Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm a huge RSS junkie. Egress gets my vote for its excellent reliability, one-handed operation, and clever image-viewing feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Currently I have a FireFox RSS feed extension that refreshes a feed every 10 minutes but I wanted one that updates whenever the feed gets updated. I don't mind if it is a stand alone app.

Al
    RSS is pull, not push. Your reader must check every X minutes to get the latest update.

I second SharpReader as well.
    I recommend bloglines it is web based and available at whatever computer you login at and does not take up any space on your mobile device. When you login from a mobile device it is optimized for your browser.
  4. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I LOVE newscopier, someone recommended it here.

http://www.maximumsoft.com/products/.../overview.html

I tried Quicknews on my Treo and I never really used it, I use newscopier so much, best of all it's free.
    Did they just start charging for this app?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    I'm a huge RSS junkie. Egress gets my vote for its excellent reliability, one-handed operation, and clever image-viewing feature.
    Egress has huge issues (at least with the cab I downloaded off their website):

1. After installing the app for the first time, then configuring it, the options menu disappears and so you can't change global settings anymore. wtf?

2. The Today plug-in takes up an inordinate amount of space even when you choose for it to just display the number of items unread.

3. The program does not open up PIE at all, and therefore, things like Skweezer optimization does not work. You just get a blank screen.

Needless to say, it lived on my WX for about 15 minutes.
    gojeda: as always, YMMV

1- The settings menu is definitely there. You have to make sure you are at the home screen, where you can see the channels listing. "Options" takes you to what you refer to as global settings.

2- That would be an issue. I wouldn't know because I don't use the today plug in at all, but yeah, that sounds like an issue.

3- It will absolutely open links in PIE (or any browser, including an internal one) and use Skweezer (as well as Google Mobile). Maybe you didn't notice because you couldn't find the global options

Out of curiosity, what RSS reader did you settle on?
    I have to agree that not getting the entire story and the link simply going to the full html page as opposed to a mobi version is pretty useless.

AvantGo has gone downhill but is still the best in this regard.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    gojeda: as always, YMMV

1- The settings menu is definitely there. You have to make sure you are at the home screen, where you can see the channels listing. "Options" takes you to what you refer to as global settings.
    Indeed.....and like I said, after using the "Options" when I first install the app, it disappears from the menu. There is no way for

2- That would be an issue. I wouldn't know because I don't use the today plug in at all, but yeah, that sounds like an issue.
    Yea, it is weird because the Today plugin has the option to scroll headlines that come over your RSS. This normall takes up about 3 lines - which is fine if you want to scroll those headlines. But when you choose the option so that it just displays the number of items unread, which only takes up one line on your screen, the app doesn't give you back that valuable screen real estate that is so important on the Today screen.

3- It will absolutely open links in PIE (or any browser, including an internal one) and use Skweezer (as well as Google Mobile). Maybe you didn't notice because you couldn't find the global options
    Didn't for me. Just a blank screen with a couple of menus (zoom -+) etc/

Out of curiosity, what RSS reader did you settle on?[/QUOTE]

pRSS, although I am still looking..

Perhaps I will just wipe my WX and start from scratch this weekend.
    Oy, none of these seem to be as comprehensive as QuickNews was on POS

The main things I've been looking for that I can't find together in a single app (some have some, but not all):

-- Images download when the feed is updated not when you're viewing the article (SPB Insight does this but has a number of other issues)

-- Ability to stream podcasts. Newsbreak can download but not stream, haven't seen any that support streaming (possibly because WMP doesn't support it, but TCPMP and other players do)

-- Ability to set auto update schedule to update once a day, at a specific time, like 6AM... most give you the once a day option, but don't allow you specify at what time each day it should occur.

-- Store channel data and podcasts/images etc on the storage card (Newscopier doesn't seem to allow this but the others do)

-- URL links go through Sqweezer or similar... (guess pRSS does and maybe eGress), but I tried eGress a while back (I'm guessing it's been updated recently?) and the one-handed capabilities were sorely lacking.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post

The main things I've been looking for that I can't find together in a single app (some have some, but not all):

-- Images download when the feed is updated not when you're viewing the article (SPB Insight does this but has a number of other issues)

-- Ability to stream podcasts. Newsbreak can download but not stream, haven't seen any that support streaming (possibly because WMP doesn't support it, but TCPMP and other players do)

-- Ability to set auto update schedule to update once a day, at a specific time, like 6AM... most give you the once a day option, but don't allow you specify at what time each day it should occur.

-- Store channel data and podcasts/images etc on the storage card (Newscopier doesn't seem to allow this but the others do)

-- URL links go through Sqweezer or similar... (guess pRSS does and maybe eGress), but I tried eGress a while back (I'm guessing it's been updated recently?) and the one-handed capabilities were sorely lacking.
    Hey Scotty...

Some good points.

The image download upon reading, I actually like as it saves bandwidth, plus on Ev it literally takes seconds for me to download, but I see your point--it would be a nice option to choose either way.

Streaming is difficult b/c of WMP and various codecs and we all know CORE has sort of not lived up to its hype (or for me at least).

Update at a specific time would be a nice feature. Tell you what though: make friends with the MortScript gods here at TC (see the forum) and I bet someone could write a simple script: time (a) --> launch app --> update soft key --> close/minimize app. It'll be a nice work-around till something better happens.

For the Skweezer thing: John Cody's Skweezeit <-- amazing freeware

You should also drop an email to your favorite developer for RSS and request those features. I did that with the "Skweezeit" program letting Ilium (Newsbreak) know about it. They thought it was a great idea and are looking into it...

Finally: For those who don't know much about RSS, I should have a brief Intro/Tutorial on it posted at wmexperts in the next couple of days. It'll server as a great primer for those here who want to know about what we're all talking about here

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Hey Scotty...

Some good points.

The image download upon reading, I actually like as it saves bandwidth, plus on Ev it literally takes seconds for me to download, but I see your point--it would be a nice option to choose either way.
    This is mainly for offline reading, like on an airplane. If the images don't download when you get the feed, you're outta luck.

Streaming is difficult b/c of WMP and various codecs and we all know CORE has sort of not lived up to its hype (or for me at least).
    It shouldn't be, since TCPMP is free and works fine for mp3/m4v streaming which are the formats audio/video podcasts use.

Update at a specific time would be a nice feature. Tell you what though: make friends with the MortScript gods here at TC (see the forum) and I bet someone could write a simple script: time (a) --> launch app --> update soft key --> close/minimize app. It'll be a nice work-around till something better happens.
    What am I, chopped liver?

I wrote Pocket PodCenter to make up for the fact that the RSS readers couldn't do streaming, perhaps I'll look into fixing that other thing too

For the Skweezer thing: John Cody's Skweezeit <-- amazing freeware
    Cool, will check it out

You should also drop an email to your favorite developer for RSS and request those features. I did that with the "Skweezeit" program letting Ilium (Newsbreak) know about it. They thought it was a great idea and are looking into it...
    http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=11

Ahh..it's all coming back to me now After I posted I was like...wait...he does MS already, lol.

Actually, try sending Ilium an email too with that stuff, that's how I did it the last time.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I fail to see the benefit here. Are you saying that images be updated when you are in-between viewings? I don't see the benefit here and, in fact, I can see where this could drive up the costs for those who do not have unlimited data.

I suppose this could be desireable. I don't see how though.

Ill second AND third that. LOL!

I really don't want to sit there and wait for an episode of Twit or DLTV to download. I want it to stream and start immediately.
    I'm subscribed to a couple of these feeds because they contain the full articles, with pictures:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/bbcnewsfrontpagefullfeed
    BBC News Font Page News

http://feeds.feedburner.com/bbcnewshealthfullfeed
    BBC News Health News

http://feeds.feedburner.com/bbcnewstechnologyfullfeed
    BBC News Technology News

http://feeds.feedburner.com/bbcnewsworldfullfeed
    BBC News World News

Anyway, I agree about each RSS reader being a compromise, but I find Egress to be my favorite. I like how it displays pictures... though I don't have much to compare it to except Newsbreak, which I thoroughly disliked.

As for timed updates, Scotty, I checked the Notification Queue and it seems you can trigger an update by merely running \Windows\Egressupdate.exe, so do your schedule for 'once a day' then use a scheduling program to have it execute at 6AM.

As for streaming, I have this handy script (part of another program) that I use that will Stream an MP3 whose URL is in the clipboard:

Code:
    SelectedTitle = "Clip Streamer"
    SelectedURL = ClipText()

Set oString, ""
    Set outFile, SystemPath( "ScriptPath" ) & "\Stream.pls"
    oString = "[playlist]^LF^numberofentries=1^LF^File1=" & SelectedURL & "^LF^"
    oString = oString & "Title1=" & SelectedTitle & "^LF^"
    oString = oString & "Length1=-1^LF^"

WriteFile( %outFile%,%oString%,0)
    Run %outFile%
    It works by writing a PLS file then 'running' it which opens TCPMP or whatever is currently associated to PLS files, and it streams (GSPlayer is good for streaming MP3s also). You could, with Egress: click your Mp3, it launches PIE, stop the download, copy the URL, run the Script. LOL that's quite the runaround!
    Last edited by g-funkster; 09/19/2007 at 08:54 PM.
    no need for all that for streaming since my pocket podcenter app does what I need

I was a QN user on the Palm. I consider Egress to be far superior to QN, for a few reasons:

1- It will do everything you mentioned here except for the streaming part. It will download images at update time, it will store everything in the storage card if you want (including podcasts), work with PIE and Skweezer, etc.

2- The way Egress works with images is far superior to the way QN did. They are saved to the Storage card under a sensical file structure and in their native formats (i.e. jpg, gif, etc.). More importantly, Egress resizes the images to fit the width of the reader, so you can always see the full image as you read the article. Beyond that, you can click on the image to open it in it's own full size viewer so you can see the image in the original detail. QN didn't do any resizing and instead just displays the image at the original pixel size, so a lot of the time you could only see a part of an image, and you'd have to tap it for it to display in its own viewer, which had a tendency to corrupt the image.

3- Egress is so much faster in operation than QN it's not even funny. I have 22 full feeds on Egress, and I ised to have 16 on QN. Egress loads, displays and switches between channels very quickly, whereas QN would lag at every step of the way, from displaying the feeds menu, to loading and displaying each article. Hell, even just scrolling felt like molasses.

4- Egress supports OPML and is great at autodetecting RSS feeds from URLs. Last time I checked, QN does neither.

5- Multitasking: not an Egress advantage per se, but a WM one, and it makes a gigantic difference in the way you use the software. With QN I would only update overnight because of the way it would lock up the phone while it did it. In WM, I can update whenever I want to and keep using my phone for other things without even noticing it.

6- Egress *never* crashes, ever. QN as you know was pretty unstable especially int he final stage of the feed update process.

And finally, it is every bit as one-handed as QN.

Heh, I sound like I'm selling it, don't I. I'm just extremely satisfied to have Egress in my toolset.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    OK, so I am back to using Egress One issue was user error (that would be me), but the other issue was not.

1. I had mentioned that the Options menu kept disappearing on me. Well, as I thin NSI said, you have to make sure you are at the "home" feed screen. The easy way here is to tap the little house icon in the upper right hand corner. Once you tap that, you are the right screen in order for the Options screen to come up.

2. The second issue highlights a problem with the program that needs to be corrected.

In order to read the full Skweezer'd article after tapping the feed item in Egress, you have to change the default settings:

Options > Web tab > uncheck "use internal browser", set HTML optimizer to "Skweezer", user agent has no effect and can be kept Egress.

Once you do this, the Skweezer function works properly. Otherwise you will get a blank screen as I described in an earlier post.

But, alas, everything is working fine now. I now agree that Egress is the best RSS reader I've used to date on the PPC platform.
    Looks like I'll have to try it out again...

EDIT

Ok, trying out Egress now and it does look to be the best so far in terms of functionality, much improved over the last time I tried it. One handed navigation still needs work though. The Tools menu (right soft menu) only allows you to go up and down but left and right doesn't work (it moves whatever's behind the menu) which is annoying. Some of the options screens are a little cumbersome because of it's not optimized for the square screen but that's minor. I've found myself pulling out the stylus quite a bit so far to poke around but hopefully that should improve...

I do like that you can simply click on an expanded article to open the full link in PIE without having to navigate to a link to open it...that wasn't obvious to me at first but nice now that I know about it. The Skweezer integration is nice.

Thanks, this might be a keeper!
    Last edited by scottymomo; 09/20/2007 at 11:25 AM.

lol, after all the "Egress" talk I gave it a spin too (last time I tried it was the pre-WM5 updated version).

It certainly has many more features than Newsbreak, like way more.

Is that a good thing? For some around here (scotty, etc.) definitely, though I found it a bit overwhelming from Newsbreak and I didn't care for the navigation too much, though that is probably due to my "training" on the other app.

I did have some issues with proper parsing of the feed though, here are some comparison shots. NB also makes better use of the screen real estate in the story than Egress. I also don't care for the background = selection coloring.

In the end, I'm sticking with NB but Egress is certainly a good option for the power user.

Yeah, I've noticed those feed parsing glitches every now and then, they haven't bothered me too much though.

BTW, the selection thing annoyed me a lot until I realized you can simply customize the colors. What I did was invert them: selected is white, and unselected is a light gray. It works and looks great that way
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast