Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    intellisync is enterprise strength and available for most devices including 700p. my company wtih 300,000 employees uses intellisync side by side with blackberry adn more and more folks are going treo with intellisync.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt View Post
    I dont know how you can say that the wx is slower.

When I turn on the device, I can easily see if what emails\texts i have, what my events are for the day, etc.

What do i get when i turn on the 700p? Maybe a little yellow blinking thing in the corner, which is a pain in the arse to "click"
    You can hold down the center button on the D pad rather than clicking the bell icon. Also, you can run a freeware app called autoexec that will let you run whatever program you want at bootup (like calendar).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    You can hold down the center button on the D pad rather than clicking the bell icon. Also, you can run a freeware app called autoexec that will let you run whatever program you want at bootup (like calendar).
    Also, there are plenty of Palm apps that offer a comprehensive today screen (like, "2day"). I use Datebk6, which has a customizable today screen on which I can link to email and weather, and can be alerted as to whether I have any new messages.

2day does even more, and is very similar in features to WM5's today screen.

What you notice on the WX is a delay and then a 56k-like downward-motion page-rendering as the new app opens. For me, it feels like 1985.
    Quote Originally Posted by hansbuehler View Post
    intellisync is enterprise strength and available for most devices including 700p. my company wtih 300,000 employees uses intellisync side by side with blackberry adn more and more folks are going treo with intellisync.
    Not to familar with intellisync. Does it allow secure direct push email, calendar, and contacts with an Exchange server environment without needing to invest in any additional hardware or software?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Does Intellisync do OTA?

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post
    What you notice on the WX is a delay and then a 56k-like downward-motion page-rendering as the new app opens. For me, it feels like 1985.
    This does not sound good at all. I'm wondering if a lot of apps do that. I've also heard that On Demand and other programs take a long time to open (on all wx devices?).
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    This does not sound good at all. I'm wondering if a lot of apps do that. I've also heard that On Demand and other programs take a long time to open (on all wx devices?).
    Look, this one of those things where you have to try it yourself.

I have no slowdowns on my device (I don't use OnDemand as that is a poorly coded, junky, freeware that I have no idea why people use in the first place) and all my apps are zippy.

I posted this at SU re: slowdowns

But what most people neglect to mention is that on the 700wx, you only need to "launch" the program once since you can then minimze the app (that's why it's the default behavior of the OS to minimize and not close apps!).

When you call that app back up I can gurantee it's now 1-second. This is why after a soft reset (rare as they are) I just open up Outlook, IE, RSS, maybe Opera and leave them running all the time with no issues. For me, this is "instant", as fast as Palm and more stable.

Now if for some reason you are closing every single app after you use them (which is going against what the OS is designed for) then sure, you'll have slower times.

There is no reason for this behavior though as you can run easily half a dozen apps or more with no "slow downs".
    This is why I don't understand how people are having slow downs. Now, if you have a 32mb PIM file...okay so maybe that might have some slowdowns but that is certainly out of the ordinary.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    To be fair, the downward page-rendering is not nearly as slow as an 80's-style 56k modem, but that is a fair way to describe the effect.

It could very well be that, second-for-second, Palm OS apps open equally slowly at times (or even more slowly), but Palm's occasional white screen delay doesn't create an impression of slowness like the WX's downward rendering effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post
    Also, there are plenty of Palm apps that offer a comprehensive today screen (like, "2day"). I use Datebk6, which has a customizable today screen on which I can link to email and weather, and can be alerted as to whether I have any new messages.

2day does even more, and is very similar in features to WM5's today screen.
    I know 2day, I have used 2day, and I like 2day, but it is not even close to the windows mobile today screen.

1. Few available plugins (and all come from the 2day developer)
    2. There is no word wrap. It drove me crazy that I can only see the first part of all my appointments as the rest ran off the screen.
    3. Not even in the same ballpark when it comes to customization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Look, this one of those things where you have to try it yourself...
    Thank you for the input. Not having seen a wx, all these tidbits add up to a better understanding of how it actually performs. One thing I will say though, On Demand is quite zippy on the 700p, and it almost sounds as if you are talking of a different application. Perhaps the implementation of this app on the wx needs tweaking.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    It never seems slow to me. Screens load of suprisingly fast, a lot faster than expected. I had a ppc 6700, that was slow, id always see the "hour glass" icon and things took forever to respond and low. But with the wx, it just seems like everything is fast. Even rendering web pages I think is faster.
    Thank you for the input. Not having seen a wx, all these tidbits add up to a better understanding of how it actually performs. One thing I will say though, On Demand is quite zippy on the 700p, and it almost sounds as if you are talking of a different application. Perhaps the implementation of this app on the wx needs tweaking.
    The WM5 version of On Demand requires the .NET CF 2.0 framework to run. This is preinstalled on the wx, but if you download Pocket Express (unbranded Sprint version), you will need to download this as well. From my experience, anything that requires this framework runs VERY slow. It basically has to initiate before running On Demand, Pocket Express, etc. I am hoping MS changes this on WM6. It acts kind of like the Java Virtual Machine for Java apps. Obvioiusly the 700p does not require this, hence the performance difference.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    The WM5 version of On Demand requires the .NET CF 2.0 framework to run. This is preinstalled on the wx, but if you download Pocket Express (unbranded Sprint version), you will need to download this as well. From my experience, anything that requires this framework runs VERY slow. It basically has to initiate before running On Demand, Pocket Express, etc. I am hoping MS changes this on WM6. It acts kind of like the Java Virtual Machine for Java apps. Obvioiusly the 700p does not require this, hence the performance difference.
    Now I understand. Thank you very much for that clear explanation.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12