Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Palm ruined it when they sold it off. And then practically dumped it for Windows. Effectively dumped by your own company. Enough said. The Palm OS is on it's last legs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Palm ruined it when they sold it off. And then practically dumped it for Windows. Effectively dumped by your own company. Enough said. The Palm OS is on it's last legs.
    palm sold it off so palmsource would be independent in appearance and in fact to motivate other ODMs to use it. They all left anyways. Had palmsource kept up its innovation and matched WM, we would have had 1-2 major updates by now.

And PalmOS is no longer a threat to MS. BB/RIM is the big competitor now, along with symbian.
    You don't have to tell me Palm OS is no longer viable. If there is no major update(6.0) by 2008, I'd say we're done with it for good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    As data networks progress to EVDO and other 3G and 4G streams Palm (and other manufacturers) know that THIS is the best methodology for delivering IP to cell devices, not integrating WiFi. In the future - starting now - we are going to see LESS WiFi integration and not MORE.
    A lot's going to have to change in the UK and Europe before this happens, due to the massive costs of data services by the phone companies, especially when roaming. WiFi just makes more sense, at least for the next year or two.

And this was supposed to be a phone designed with Europe in mind? Just because they cut off the antenna? Come on, when you whip out a fat device like the Treo, nobody even notices the antenna!!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    palm sold it off so palmsource would be independent in appearance and in fact to motivate other ODMs to use it.
    That may have been a sensible thing to do a few years prior but at the time they did it Palm were pretty much the only people using POS. Sony had scaled back on it's PDA production, dropping out of the US and European markets. If they had remained as one company Cobalt may have seen the light of day. Palm have taken Garnet as far as it can go and a complete re-write is the only way forward. Access/Palm Source are working on their successor ALP and it seems likely that Palm themselves are working on a new Linux based OS. The choice is really to switch to WM or Symbian now or wait and see what Access and Palm come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I am not committed to HTC. I am not committed to Palm. I am committed to GSM and POS. I want UMTS/HSDPA. I do not want WM. I want Palm to remain committed to us POS users and at least recognize the GSM market, a market that dwarfs the WM market. Palm's business model is called "eating your children."
    God I hear you there. I feel exactly the same way. If Palm wasn't so stupid and just upgraded to Cobalt, we could all be happy. But they are just so ignorant and stupid, they are determined to fall flat on their face and we all get to come along for the ride. If I buy a non PalmOS device, it won't be from Palm, for sure!
    palm sold it off so palmsource would be independent in appearance and in fact to motivate other ODMs to use it. They all left anyways. Had palmsource kept up its innovation and matched WM, we would have had 1-2 major updates by now.

And PalmOS is no longer a threat to MS. BB/RIM is the big competitor now, along with symbian.
    So much for that strategy.

Palm needs to learn that until you can execute, all these cute maneuvers do not count for much.
    To be fair in these discussions, none of us here know the details of what happened. But in the rumors I've heard, Palmsource (the software guys) not palmOne (the hardware guys) slit their own throats. They came out with a new proprietary multi-tasking system (after huge delays) and wanted HUGE payments from the OEMs for it (huge upfront lump sum payments and high per unit royalty costs). This was a time PDA sales were falling and none of the OEMs would do it. That resulted in lower revenue for Palmsource and faster falling PDA sales (due to no new shiny software) which leads us to today.

So we should be blame where it belongs. And that was the board of directors of Palm (mostly people from the board of 3Com which owned Palm) and the management of Palmsource who messed things up. The current management of Palm had nothing to do with this arrangement. They inherited it. Not to say they haven't done anything wrong, but to be fair on this issue.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scstraus View Post
    If Palm wasn't so stupid and just upgraded to Cobalt, we could all be happy.
    I doubt you'd be happy with a half finished OS, which is what Cobalt is
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    To be fair in these discussions, none of us here know the details of what happened. But in the rumors I've heard, Palmsource (the software guys) not palmOne (the hardware guys) slit their own throats. They came out with a new proprietary multi-tasking system (after huge delays) and wanted HUGE payments from the OEMs for it (huge upfront lump sum payments and high per unit royalty costs). This was a time PDA sales were falling and none of the OEMs would do it. That resulted in lower revenue for Palmsource and faster falling PDA sales (due to no new shiny software) which leads us to today.

So we should be blame where it belongs. And that was the board of directors of Palm (mostly people from the board of 3Com which owned Palm) and the management of Palmsource who messed things up. The current management of Palm had nothing to do with this arrangement. They inherited it. Not to say they haven't done anything wrong, but to be fair on this issue.
    As bad as I think Palm's business decisions have been, I do not fault them nearly so much for them as I do for their execution, not even so much for their execution as for their lack of candor.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    That may have been a sensible thing to do a few years prior but at the time they did it Palm were pretty much the only people using POS. Sony had scaled back on it's PDA production, dropping out of the US and European markets. If they had remained as one company Cobalt may have seen the light of day. Palm have taken Garnet as far as it can go and a complete re-write is the only way forward. Access/Palm Source are working on their successor ALP and it seems likely that Palm themselves are working on a new Linux based OS. The choice is really to switch to WM or Symbian now or wait and see what Access and Palm come up with.
    at the same time, Palm itself made the decision to be able to go with different OSes in the future. Weren't Palm and MS working together for 1-2 yrs prior to the announcement of the Treo 700w? Colligan recognized that putting all of Palm's eggs in one basket (palm os) was a bad idea - just like any good portfolio, companies must diversify its offerings.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    So much for that strategy.

Palm needs to learn that until you can execute, all these cute maneuvers do not count for much.
    As far as I'm concerned, Palm is headed in the EXACT position that I want them to. The design and features are exactly what I want in a smartphone. And i know that I am not the only one that feels this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    I doubt you'd be happy with a half finished OS, which is what Cobalt is
    i agree, and palmsource presented this os to a variety of companies, and they all rejected it.
    I have to agree compared to the competition. I really wish their software wasn't depending on WM5 for the new high speed data options, but it doesn't seem like they have much choice right now. I just wish they would do more customization to WM5 to get it better on one-handed ease of use and fix the typical MS UI stupidness.

As far as I'm concerned, Palm is headed in the EXACT position that I want them to. The design and features are exactly what I want in a smartphone. And i know that I am not the only one that feels this way.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I have to agree compared to the competition. I really wish their software wasn't depending on WM5 for the new high speed data options, but it doesn't seem like they have much choice right now. I just wish they would do more customization to WM5 to get it better on one-handed ease of use and fix the typical MS UI stupidness.
    there really is so much that palm can do. Hopefully, WM6 will offer true one-handed operation.

Thanks for the info.

at the same time, Palm itself made the decision to be able to go with different OSes in the future. Weren't Palm and MS working together for 1-2 yrs prior to the announcement of the Treo 700w? Colligan recognized that putting all of Palm's eggs in one basket (palm os) was a bad idea - just like any good portfolio, companies must diversify its offerings.
    How come other companies do just fine with only one OS and don't feel the need to diversify? I think this was just a way to start the beginning of the end of Palm OS, not necessarily diversification. They are slowly weening many of their customers off the Palm OS. That new paltry offering, the 680, is the same old tired OS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How come other companies do just fine with only one OS and don't feel the need to diversify? I think this was just a way to start the beginning of the end of Palm OS, not necessarily diversification. They are slowly weening many of their customers off the Palm OS. That new paltry offering, the 680, is the same old tired OS.
    I know that you believe that when Palm divested itself of palmsource that it effectively killed the Palm OS but let's ignore those assumptions for now.

The PalmOS is old and tired as you say. I wholly agree. Had the palmos progressed like WM, then it is possible that Palm would have stayed with POS for the forseeable future. The software has to work in order for the package to be worthwhile. the palmos was no longer cutting it, so palm went for WM5 that was offering large growth in the market and was the superior OS in many ways. Also, the OS has seen frequent updates. Why stay with a stagnating OS?
    They could have progressed the Palm OS if they really wanted to. Maybe they need to build a whole new OS and can't because they don't have the money, time or resources. Or maybe they just don't feel like putting in time, money and resources.

I just wish they would have been more honest with consumers and said they will no longer be developing the Palm OS. I just had a bad feeling the day they went Windows that this was going to happen.

Diva;
    You do understand that much of the development that has happened with the PalmOS in the 5.4 versions has come from Palm and not PalmSource. The telephony stack (what lets ya make calls), the CDMA and GSM stack, the EVDO (and hopefully UMTS) are all Palm, not PalmSource derived. PalmSource spent most/all of its resources towards Cobalt and it tanked badily. In many respects, Palm pitching to MS in knowing that CObalt was tanked was smart on their part (even though it does speak to everyone that the PalmOS is finito).

Please dont think that Palm is done developing on the PalmOS. Just the fact that they released the 700p means that there would be at least another year of development (ROM updates) to support it. I would guess that the 680 would be running the sme OS minus the EVDO stuff, and then receive similar treatment. No, these wont be the very well selling 650s and get 18 months of support, but Palm will/should at least be supporting till fall of 2007.

There will be no major update to the PalmOS as we know it. Its basically dead (Access who own it has all but said so, hence only the support for PACE and not the GarnetOS). The next PalmOS, if you want to call it that, would be named MAX and has its underpinnings in Linux and will have the ability to do all that Garnet can do and a whole lot more. Its a smarter move yes, but it might be about 6 months too late even when the devices come out (it would have to hit with price, performance, and design to be a big seller).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast