Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Still have to disagree with you here.

The main point of wind chill is the notion that wind causes forced convection, resulting in a faster rate of heat transfer.

Wearing a nylon sheet in cold, windy condition will not negate the wind chill b/c any heat your body generates would be lost more quickly than if there were no wind. Heck, even wearing jackets and winter clothes does not prevent this 100% (though it does a better job than a nylon sheet).

Likewise, objects like your car, house or buildings will also "cool faster" (read: loose heat faster) due to the same process.

I also do not cover all my parts when going outside or if I were to exercise (running, skiing, ice-skating, walking in the city all day,etc.) hence it's importance.
    That's not correct. The wind has to make contact with the skin for convective heat loss in this situation. I did this professionally for a few years and I deal with people suffering from hypothermia on a volunteer basis nearly every weekend.

The body loses heat through convection, evaporation, conduction and radiation. The nyon shell eliminates near 100% of a convective heat loss. If you put a 1 inch layer of air between the skin and the nylon so that a micro climate exists and so that you have eliminated/reduced the radiation loss you will feel 0 affect from the wind chill.

The heat/energy that has passed through the nylon through radiation and is subsequently moved away by air does not affect the rate at which heat is lost and it does not affect the individual's temperature or perception of the temperature.

Regardless, windchill is a rating based on perceived temperature on <b>exposed skin</b>. If the skin is not exposed the relevant temperature rating is the ambient not windchill.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neill View Post
    I have the Chameleon Alert folder (with contents inside) in the ActiveIcon Folder. I still get the alert by the cloud icon for Tacoma, but nothing appears on the tool bar.

Any idea what I can be doing wrong? I can always reinstall from scratch and try again.
    Neill,

You do have those icons selected in the Display tab, right? Can you post a screenshot of that tab? I'm using Animated Weather and we have a snow alert today and it works for me. I could try using your icons if you give me a link to where they are located for downloading.

Greg
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

I just don't see the point in seeing the "actual" temp as opposed to what it actually feels like (taking into account humidity, wind chill, etc.). Just seems like a more realistic weather report I'm new school weather. lol

jhkaplan, yeah you can change it to regular temp by changing the layout file and put in #TEMP# as opposed to the FEELSLIKE version.

Storyr will give the deets as I don't have them from memory.

Storyr, can you let us know how to do this?
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhkaplan View Post
    You basically just open the layout you are using with a text editor and make the change. For example, if you are using Chameleon_01a, you would change the section that says

;TEXT
    #ACTUALTEMP##S-DEG#
    1,48,42,12,C
    tahoma,17,BOLD,TODAY
    with

;TEXT
    #TEMP##S-DEG#
    1,48,42,12,C
    tahoma,17,BOLD,TODAY
    If that doesn't make sense let me know what layout you are using and I will customize it for you.

Greg
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    I just say GregE's post, so I won't go into detail, other than to say need to change #FEELSLIKETEMP# to #TEMP#

Note: #ACTUALTEMP# is not the feels like temp - it's basically the same as #TEMP#

FYI: You can find a layout reference for WeatherPanel here.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Note: #ACTUALTEMP# is not the feels like temp - it's basically the same as #TEMP#
    I wondered about that but didn't see a #FEELSLIKETEMP# in the wpl I opened. Thanks for clarifying storyr.

Greg
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    You basically just open the layout you are using with a text editor and make the change. For example, if you are using Chameleon_01a, you would change the section that says

with

If that doesn't make sense let me know what layout you are using and I will customize it for you.

Greg
    I am trying to get this done with Malatesta Popup Combo. I have chameleon too, but i think that uses actual temp, not feels like. I need feels like temp for Malatesta's popup combo.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Not sure what to open up in text editor or how to do it, really. Any help is appreciated.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Not sure what to open up in text editor or how to do it, really. Any help is appreciated.
    Open the "layout" you have selected in WeatherPanel. It sounds like you're using the Stealth-240 theme, and the Malatesta popup combo layout. In that case, go to that theme directory and open the file Malatesta popup combo.wpl
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Do I open it on the phone or on my PC? Either way doesn't seem to work for me and I am not given the option to open it up in a text editor. I tried right clicking on the PC, but wasn't given the option.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Do I open it on the phone or on my PC? Either way doesn't seem to work for me and I am not given the option to open it up in a text editor. I tried right clicking on the PC, but wasn't given the option.
    You can do it on either you just need to open it with a text editor. I usually do it on my PC just because it's easier for me. You will need to right click and then go to Open With and Choose Program. You can then select notepad.

I went ahead and did it and zipped it. Here it is.

Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks for that. This is what I got though:

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,442,442

If it makes a difference, the temp stopped showing up just before I switched over to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Open the "layout" you have selected in WeatherPanel. It sounds like you're using the Stealth-240 theme, and the Malatesta popup combo layout. In that case, go to that theme directory and open the file Malatesta popup combo.wpl
    Storyr thanks for the great postings. You may think that I am crazy but I have the weather panel working on my treo 700wx and looks very nice.I have set it up by having the wp and weather panel close to each other under the items screen of today.Under the options of weather panel when I go to display, I have 3 options to select: theme, layout and Icon set.The layout is the only one that give me options to choose. Under Theme and Icon set it only shows default. I have downloaded the chamaleon 240 file into my treo and follow the instructions. I have placed the folder and its content just as the read text file says.By now I have place it in almost all the folders related to Marsware and weather panel, but I only get to see the default under themes and Icons. When I check on file explorer, I can see the folders in the right places. Under marsware ,weather panel, default, etc, just like the instructions say. Sorry to be so pushy but. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

If it makes a difference, the temp stopped showing up just before I switched over to this.
    I didn't test it before sending it but just did and it works fine on mine. Maybe try a soft reset or try a different city.

Greg
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

I think your problem is your font size and the fact it's trying to say "35-Partly Cloudy in Chicago, IL". It ends up being too big to fit. Here is what mine looks like using Chicago.

Greg
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis View Post
    Storyr thanks for the great postings. You may think that I am crazy...
    This is true

I have placed the folder and its content just as the read text file says.By now I have place it in almost all the folders related to Marsware and weather panel, but I only get to see the default under themes and Icons. When I check on file explorer, I can see the folders in the right places.
    These are the right places. Do your folders look like this? (ignore the -v2 on the end of Chameleon-240, I'm working on an update )

Storyr thanks for the response.
    No, the folders do not look like that. Under Icons, I am missing the Animated Weather, Dedication 41, and Stardock animated. Only the Default is present.
    Under Themes also I only have now the Chamaleon and the Default.
    Did I missed something during the installation of Marsware? Is it because that is only the trial?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Storyr thanks for the response.
    No, the folders do not look like that. Under Icons, I am missing the Animated Weather, Dedication 41, and Stardock animated. Only the Default is present.
    Under Themes also I only have now the Chamaleon and the Default.
    Did I missed something during the installation of Marsware? Is it because that is only the trial?
    Thanks
    Those are just extra icons and themes storyr has installed. They are not necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    Those are just extra icons and themes storyr has installed. They are not necessary.
    Thanks GregE. I would love to be able to have all the animated icons and fancy screen that storyr uses. In addition I'd like to know why I have not been able to install those files. Maybe I am missing something that I did not install.

I have installed the trial version of Marsware and the WP as well as the Chamaleon 240.

Thanks.
    Thanks GregE. I would love to be able to have all the animated icons and fancy screen that storyr uses. In addition I'd like to know why I have not been able to install those files. Maybe I am missing something that I did not install.

I have installed the trial version of Marsware and the WP as well as the Chamaleon 240.

Thanks.
    My God lghitis, just how long have you been working on installing this one application? What are you up to now, 4 weeks? You should know that there is this search engine called "Google", and it does a really great job of finding out answers to simple questions like yours....of course you would have to be somewhat self-sufficient to begin with...