Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=Malatesta;1166714]

I just don't see the point in seeing the "actual" temp as opposed to what it actually feels like (taking into account humidity, wind chill, etc.). Just seems like a more realistic weather report I'm new school weather. lol
    [QUOTE]

feel temp is not useful or accurate for most ppl. ppl seem preoccupied with braving & reporting the coldest temp. Windchill affects only exposed skin. If it's cold you rarely have exposed skin and ambient air temp is much more accurate. nevertheless everyone wants to trumpet what cold weather they are enduring.
    ...same deal for humidity & heat.
    imho, windchill and heat index are worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Within the Chameleon-240 zip file are alert icons (ChamAlert) that need to be installed into the icon set you're using with the theme. The installation instructions for the alert icons are included in the readme.txt file.
    I can't find a folder for the Animated Icons. I have a Default folder under Icons, but can't find the Animated folder. Do I place the entire Cham Alert folder inside, or only its contents?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Storyr,

I just installed your chamelion theme. Nice work, I love it. I can't get the image s loaded on the right side of the WP screen. Any idea why? I have all of the images loaded into the Icons folder under default.
    http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,442,442
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neill View Post
    I can't find a folder for the Animated Icons. I have a Default folder under Icons, but can't find the Animated folder. Do I place the entire Cham Alert folder inside, or only its contents?
    Entire folder. Here is what the read me says.

5. Install the alert icon files as follows:

5.1 Unzip the ChamAlert files (use folder names)

5.1 Using the same method as above, copy the
    ChamAlert folder (and it's contents) into
    each icon folder that you use. For example,
    if you use the Default and Dedication41 icon
    sets, your folders should look like:

- Program Files
    - MarsWare
    - WeatherPanel
    - data
    - Icons
    - Dedication41
    + ChamAlert
    + Mini
    + ChamAlert
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    If you installed the Animinated icons using a windows installer, it probably won't be under the MarsWare folder - look around in Program Files (or your storage card if you installed it there) to find it.

When you find it, copy the ChamAlert folder and it's contents into it. You need to copy this into each icon folder that you use, so you may as will copy it into the Default icon folder too...
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhkaplan View Post
    Storyr,

I just installed your chamelion theme. Nice work, I love it. I can't get the image s loaded on the right side of the WP screen. Any idea why? I have all of the images loaded into the Icons folder under default.
    http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,442,442
    You're suffering the WeatherPanel "moon problem". The moon display stopped working on 1/1/2007.

BUT, there's a fix! Check this post...
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    feel temp is not useful or accurate for most ppl. ppl seem preoccupied with braving & reporting the coldest temp. Windchill affects only exposed skin. If it's cold you rarely have exposed skin and ambient air temp is much more accurate. nevertheless everyone wants to trumpet what cold weather they are enduring.
    ...same deal for humidity & heat.
    imho, windchill and heat index are worthless.
    Wow. Not to hijack this thread but I have to disagree 100%.

You can't honestly tell me that a Phoenix, AZ summer "feels" the same as a New England summer? Or that a typical Chicago winter "feels" the same as a New York City one? Give me a break. Humidity and wind certainly play a role in how it feels out side. When it's 92 degrees with 90% humidity it feels a lot worse than when it is 92 degrees and 5%. Shoot, even German winters feel worse than a North East one, especially in Bremerhaven.

It's not some manly "my winter is colder than yours" thing but rather takes into account other factors. eh, to each his own.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

You can't honestly tell me that a Phoenix, AZ summer "feels" the same as a New England summer? Or that a typical Chicago winter "feels" the same as a New York City one? Give me a break. Humidity and wind certainly play a role in how it feels out side. When it's 92 degrees with 90% humidity it feels a lot worse than when it is 92 degrees and 5%. Shoot, even German winters feel worse than a North East one, especially in Bremerhaven.

It's not some manly "my winter is colder than yours" thing but rather takes into account other factors. eh, to each his own.
    i agree. that's why the layouts i use MUST show both actual temp and feels like temp. just cause the temp says it's ok doesn't mean I'm going outside. lol
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Storyr,

How did you get PALite to one line in black and white like that? I haven't been able to find a skin like it.
    You can't honestly tell me...

Today's NOAA wind advisory info for Denver area. I promise you, it was COLD this morning, even with the then 39 temp.

NWUS55 KBOU 081524
    LSRBOU

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO
    823 AM MST MON JAN 08 2007

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
    ..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
    ..REMARKS..

0123 AM NON-TSTM WND GST ROLLINSVILLE 39.92N 105.50W
    01/08/2007 M62 MPH GILPIN CO AMATEUR RADIO

0309 AM NON-TSTM WND GST NEDERLAND 39.96N 105.50W
    01/08/2007 M70 MPH BOULDER CO AMATEUR RADIO

0600 AM NON-TSTM WND GST 3 NNW DACONO 40.12N 104.96W
    01/08/2007 M77 MPH WELD CO TRAINED SPOTTER

0745 AM NON-TSTM WND GST 7 WNW BERTHOUD 40.35N 105.21W
    01/08/2007 M89 MPH LARIMER CO TRAINED SPOTTER

&&

$$

BLOUIS
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhkaplan View Post
    Storyr,

How did you get PALite to one line in black and white like that? I haven't been able to find a skin like it.
    Talk about hijacked... check your PM.

I propose a new WeatherPanel text substation command, particularly useful in New York (in the summertime), and if you live near dairy farms:

#SMELLSLIKE#

This command could be incorporated into the existing themes, such as the Malatesta Popup Combo, displaying something like this:

20 - Mostly cloudy in Chicago
    and smells like _________
    Talk about hijacked... check your PM.

I propose a new WeatherPanel text substation command, particularly useful in New York (in the summertime), and if you live near dairy farms:

#SMELLSLIKE#

This command could be incorporated into the existing themes, such as the Malatesta Popup Combo, displaying something like this:

20 - Mostly cloudy in Chicago
    and smells like _________

nice.
    If you installed the Animinated icons using a windows installer, it probably won't be under the MarsWare folder - look around in Program Files (or your storage card if you installed it there) to find it.

When you find it, copy the ChamAlert folder and it's contents into it. You need to copy this into each icon folder that you use, so you may as will copy it into the Default icon folder too...
    I've been looking, but can't seem to find the path for the Animated Icons. Can you (or someone) please help?

I'll agree that it makes a slight difference, but only if there is exposed skin. IN the summer probably more so than in the winter. In the winter feels like / windchill is completely irrelevant. Your body can't feel any windchill when it's covered by jackets, etc. FWIW, I live where it's routinely 90% humidity in the summer and I have logged lots of time at the -20f ambient level as well. Putting on a single layer that prevents wind complete negates windchill, even if the layer is just a sheet of nylon.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 01/08/2007 at 02:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I've been looking, but can't seem to find the path for the Animated Icons. Can you (or someone) please help?
    Try looking at Program Files\WeatherPAnel\Animated Weather.

Greg
    if you put it in to main memory, with your file explorer go to... mydevice/program files/weatherpanel and you should see animated icons folder.

if you put it on storage card go to... mydevice/storage card/program files/weatherpanel
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    Putting on a single layer that prevents wind complete negates windchill, even if the layer is just a sheet of nylon.
    Still have to disagree with you here.

The main point of wind chill is the notion that wind causes forced convection, resulting in a faster rate of heat transfer.

Wearing a nylon sheet in cold, windy condition will not negate the wind chill b/c any heat your body generates would be lost more quickly than if there were no wind. Heck, even wearing jackets and winter clothes does not prevent this 100% (though it does a better job than a nylon sheet).

Likewise, objects like your car, house or buildings will also "cool faster" (read: loose heat faster) due to the same process.

I also do not cover all my parts when going outside or if I were to exercise (running, skiing, ice-skating, walking in the city all day,etc.) hence it's importance.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    if you put it in to main memory, with your file explorer go to... mydevice/program files/weatherpanel and you should see animated icons folder.

if you put it on storage card go to... mydevice/storage card/program files/weatherpanel
    Thanks so much for the help. I 'd been looking under Marsware. At this point, the New York alert is gone. Is there any way I can test this? If someone live in a location with an alert, I could get the weather for that city.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for the help. I 'd been looking under Marsware. At this point, the New York alert is gone. Is there any way I can test this? If someone live in a location with an alert, I could get the weather for that city.
    Tacoma, WA - We're under a flood watch (like usual)
    Tacoma, WA - We're under a flood watch (like usual)
    I have the Chameleon Alert folder (with contents inside) in the ActiveIcon Folder. I still get the alert by the cloud icon for Tacoma, but nothing appears on the tool bar.

Any idea what I can be doing wrong? I can always reinstall from scratch and try again.