1.    #1  
    I can't seem to find a free to do list app like "tasks" that comes with Palm OS. I want a free to do list that lets you have different categories. Maybe I am missing something but in tasks on the 700wx, but I don't see how you can create categories like you can do on Palm OS. I wanted to ask the experts. I'm sure PI or Agendus Fusion might give you this, but the default tasks apps should be able to do this. I hope I am missing something. Thanks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I use TreeToDoList, still not More 3.0 (anyone?) but totally does the job!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I can't seem to find a free to do list app like "tasks" that comes with Palm OS. I want a free to do list that lets you have different categories. Maybe I am missing something but in tasks on the 700wx, but I don't see how you can create categories like you can do on Palm OS. I wanted to ask the experts. I'm sure PI or Agendus Fusion might give you this, but the default tasks apps should be able to do this. I hope I am missing something. Thanks in advance.
    Dude...create a new task and assign it a category. If you need a new category then after you've tapped category instead of checking a box there should be a 'New' button in the lower left corner...add your new category and then check it off in the list. Not too different from POS.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Where do you find tree to do list 3.0? All I can find is version.1. Thanks so much in advance!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21 View Post
    Dude...create a new task and assign it a category. If you need a new category then after you've tapped category instead of checking a box there should be a 'New' button in the lower left corner...add your new category and then check it off in the list. Not too different from POS.
    Thanks for the tip. It kinda works like Palm OS, I guess you view your task categories by going to filter, similar to the drop down menu of Palm OS. Thanks for the tips.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have been searching for the same thing and have tried several different solutions. Firstly, the tasks app that is built in is very poorly executed in my opinion. Something like a todo list should not require tons of screens and options. I always like the edit-in-place on the Palm for this.

I'm currently demoing the following two apps:

TreNotes - this one has a tool bar for editing in place. It has options for Wm5menus, and has many features that are beyond the Palm todo list, like trees, progress bar instead of checkbox on items, alarms, etc. But there are several downsides so far as well:

- Each list is stored as a file and I believe the file is only saved when you OK out of the list. I have not verified, but unless there is an autosave, you may lose items if you have a reset while the changes made. Still checking on this.

- There is no menu button or shortcut I'm aware of to add a new item using the edit-in-place toolbar. You have to tap this small icon on the screen.

- The drag and drop reordering (an awesome feature in theory!) is a little awkward for me at this point. Not working the way I'd expect it.

With this app, I'm finding I don't really need the built in priorities, just use top level items to group things as priority so I don't have to edit the record as much.

The other I'm just trying now is Pocket Informant- their tasks support looks a bit like the Palm screen. Seems to have a bunch of options and the app is a bit overwhelming due to it's breadth. But I will try it and see if it's worth the learning curve.

Anyone have anything else they like? As a developer, I've long mulled creating a no frills todo list that matched the basic and intuitive functionality of the Palm todo list. But I wonder how many people even would use it!
    Dave Haupert
    dhaupert@ddhsoftware.com
  7.    #7  
    Dhaupert I know exactly what you mean. I'm also trying those apps and the built in tasks on the 700wx. Why can't we have a decent, simple to do list?? Out of desperation I even tried copying over "Tasks" form my 700p to my 700wx using StyleTap and importing it with Filez. Tasks won't work at all under StyleTap, I might have to just find a 3rd party Palm OS app and use it in StyleTap.

I would definitley use a simple, matched to do list of the Palm OS. I wish someone would create one just like the one on Palm OS. I use my Tasks on my 700p a lot, Tasks on the 700wx leaves much to be desired.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdillon View Post
    Where do you find tree to do list 3.0? All I can find is version.1. Thanks so much in advance!
    my reference was to the best todo app ever (not developed anymore since OS 8 on the mac. It was created by Dave Winer and I still compare every todo app to it. It wasn't actually a "todo" app but an outliner. Anyway the point is there is a huge market opportunity here for someone!

Andy
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Thanks for the tip. It kinda works like Palm OS, I guess you view your task categories by going to filter, similar to the drop down menu of Palm OS. Thanks for the tips.
    No problem. Glad to help. I remember my days of trying to get used to WM over POS. In the long run...I'm liking the power and capabilities of WM; at first I missed the ease of POS.

One caveat to remember with adding the category...it will show up and be filterable on the desktop (Outlook) as well...but it does not add the category to the master category list in Outlook...you would still have to add it there...but sometimes you don't really want to so this argument really is a wash...but something to note.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  10.    #10  
    I'm surprised at the lack of software for "to-do list" for Windows Mobile. This is a huge market if someone comes up with one similar to the "basic" Tasks app on the Palm OS.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I my self use the built in to-do on the wx and have regular to-do's set up in 3 different categories. Its not to bad when I open it I hit menu, filter, then tap the right category. Its about the same as palm.

But for the bulk of my to-do's and lists I use ListPro http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/listpro.htm
    2nd on ListPro. I have been using this for ever on my ipaq.. wonderful program with tons of features. They have a full free preview.. check it out.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr View Post
    I my self use the built in to-do on the wx and have regular to-do's set up in 3 different categories. Its not to bad when I open it I hit menu, filter, then tap the right category. Its about the same as palm.

But for the bulk of my to-do's and lists I use ListPro http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/listpro.htm
    BINGO! This is great!
    Dunno if it's avail. for the WX, but Bonsai, ROCKS. Excellent program. I use it for all sorts of things, since you can nest lists and such. Think of it as an outliner. You can set start-dates, due dates, check off items when complete, link back and forth between Agendus. Phenomenal. And I think it was like $15 when I got it. Easily one of the most-used apps on my device.
    I'm also a ListPro user. Great app!
    ListPro also (bought it to use for To-Do lists). And I've found several other uses for it too, nice app.