Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I've receieved two WX's from Sprint, and am keeping my 700p instead.

For me, Palm OS doesn't need to multitask because it switches from app to app so much more quickly than WM5. In any event, PTunes Deluxe plays in the background; what else would you need to run simultaneously.

The yellow/grey low-res screen on the WX is just a downer when compared to the P; just no comparison.

Switching apps is a multi-step pain, and opening/screen rendering from app to app is damn slow on the WX. There's just no denying that the P is much zippier.

Finally, both DTBK6 and Agendus are cleaner, faster and more attractive that Pocket Informant or Fusion.

As for usability and one-handed use, again the P wins w/ no real contest.

So what's the big sell on the 700wx other than SiruCE?

I just don't understand how anyone could favor the WX is these devices are meant to be portable and easy to use.
    Interesting post. I thought that the wx was much faster at switching apps than the p so I must have misunderstood something. I haven't had a chance to go to the stores and see for myself. I'm not surprised to see this though, many of the Palm apps have gone through many years of refinement. The screen seems to be a pretty big issue with many users.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09/23/2006 at 12:37 PM.
    Well you are going to receive a variety of feedback on your post, but I think it illustrates the beauty of choice. POS works for some, WM5 works for some. Personally, I used Palm for many years before switching to WM5. After learning the OS and its power, I can never return to POS. It just works for my business needs.

I too didn't like (and returned) the wx. I found the small screen was just too difficult to use. The 6700 works great for me.

Fortunately the Palm OS works for you. Different strokes...
    I suspect the enthusiasm with which the Tc community is accepting the Wx and 750 will mean that POS devices will be marginalized. Palm's recent earnings report shows the 700p was not the device millions of treonauts were waiting for, as it did not re-invigerate Palm sales as many thought it would. The growing WM5 community of which the w devices are part of will accelerate this move. Already most of the posts seems to be wm5 related, and the wx and 750v sub-forums have more people viewing them than the 700p forum. In a year's time TC will be very different from now, and one wonders if a PalmLinux device will be enough to re-capture the market.

Surur
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    It could be that Palm OS is being phased out. Hopefully, we will have a WM5 Treo w better screen resolution. A WM overhaul would be nice too.

No doubt that the software choices on WM are broader.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post

So what's the big sell on the 700wx other than SiruCE?
    #1) Slingplayer, I used orb, mobitv etc... Slingplayer rules!

#2) Faster native browser than the 700p. (seriously, I compared it with a coworker that has a 700p, the 700wx is faster)

#3) Very stable, unlike the 700p (seriously) I even still wonder why... even after my reg hacks I still have yet to witness a crash. Never done a hard reset, soft resets ONLY using a backup program (I use sprite, comes with the wx for free).

You pointed out the negatives for the wx, I'm just here to fill in the gaps, the positives, to answer your question.

Don't get me wrong, I love both OS's, I have over $200 of software invested in both. IMHO WM5 has one up on POS, just waiting for POS to reply...

-Oly
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I do admit that Palm crashes sometimes if 2 events occur simultaneously. (ie, a call comes in as an IM is going out). otherwise, I may have been blessed with a particularly stable P.

I guess it truly is a subjective choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Interesting post. I thought that the wx was much faster at switching apps than the p so I must have misunderstood something. I haven't had a chance to go to the stores and see for myself. I'm not surprised to see this though, many of the Palm apps have gone through many years of refinement. The screen seems to be a pretty big issue with many users.
    Some members are denial claiming "you can barely tell the difference" with the screen res...not a problem, I have been their...telling myself I like the color...since I spent the money knowing I don't.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    My wife is a total windoze user but loves her 700p, I am a mac user and love my 700wx.

It's great we have a choice...I hope Palm continues to see a business model for 2 OS's.

Andy
    I've had the 600 and the 650, both of which were very good to me, did pretty much every thing I wanted/needed. When the WX came out, I thought hohum mobile windows, it will probably be buggy like XP was when it first hit. But being the adventuring new adopter of tech, I read some reviews, found some things the WX did that the 650 did not (sirius) and took a shot, I had palm 30 day guaranty so if I had to I could return it.

Screen size, I wish the rez was better but, I can live with it, it is a phone after all

I can now get company mail without using goodmail (saves the company $), vpn in to the company network, listen to sirius anywhere I go if I care to, an all inclusive chat client to cover AIM, Gtalk, Yahoo, RSS reader, blue tooth pair with my Macbook pro for internet access.

So far the honeymoon is going good, not sorry I made the switch.
    I suspect the enthusiasm with which the Tc community is accepting the Wx and 750 will mean that POS devices will be marginalized. Palm's recent earnings report shows the 700p was not the device millions of treonauts were waiting for, as it did not re-invigerate Palm sales as many thought it would. The growing WM5 community of which the w devices are part of will accelerate this move. Already most of the posts seems to be wm5 related, and the wx and 750v sub-forums have more people viewing them than the 700p forum. In a year's time TC will be very different from now, and one wonders if a PalmLinux device will be enough to re-capture the market.
    Nice analysis Surur. And probably growing truer with each Palm news bit.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    This is my exact conclusion....the 700p Palm OS is just plain easier to use. PIM, email, info, etc is right there. Sure it has its resets here or there but usually in most cases, it's a software issue causing the resets.

I just can't see waiting 5 secs for AF or PI to open and update PIM info when Agendus opens almost instantly!

The 700wx is nice AND has been improved, but after using the 700p Palm OS, I prefer the ease of use from the Palm interface.
    Last edited by fkjr2; 09/23/2006 at 02:30 PM.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I just can't get past the lower screen resolution of the wx. I have moved back and forth between POS and WM5. I would switch to the wx in a heartbeat if it had the higher resolution of the P. Many say they don't really notice the difference. For me, the difference is night and day. So I stay with the P until I see better resolution on the wx.

On a side note, very few of the Verizon stores I have visited have the 700w on display. I can't understand why this is. I can dream and say it would be something if Verizon trumped Sprint and put out a device with similar memory to the wx with a higher resolution screen. Now that would be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    .....Already most of the posts seems to be wm5 related, and the wx and 750v sub-forums have more people viewing them than the 700p forum. In a year's time TC will be very different from now, and one wonders if a PalmLinux device will be enough to re-capture the market.

Surur
    I'm a 700p owner and yes I visit the WX and 750 forum more than the P. 700P forum has been dead lately. WX is defintely very intruiging.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post
    It could be that Palm OS is being phased out. Hopefully, we will have a WM5 Treo w better screen resolution. A WM overhaul would be nice too.

No doubt that the software choices on WM are broader.
    I would definitely jump ship for a better res screen. But most likely will be 640x640 which will probably require more memory to run. So this is probably not gonna happen anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I would definitely jump ship for a better res screen. But most likely will be 640x640 which will probably require more memory to run. So this is probably not gonna happen anytime soon.
    The next WM res up is 480x480, and yes, pushing more pixels will require more memory and more processor, meaning marginally slower devices, but I'm sure it will be worth it appearance-wise.

Who knows, maybe after conceding the fight by adding 32MB RAM to the wx, Palm may ask MS to add 320x320 support to WM5. This is doable, and Motorola for example got MS to add 320x240 support in the smartphone OS (which up to then only supported 240x320).

Surur
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    This thread, once again debating the virtues of POS over WM or vice versa (tired ), fails to mention one important factor for some people: Direct Push
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    This thread, once again debating the virtues of POS over WM or vice versa (tired ), fails to mention one important factor for some people: Direct Push
    What is that? Maybe it will push me over to the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Bingo. Besides Goodlink, there is no good enterprise email solution available for the 700p at all.

As for multi-tasking, I could never use a phone again without it.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I dont know how you can say that the wx is slower.

When I turn on the device, I can easily see if what emails\texts i have, what my events are for the day, etc.

What do i get when i turn on the 700p? Maybe a little yellow blinking thing in the corner, which is a pain in the arse to "click"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast