Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    I've noticed that even after correclty uninstalling application and telling NOT to save their settings for future use, they still keep some info on my device using up memory.

Pocket Informant left a file called Mobile Device\PocketInformant.vol and a folder named Program Files\WebIS. iLauncher left a folder named Program Files\SBSH\iLauncher. Weather Panel left a blank folder named Program Files\MarsWare.

My question is, is it safe to delete these folders while Exploring the device through ActiveSync? I wouldn't want to screw up my device but some of these folder are using up memory I may need in the future.

Thanks in advance as usual!
    yes you can delete those folders with no negative side effects. Also search the registry for left over keys and delete those. Always back up the registry before installing an application because some apps will make changes to the registry but then won't leave it as it found it when you remove the program. For this reason only try 1 program at a time. You can get a free prog off download.com that will allow you to analyze the registry files, new and old to see what changes a prog makes to your registry.

I'll go get the link in a minute.
    I find the builtin uninstaller to be very bad at uninstalling programs. It leave tons of files/regkeys behind. I have been using SKTools for a while now and it does a good job. Give it a try...
    i find the best way to remove completely is to use active sync.

and then i go to program files and check and make sure there is a left over folder. if so i remove.
    I use both MemMaid and SKTools and then sometimes browse by my registry JIK.

I don't think you really need both MemMaid and SKTools but I had a license for both going way back when they were very different programs.

SKTools now is a better value, imo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Are these programs something else than registry editors? Or are they designed to look for unused registry entries and delete them?

I found entried on my registry from PocketInformant and iLauncher, both programs I unistalled. Can I just erase these entries with Resco's registry editor?

Also, Malatesta I remember hearing you say you changed the width of the scroll bars on the registry, I browsed a little but have no idea where that entry is.

Thanks for all the replies!
    Frm pdaphonehome.

I use PHM Registry Editor and this worked without problems.
    HKLM\System\GWE\cxVScr is a decimal value that controls the Vertical Scroll Bar WIDTH. Default is 13 pixels (Change it to 20 and you'll have what you want - a wider vertical scroll bar)HKLM\System\GWE\cyVScr is a decimal value that controls the Vertical Scroll Bar HEIGHT (effectively the size of the arrow boxes at either end of the scroll bar). Default is 20 pixelsHKLM\System\GWE\cxHScr is a decimal value that controls the Horizontal Scroll Bar WIDTH (effectively the size of the arrow boxes at either end of the scroll bar). Default is 20 pixelsHKLM\System\GWE\cyHScr is a decimal value that controls the Horizontal Scroll Bar HEIGHT. Default is 13 pixels (Change it to 20 to get a taller horizontal scroll bar)
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    What are .vol files? I have a pim.vol and a PocketInformant.vol on my root directory. I have uninstalled PocketInformant so I was wondering if I could remove that one.

pim.vol I have no idea though...
    pim.vol stores your contacts and appointments information. It may also stores other info also but I'm not positive. If you are not using Pocket Informant anymore, it's probably safe to delete that vol. But I would back that file up first, delete it, soft reset, and see if everything is functioning properly first