Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I do not get the hw6915. Why would anyone leave POS for WM w/o getting 3G radio? I mean it seems a nice enough phone but I already have EDGE and I did not have to go to WM to get it.

[Much less have to buy and learn new GPS software. I had not even thought of that until I read their ad.]

That said, if a GSM user is willing to go to WM, they have a lot more choice of hardware than if one is a CDMA user.
    maybe because people realize that WM is the better OS for them for one reason or another?
    Well they still insist on putting out Palm OS devices(700p, 680) and they are the only one who does, so it's still their signature OS, more or less. So they need to forget the Palm OS outright and quit trying to pretend they still care about it's users, because it's obvious they don't. Or try to help update it one way or another, if they're going to keep using it. And NOT those paltry one decimal point updates. Because what they're doing with it is pitiful!! Still selling the same OS from what, 2 years ago, on the 680? And we're how far away from 2007??

So how hard is it to admit they really want to use WM from now on?? Are they afraid of disappointing Palm OS customers? Well they already have just about, too late for that! The 700p is the last UPDATED(sort of) Palm OS smartphone IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    It WAS the company's signature OS. Now, it is not. Palm has no reason to support an OS that can't support itself.
    And many of us have no reason to support Palm if we use WM.
    The form factor is now the only reason to stay with Palm. Apparently from another post, it matters much to GL to have one-handedness. Me, I'm done defending Palm, that's not enough for me to stay with them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And I'm sure the 3rd Party Developers are questioning whether they should move away from POS.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I think you're looking at the final stages of palm os. alp or linux will replace garnet and end the misery for the old operating system. Ultimately there will be two flavors - alp and windows mobile.

It might be interesting to see a treo working on a symbian os, but
    I think that's a distant possibility.

Enjoy palm os while it lasts. Palm didn't hire linux engineers for nothing last year. I have a feeling our old os will be sailing into the sunset soon.

As a side note, there is also speculation that palm may be acquired by motorola in time, to better compete with blackberry
    Windows is the predominant os on motorola smartphones.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    I think you're looking at the final stages of palm os. alp or linux will replace garnet and end the misery for the old operating system. Ultimately there will be two flavors - alp and windows mobile.

It might be interesting to see a treo working on a symbian os, but
    I think that's a distant possibility.

Enjoy palm os while it lasts. Palm didn't hire linux engineers for nothing last year. I have a feeling our old os will be sailing into the sunset soon.

As a side note, there is also speculation that palm may be acquired by motorola in time, to better compete with blackberry
    Windows is the predominant os on motorola smartphones.
    "Whether the glass is half full or half empty depends upon whether you are drinking or pouring." In any case, expectations are now so low that it will be difficult for Palm to disappoint again.
    maybe because people realize that WM is the better OS for them for one reason or another?
    it may be better now, but when it first began, it was pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The form factor is now the only reason to stay with Palm. Apparently from another post, it matters much to GL to have one-handedness. Me, I'm done defending Palm, that's not enough for me to stay with them.
    maybe pal, the hardware company, is waiting for one last OS upgrade to see if there is a future in the POS

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    And many of us have no reason to support Palm if we use WM.
    I think many of us who are diehard treo heads have been blindly faithful while the rest of the world has been moving on. hopefully palm has some new innovative designs left in them or i think even the hardware company will disappear into the sunset. the new 750 basically is a 650 with out an antenna. woopie, my puppy tore off my antenna off of my 650 and made a 750 more than a year ago. maybe palm owes me some money for the design
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    And I'm sure the 3rd Party Developers are questioning whether they should move away from POS.
    Yeah. I look at Chatter and the impending PIM Exchange sync plugin. I kinda wonder whether their market will disappear out from underneath them? This has to be a real concern for Marc and the moxsi.com guy.

I hope they survive. But by the time this plugin is ready I will have purchased the unlocked 750. Or it will be May, 2007 and I'll move over to Cingular because my T-Mo contract has expired.

Just watching the TC boards you can see the exodus of PalmOS users to the WM5 side. Especially once the 700wx came out.

If I were a developer my mind would be made up already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Yeah. I look at Chatter and the impending PIM Exchange sync plugin. I kinda wonder whether their market will disappear out from underneath them? This has to be a real concern for Marc and the moxsi.com guy.

I hope they survive. But by the time this plugin is ready I will have purchased the unlocked 750. Or it will be May, 2007 and I'll move over to Cingular because my T-Mo contract has expired.

Just watching the TC boards you can see the exodus of PalmOS users to the WM5 side. Especially once the 700wx came out.

If I were a developer my mind would be made up already.
    Don't give up on Palm. I can see the second installation...the return of Palm. You seen The Return of the Jedi...you know what happened.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Don't give up on Palm. I can see the second installation...the return of Palm. You seen The Return of the Jedi...you know what happened.
    I remember Return of the Jedi...it was not as good as the Empire Striked back. Plus, remember that the next movie released had Jar Jar in it
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    It's not so much a matter of us giving up on Palm, it's where will WM vs POS be when Palm gets it all figured out? So they come out with a new OS, will the developers jump back on the Palm ride?
    What's the advantage of waiting around for Palm to do something exciting?
    If they do something, great! Maybe some will come back and check it out.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    It's not so much a matter of us giving up on Palm, it's where will WM vs POS be when Palm gets it all figured out? So they come out with a new OS, will the developers jump back on the Palm ride?
    What's the advantage of waiting around for Palm to do something exciting?
    If they do something, great! Maybe some will come back and check it out.
    I agree. I am not "waiting around for Palm" but for Cingular. That means I must live with my 650 for a while longer, not exactly a bad fate. Who knows? While I am waiting on Cingular, Palm may pull a rabbit out oa hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well they still insist on putting out Palm OS devices(700p, 680) and they are the only one who does, so it's still their signature OS, more or less. So they need to forget the Palm OS outright and quit trying to pretend they still care about it's users, because it's obvious they don't. Or try to help update it one way or another, if they're going to keep using it. And NOT those paltry one decimal point updates. Because what they're doing with it is pitiful!! Still selling the same OS from what, 2 years ago, on the 680? And we're how far away from 2007??

So how hard is it to admit they really want to use WM from now on?? Are they afraid of disappointing Palm OS customers? Well they already have just about, too late for that! The 700p is the last UPDATED(sort of) Palm OS smartphone IMO.
    I dot know why you keep pushing th pos as alm's signature os, its really a moot point right now given the circumstances. There still exists a large number of people that are diehard pos users, why not make money of of them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva
    Yes, the form factor is the main reason why I will be getting the treo. I'm not partial to any one company, I'm using an htc 8125 right now, but I find the slide form to be more of a nuiscance than its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    it may be better now, but when it first began, it was pretty bad

That's really a non issue. WM performance 2 yrs ago is irrelevant now that there is wm5

maybe pal, the hardware company, is waiting for one last OS upgrade to see if there is a future in the POS

I think many of us who are diehard treo heads have been blindly faithful while the rest of the world has been moving on. hopefully palm has some new innovative designs left in them or i think even the hardware company will disappear into the sunset. the new 750 basically is a 650 with out an antenna. woopie, my puppy tore off my antenna off of my 650 and made a 750 more than a year ago. maybe palm owes me some money for the design
    Also, besides my point in bold above, in reply to your last point-you mean that the 750, having 3g is the same. Oh and how about the different os? You were probably talking about the 680 huh.
    I dot know why you keep pushing th pos as alm's signature os, its really a moot point right now given the circumstances. There still exists a large number of people that are diehard pos users, why not make money of of them?
    You don't know why I say the Palm OS is Palm's signature OS? Well I can't explain any more than I have because it should be obvious why I think that, looking at their history and line of products.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Now I haven't been a long time follower of the Palm OS, but from what I understand there hasn't been much movement to push out a new version. Meanwhile, Microsoft is working hard for the next release of Windows Mobile which will blend the Smartphone and PPC phone formats into one. From a device point of view you will have a huge number of devices running a unified Win Mo format. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a feeling the future will be once again in the hands of the 800lbs gorilla.

A
    It's definitely a bad sign for the Palm OS. By the time they do get something going again, if ever, no one will even be interested anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I have to agree with Keefer. Everyone I've ever met with a Treo or WM PDA, etc.. have only the very faintest idea how to use them. I know a VP where I work and a software developer. They both have Treo 650s and they both have the default ringtones and volume at max (you can hear it across the entire building). I don't think either of them have ever used their devices for anything other than calls, a few contacts, and maybe the calendar. I know of lots of other people like that.?

see what i mean? so i'm not the only one saying and thinking this...."treos" are a fad and trend for many if not most.
    I definitely needed a smartphone, so it was not a fad or trend for me. I just discovered it wasn't the only good one on the planet. And now I can never go back to a regular phone due to the usefulness of smartphones.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast