Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    If u want a good laugh list to one of their podcast. They guy is funny. I have a hp hw6915 and I never use the wifi. I wish it didn't even have the feature. It totally kills the battery.

As for palm, not being forth right, what else is new? They are out to make money and I am out to get their device for as cheap as possible
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    They've used the same connector on all models since the 650, hardly ever changing.
    You mark your self as a newbie. Palm to Vx to 180 to 270/300 to 600 to 650, new connectors (and unnecessarily higher system cost) on each one, most of them now orphaned.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    ............As for palm, not being forth right, what else is new? They are out to make money and I am out to get their device for as cheap as possible
    Lots of people make money without resorting to lying.
    Very true. But, Palm is not one of those companies
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I have a hp hw6915 and I never use the wifi. I wish it didn't even have the feature. It totally kills the battery.
    If you dont use it, you've switched it of, I hope???? I assume you are familiar with this screen on your HP.

The Nintendo DS has WIFI. The PSP has WIFI. The Sony Mylo has WIFI. The PPC 6700 has WIFI. The HTC Wizard has WIFI. All the Dells and Mac Books and Sony's laptops have WIFI. The T-Mobile Dash will have WIFI. ALL the Zunes will have WIFI.

The way to deal with stupid users is intelligent defaults, like WIFI timing out if not used for x minutes.

Palm's excuses are why they were late to getting color screens, fast processors, WIFI in their PDA's, and why their market share slipped away.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/23/2006 at 04:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    You mark your self as a newbie. Palm to Vx to 180 to 270/300 to 600 to 650, new connectors (and unnecessarily higher system cost) on each one, most of them now orphaned.
    Intel over that period of time have changed the socket designs for their processors. TV have gone from using RF cables to S-Video, SCART and now HDMI. The way we connect to devices change, it's a fact of life. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Palm$ $have$ $changed$ $the$ $connector$ $once$ $in$ $the$ $last$ $4$ $years$, $I$ $personally$ $wouldn$'$t$ $call$ $that$ $constant$ $change$.

BTW The connectors on my Treo 180 and Treo 270 look exactly the same
    One of the things that I like about HTC is its commitment to open standards. For example, it uses (mini) USB in preference to the ever-changing proprietary connectors used by Palm. Not only is Palm not compatible with the rest of the industry, it is not compatible product to product.
    All Treos designed by Palm (not Handspring) have used the same connector. It's great that you can use a standard miniUSB cable to charge and sync HTC devices, not so great that they now make use the same port for the headphones (they've abandoned standard jacks).
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    All Treos designed by Palm (not Handspring) have used the same connector. It's great that you can use a standard miniUSB cable to charge and sync HTC devices, not so great that they now make use the same port for the headphones (they've abandoned standard jacks).
    Sorry but I am not a "Treo" customer. I am a POS customer. In any case, Palm is the successor to Handspring; they bought the company and inherited the responsibility.
    Sorry but I am not a "Treo" customer. I am a POS customer. In any case, Palm is the successor to Handspring; they bought the company and inherited the responsibility.
    I wasn't trying to make any assertions about what sort of customer you are, I was just pointing out that there has been some degree of consistency over the last two years. The Treo 650, 700w, 700p, 700wx and 750v have all used the same connector. I don't think it's really very reasonable to describe this as "ever-changing".
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I wasn't trying to make any assertions about what sort of customer you are, I was just pointing out that there has been some degree of consistency over the last two years. The Treo 650, 700w, 700p, 700wx and 750v have all used the same connector. I don't think it's really very reasonable to describe this as "ever-changing".
    And, of course, my point is that for many of us here, two years is a very short time. The things of which we complain are part of a well established and decade long pattern of behavior by Palm. Two years in which they refrain from one form of abuse, but in which they engage in novel abuse, does not reassure us.
    And, of course, my point is that for many of us here, two years is a very short time. The things of which we complain are part of a well established and decade long pattern of behavior by Palm. Two years in which they refrain from one form of abuse, but in which they engage in novel abuse, does not reassure us.
    considering that HTC is moving toward the more proprietary flat mini-usb, i guess that doesn't really offer much assurance either for you. Or the fact that HTC has gone from SD to miniSD to microSD. Technology changes. And these companies are out to make a profit. If anyone doesn't like Palm's business model for reasons such as ambiguity or its decisions on what to include, then they can move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    No, in fact casual users DON'T know that WiFi drains their battery, and they will flood Palm with support calls and product returns when they are STUNNED that their Treo's only last ten to twenty minutes while using WiFi...

As data networks progress to EVDO and other 3G and 4G streams Palm (and other manufacturers) know that THIS is the best methodology for delivering IP to cell devices, not integrating WiFi. In the future - starting now - we are going to see LESS WiFi integration and not MORE.
    There's still wifi on phones coming out. Proprietary data prices are still too high in many parts of the world.

I still like wifi on my laptop also. I don't want to start having to use a data card.

I also find it hard to believe that 3 and 4G don't eat up some battery life also. I never turn any data feature on unless I need it!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/23/2006 at 08:17 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    considering that HTC is moving toward the more proprietary flat mini-usb, i guess that doesn't really offer much assurance either for you. Or the fact that HTC has gone from SD to miniSD to microSD. Technology changes. And these companies are out to make a profit. If anyone doesn't like Palm's business model for reasons such as ambiguity or its decisions on what to include, then they can move on.
    I am not committed to HTC. I am not committed to Palm. I am committed to GSM and POS. I want UMTS/HSDPA. I do not want WM. I want Palm to remain committed to us POS users and at least recognize the GSM market, a market that dwarfs the WM market. Palm's business model is called "eating your children."
    I am not committed to HTC. I am not committed to Palm. I am committed to GSM and POS. I want UMTS/HSDPA. I do not want WM. I want Palm to remain committed to us POS users and at least recognize the GSM market, a market that dwarfs the WM market. Palm's business model is called "eating your children."
    The gsm market and the wm market aren't mutually exclusive. That is, a GSM phone can have WM on it.

And if you were referring to the POS market, it no longer "dwarfs" anything.
    Palm has now failed and almost is close to dumping the Palm OS, plain and simple. Too bad, but when Palm went Windows, deep down we knew this was coming.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    many people have moved on because of palm moving into new technolgies at the speed of a rock. what is sad that the loyal palm users get a new product once every two years that is a product with features that are already one year old.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    many people have moved on because of palm moving into new technolgies at the speed of a rock. what is sad that the loyal palm users get a new product once every two years that is a product with features that are already one year old.
    aren't these loyal palmos users upset that the OS hasn't had a big update in several years?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Palm has now failed and almost is close to dumping the Palm OS, plain and simple. Too bad, but when Palm went Windows, deep down we knew this was coming.
    how exactly has it failed? The company is still in business and its financials are steadily getting stronger. Overall, I'd say that the company is doing fine....
    I meant Palm failed the Palm OS, because Palm doesn't seem to be interested in real updates..

I also don't think Palm the company is doing as well as they want us to think, considering those last reports.

Let's hope they can gain some back with the 700wx and 750.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I meant Palm failed the Palm OS, because Palm doesn't seem to be interested in real updates..

I also don't think Palm the company is doing as well as they want us to think, considering those last reports.

Let's hope they can gain some back with the 700wx and 750.
    a lot of it can be attributed to delayed product releases. With all of these rumors circulating about new phones, it gets the investors happy, and users will often wait before buying anything.

I think that the POS has failed palm - which is why Palm decided to go with WM. Think about the number of PalmOS devices on the market that aren't made by palm now compared to a few years ago. Once the palmos stagnated, it lost its hardware partners.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast