doesn't work anywhere near as well or efficiently as putting in some elevators but it sure beats taking the stairs!
    LOL. Perfect analogy.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast