Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Information about Treo 750 smartphone for Cingular, USA - leaked
    September 23, 2006 [Pocket PC phone]
    It is one thing when certain sources in Asia reveal secret roadmaps of HTC, including information and photos but it is another thing if handset vendor itself is so amateurish that it leaks photos through its own web site! This is the case of Palm: 2 new models, one Palm OS based and one Windows Mobile based:

... have just leaked through Palm's web site. Treo 750v has been announced in Europe on September 12, 2006, by European operator Vodafone and here comes Treo 750 for Cingular:

... that is supposed not to be known or launched at least 3 months of exclusivity period after launch of Treo 750v for Vodafone. One could argue that Vodafone operates (mainly) in Europe, while Cingular is USA-only operation so there is no conflict if Cingular would launch this phone sooner than 3 months after 750v, but clearly then it would not be "worldwide exclusivity" but "European exclusivity".

Anyway Palm's claims that Treo 750v was especially designed for Europe are pathetic. It is true that it lacks protruding antenna (apparently Europeans don't like it, while Americans love it), but it lacks camera in the front for video calling - an essential feature among European 3G networks. In other words: Palm is lying because lack of video calling means that Treo 750v is crippled right from the beginning and is thus NOT designed for European market, where 3G video calling is standard.

On the other hand UMTS and HSDPA phones for Cingular have tendency to miss out on the front camera for video calling, like it is in the case of HTC Hermes for Cingular, so one could even claim that Treo 750 (in general, including Treo 750v) was designed for American, not European market!

Clearly Palm has no such big resources as Motorola or Samsung - other companies making Windows Mobile phones, so Palm is just re-releasing the same phones under different names, like it was with Treo 700w and Treo 700wx and now with Treo 750v and Treo 750. However it is not justification for some amateurish behavior of Palm, and we don't mean just leaking photos, but: lack of total clarity about HSDPA in Treo 750v (unofficial private emails are not enough - and official pages of Palm and Vodafone don't mention HSDPA, just UMTS) and lack of bult-in Wi-Fi (argument that Wi-Fi drains battery too much is laughable because users can switch it off).

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5599.html

Unfortunately he makes a lot of sense. MSMobiles rants usually have very little substance, but in this case he's exactly right. Palm seems to make a business out of lying and misleading people. Amateurish indeed.

Surur
    That's what I always say about wifi!! People know by now it drains the battery so they only turn it on when needed!

This does make me wonder when exactly the 750 for Cingular is coming, though. Is it after the 3 months or sooner?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by msmobiles
    Information about Treo 750 smartphone for Cingular, USA - leaked
    September 23, 2006 [Pocket PC phone]
    ... that is supposed not to be known or launched at least 3 months of exclusivity period after launch of Treo 750v for Vodafone. One could argue that Vodafone operates (mainly) in Europe, while Cingular is USA-only operation so there is no conflict if Cingular would launch this phone sooner than 3 months after 750v, but clearly then it would not be "worldwide exclusivity" but "European exclusivity".
    When did Palm ever say that the Vodafone exclusivity for the 750 would be a worldwide? If you watch TreoCentral's interview with Mase, he makes it pretty clear that Vodafone's exclusivity applies just to Europe and that carriers elsewhere in the world will have the phone too: "There's a limited period of exclusivity for Vodafone in Europe... We've launched with Vodafone first but you've got to imagine we're launching with other operators... you can expect to see it on other networks other than Vodafone as well". He does say that there won't be an unlocked version anywhere in the world until the Vodafone exclusive is over (because the unlocked version could be imported into Europe) but that's very different to there saying there will be no version other than the Vodafone version during the period of Vodafone exclusivity.

Anyway Palm's claims that Treo 750v was especially designed for Europe are pathetic. It is true that it lacks protruding antenna (apparently Europeans don't like it, while Americans love it), but it lacks camera in the front for video calling - an essential feature among European 3G networks.
    Nokia didn't think it's essential on the E61. Notably both the 750v and the E61 are marketed as business phones; perhaps Palm and Nokia know more about this market than msmobiles.

lack of total clarity about HSDPA in Treo 750v (unofficial private emails are not enough - and official pages of Palm and Vodafone don't mention HSDPA, just UMTS)
    Fair point, although Mase does say it will be software upgradable to HSDPA, both Palm and Vodafone could have made this clearer.

argument that Wi-Fi drains battery too much is laughable because users can switch it off
    Agree completely. It's an insult to users to suggest that they can't manage the battery life themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Unfortunately he makes a lot of sense. MSMobiles rants usually have very little substance, but in this case he's exactly right. Palm seems to make a business out of lying and misleading people. Amateurish indeed.
    While I agree with some bits of the rant (clarity about HSDPA, nonsense of the no Wifi argument, things leaking out is a bit amateurish), I don't think there's really a lot support the most serious accusation, i.e. that Palm are lying when they say it was designed for the European market. The only evidence presented to support this is the lack of a front-facing camera, and that's weak at best.
    I think Palm may be just clueless to what's really needed on current smartphones. Or too ing cheap to put it on! I think they did make the phone mainly for Europe, but used their same old "dumb down features to last year's" strategy and hope people won't complain. Looks like Europe is not as tolerant as the US in forgiving Palm.

I do think that the "exclusivity" thing is confusing. They probably should have put a lid on the Cingular pictures for now. Or just said outright that they were going to release 2 versions of the 750.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    The exclusivity is indeed wrong, as Palm did specifically say it was a European exclusive, but if we add in the bluetooth 1.2 statement, the threaded SMS issue, and the 32 MB RAM issue, Palm certainly appears to have a problem with truthful and open communication.

Surur
    Palm has a problem spelling out details cause then we'll know they fudged on features again. They dance around the issue to get out of it.

And the 750v has 1.2 or above BT, doesn't it? It better in nearly 2007!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think Palm may be just clueless to what's really needed on current smartphones. Or too ing cheap to put it on!
    Lol! I'll go with second explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The exclusivity is indeed wrong, as Palm did specifically say it was a European exclusive, but if we add in the bluetooth 1.2 statement, the threaded SMS issue, and the 32 MB RAM issue, Palm certainly appears to have a problem with truthful and open communication.
    I'd forgotten about the bluetooth thing. Just for clarity, are we sure that WM5 supports 2.0? I know HTC have BT 2.0 devices but are we sure that they didn't add support for 2.0 themselves? If 2.0 really is supported by WM5 then I'll agree that Mase at least is either clueless or a liar.
    I think we should add that the price was inconclusive. I thought people were going to get a deal from the initial posting prices. Turns out they're not. That could be VF's fault though.

[I]

Surur
    MSMobiles is late to the party. We have been observing this behavior on the part of Palm for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    MSMobiles is late to the party. We have been observing this behavior on the part of Palm for years.
    agreed.

MSMobiles is a strange site to me. Its run by a guy who seems dedicated to Windows Mobile, but all he does is slam it left and right. He often seems to complain first, check for facts second.

As for Palm, their inability to.... recognize the wifi market, support BT 2.0, and support the US GSM market in any way is distressing. I wish the maker of the greatest mobile device (treo) would show the vision and creativity of HTC.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I'd forgotten about the bluetooth thing. Just for clarity, are we sure that WM5 supports 2.0? I know HTC have BT 2.0 devices but are we sure that they didn't add support for 2.0 themselves? If 2.0 really is supported by WM5 then I'll agree that Mase at least is either clueless or a liar.
    WM5 supports bluetooth 1.2, but bluetooth 2.0 is available depending on which chips you purchase, as they often come with the drivers included. Of course Palm went for the cheapest option.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    agreed.

MSMobiles is a strange site to me. Its run by a guy who seems dedicated to Windows Mobile, but all he does is slam it left and right. He often seems to complain first, check for facts second.

As for Palm, their inability to.... recognize the wifi market, support BT 2.0, and support the US GSM market in any way is distressing. I wish the maker of the greatest mobile device (treo) would show the vision and creativity of HTC.
    As I have already said, if Palm forces me to go to WM for UMTS, I will abandon Palm and do it on HTC. One of the things that I like about HTC is its commitment to open standards. For example, it uses (mini) USB in preference to the ever-changing proprietary connectors used by Palm. Not only is Palm not compatible with the rest of the industry, it is not compatible product to product.

Here are the specs for the HTC/TyTN:

Platform
    Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ 5.0

Memory
    ROM: 128MB
    RAM: 64MB SDRAM

Dimension
    112.5 mm (L) X 58 mm (W) X 21.95 mm (T)

Weight
    176g with battery

LCD Type
    2.8'' TFT-LCD
    240 X 320 with 65,536 colours

UMTS/GSM/EDGE
    UMTS: 2100 for Europe, 850/1900 for US
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900

Connectivity
    Bluetooth® 2.0
    Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    Infrared IrDA SIR
    Mini-USB

Camera
    Main: 2 Mega pixel with macro shooting & flash light
    Second: Colour CIF camera
    Digital zoom: Up to 8x

Audio
    Microphone/Speaker: Built-in/Dual, hands-free

Headphone: AMR/AAC/WAV/WMA/MP3 codec
    Battery

Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer battery
    Capacity: 1,350 mAh
    Standby time: 180 ~ 250 hrs
    Talk time: GSM: 4 ~ 5 hrs, UMTS: 2 ~ 4 hrs

Expansion Slot
    Micro SD memory card

AC Adapter
    AC input/frequency: 100 ~ 240 AC, 50/60Hz
    DC output: 5V and 1A

Note that, except for the OS, these specs are very competitive with the Treo and contain many features that Palm users have been asking for for years.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/23/2006 at 10:10 AM.
    Note that, except for the OS, these specs are very competitive with the Treo and contain many features that Palm users have been asking for for years.
    I think that part of the reason that Palm is so unresponsive to users is the structure of the US Market. The GSM market is both world-wide and flat. In that market one cannot play off carriers against one another and against the end-users. If HTC wants to be competitive, they must be the best phone rather than simply the best phone offered by Sprint or Verizon. They must also be system cost competitive; they cannot artificially inflate their revenues by selling proprietary accessories and changing them for each new product.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    ....an essential feature among European 3G networks....where 3G video calling is standard.
    Really, I don't see every European phone having two cameras. I've yet to see or hear of anyone who uses video calling or even people asking about it.

MSMobiles is poorly written and poorly researched
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    ...in preference to the ever-changing proprietary connectors used by Palm.
    They've used the same connector on all models since the 650, hardly ever changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]That's what I always say about wifi!! People know by now it drains the battery so they only turn it on when needed!
    No, in fact casual users DON'T know that WiFi drains their battery, and they will flood Palm with support calls and product returns when they are STUNNED that their Treo's only last ten to twenty minutes while using WiFi...

As data networks progress to EVDO and other 3G and 4G streams Palm (and other manufacturers) know that THIS is the best methodology for delivering IP to cell devices, not integrating WiFi. In the future - starting now - we are going to see LESS WiFi integration and not MORE.
  18.    #18  
    Again, are Americans stupid? They don't know when they speed they use more gasline, and end up calling GM? Or when they use wifi on their laptop they use more battery, and call Dell?

Are Americans really so stupid, or do you and Palm really think very very little of them.

Surur
    I have to agree with Keefer. Everyone I've ever met with a Treo or WM PDA, etc.. have only the very faintest idea how to use them. I know a VP where I work and a software developer. They both have Treo 650s and they both have the default ringtones and volume at max (you can hear it across the entire building). I don't think either of them have ever used their devices for anything other than calls, a few contacts, and maybe the calendar. I know of lots of other people like that.

I have at a Verizon store yesterday, and a couple was there a technical support complaining their Treo 650 only lasts two days on a charge. They said it should last at least two weeks, they don't want to charge it so often.

None of these people I've met with Treos have even the faintest clue how to even turn bluetooth on and off.

This board is very skewed with regards to most people buying these products. A salesman was commenting to me yesterday that they got an order for 4000 Treos from Boeing. I can bet you most of those people getting them will be like the VP I know. Most of these existing features are way beyond the amount of time that any of these people bother to learn a phone. They turn it on, put it in their pocket and sometimes charge it. It's sad, but it's reality at this point. Lots of people still can't figure out how to program their VCRs, you think they suddenly become more technically interested because you give them a smartphone?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Again, are Americans stupid? They don't know when they speed they use more gasline, and end up calling GM? Or when they use wifi on their laptop they use more battery, and call Dell?

Are Americans really so stupid, or do you and Palm really think very very little of them.

Surur
    I'm not going to single it out as an American vs world issue, but a lot of people who are NOT tech savvy buy tech devices. Certainly the bulk of Treo buyers will understand how WiFi works and its effects on the battery. But if 10% don't and either call Palm to complain or try to return the phones, that would be a disaster for Palm. I can't tell you how many times I've had people toting expensive cellphones, laptops and other electronica ask me very non-tech savvy questions. I imagine Europe and the rest of the world have their share of these folks just like the US.

I'm not accepting this as an excuse for Palm. They could simply make an effort to EDUCATE their consumers: put an insert in the box that says "WARNING: Wifi will drain your battery if you don't turn it off when not in use. HEre's how:" Problem solved.

But I also agree with Keefer Lucas to a point. When 3G networks are everywhere, which will be sooner than most on this board seem to think, Wifi will start to become a thing of the past, like payphones once cellphones became ubiquitous. BUT, that surely won't happen for at least 2 more years, and we'll all have new phones by then, so current models being released really could include it.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast