Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Can somebody please explain how RSS readers benefit them. I love the idea of having my news stories at hand but the readers I have make me go to the articles web site anyway not saving me any time. Maybe I'm missing something but I want a program that pulls the full article when I ask it to instead of sending me to the site that my 700w has trouble ulling up because of memory. I'm using pocket rss right now. please let me know if there is in fact something I'm overlooking. thanks.
    RSS is a great combination with NewsBreak

BENEFIT: What I love about newsbreak is that it has a one liner today plugin (does not take up space, this is always on a treo owners mind) that will let me know when I have new rss's. I have it set to check every 30 minutes. If a website such as treocentral, flickr, even forum posts... etc has updated their site (it must support rss of course), I'll know every 30 minutes and I will be alerted.

So ya, you get at the very least, the headline and some of the article, but you can read the entire article via PIE if you are really interested in the article. It would be nice to have the entire article in view, but I'm still happy knowing I can read the headlines.

One tip for ya: I use firefox all the time on my PC and you will see a RSS icon to the right of the URL (orange with waves) if what you view supports rss. If you see this, copy that link for some nice rss feeds. I have mine set to view the Treo wx section of this forum so when a new post shows up, I'll know every 30 minutes.

the rss feed is: http://discussion.treocentral.com/ex...S2&forumids=76

-Oly

Newsbreak has a 30 day trial...
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    I love NewsBreak. One of my top 5 apps.

Every site has different RSS feeds. Some like Pocketpcthoughts.com, recently added the full article to the feed w/ a tiny ad at the bottom.

Other sites only put part of the story on--so you have to go to their site (see their ads) so they make money.

Most of my sites are the latter as I quickly drop the "teaser" RSS feeds ().

I love it just because you can "sync" up all your favorite sites either manually or on a schedule and the formatting tends to be much better/consistent with an RSS program versus some site, which may or may not be "mobile friendly".

Plus it's just easier to browse by headlines instead of scrolling a whole site.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I LOVE newscopier, someone recommended it here.

http://www.maximumsoft.com/products/.../overview.html

I tried Quicknews on my Treo and I never really used it, I use newscopier so much, best of all it's free.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee21 View Post
    Can somebody please explain how RSS readers benefit them. I love the idea of having my news stories at hand but the readers I have make me go to the articles web site anyway not saving me any time..
    The way that RSS works is that a news source provides a specific set of data to your reader. In some cases, they provide the entire news story. In MANY cases though, they only provide you with a teaser. Why? Ad revenue. if you visit their site to read the rest they earn ad revenue from the ads on their site.

Sometimes you'll find a reader that will actually go out to the websites and grab the entire pages at the other end of the link. This tends to eat up lots of memory (especially if you have a LOT of feeds you follow). We don't do this for that very reason.

So Why? Simple...instant norification of every new article or topic all in one place. Why visit 20 different web sites reading their news items when you can scan the list in NewsBreak and see if there is anything you are interested in? Why drop by every web site to see if they've posted something when NewsBreak will give you an alert saying "Hey...new article over at TreoCentral!"

So that's the reason both for the short descriptions in the reader and the value of a newsreader.

Hope it helps!

Marc Tassin
    Ilium Software
    --------------------
    marc@iliumsoft.com
    +1 (734) 973-9388
    ---------------------
    http://www.iliumsoft.com

And be sure check out our new blog! http://blog.iliumsoft.com/

PS! THANKS TO ALL THE NEWSBREAK FOLKS OUT THERE FOR THE KIND WORDS!!!! WE APPRECIATE IT!
    Marc/Ilium,

Quick request for NewsBreak:

Could you guys add "smooth scrolling" or line by line in the next release? Specifically for pictures, sometimes it very difficult to center the picture or if it's too big for the screen, to scroll smoothly without using a stylus.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Marc/Ilium,

Quick request for NewsBreak:

Could you guys add "smooth scrolling" or line by line in the next release? Specifically for pictures, sometimes it very difficult to center the picture or if it's too big for the screen, to scroll smoothly without using a stylus.

thanks!
    I second that request. Newsbreak is the best app I use.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I have been using Egress, and like it quite a bit.
    I briefly strayed from NewsBreak, with another reader app stating they used Skweezer to front end their links that went off to external websites. I liked that (and only that) but not enough to leave NewsBreak forever. so Marc - I'd suggest using Skweezer if at all feasible. That would make those external websites a little more palatable on the device.

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser View Post
    I briefly strayed from NewsBreak, with another reader app stating they used Skweezer to front end their links that went off to external websites. I liked that (and only that) but not enough to leave NewsBreak forever. so Marc - I'd suggest using Skweezer if at all feasible. That would make those external websites a little more palatable on the device.

thanks!
    Great idea! I second that one (hope he's listening... )

I tried NewsBreak and missed the good old days of QuickNews. Then I found Egress and all was well.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    While we are in the topic. I need an RSS app (don't care if for PalmOS or Windows) that will give me instant update notifications of an RSS feed update.
    Anybody?

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    While we are in the topic. I need an RSS app (don't care if for PalmOS or Windows) that will give me instant update notifications of an RSS feed update.
    Anybody?

Thanks,

Al
    For WM5, Newsbreak is my favorite. However, there is another one that is very similiar thats free. It's mentioned above.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Another vote for Egress.
    What about the best live rss feed updater for PC?

Al
    a few options for the PC are sharpreader, or just my.yahoo.com. Are you looking for a standalone app that compiles RSS feeds?
    Brian McGuire
    Currently I have a FireFox RSS feed extension that refreshes a feed every 10 minutes but I wanted one that updates whenever the feed gets updated. I don't mind if it is a stand alone app.

Al
    So I downloaded Newsbreak but I am still confused on how to find RSS feeds. Is there a particular section of most websites that have them?
    Just look for the button/text that says RSS or XML. You copy and paste that link into whatever RSS program you use. For example, CNN: http://www.cnn.com/services/rss/.

I use Newscopier and love it.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Great idea! I second that one (hope he's listening... )
    pRSS Reader apparently uses some sort of integrated Skweezer HTML optimization.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast