Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdillon View Post
    Folks, thanks again for all the hard work you all have done to make this app more usable on the Treo 700W. I have been using the recent 240X240 themes (the layout is S240-Storyr-2.wpl) posted a few weeks ago, and loving it!
    I did have one question, and that was on the weather alert popup, I have white letters on a light beige background. This is next to impossible to read while outside, and was wondering if anyone knew which file to edit, and how to change the font color and background to something more legible. Thanks in advance again, for all your help!
    Dang - I have yet to see a weather alert. I don't currently know how to test it.

I'll check it out...
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Folks, thanks again for all the hard work you all have done to make this app more usable on the Treo 700W. I have been using the recent 240X240 themes (the layout is S240-Storyr-2.wpl) posted a few weeks ago, and loving it!
    I did have one question, and that was on the weather alert popup, I have white letters on a light beige background. This is next to impossible to read while outside, and was wondering if anyone knew which file to edit, and how to change the font color and background to something more legible. Thanks in advance again, for all your help!
    What does your today screen look like? I'm wondering if it's using the alert.wpx file and your screen background is already beige. You could try changing the colors in alert.wpx. It's based off of a R;G;B number so the white letters would be 255-255-255. I see that code in the file and you could change it to 0;0;0 and try it.

Ah what the heck, here is the file with that change. See if it works. I would recommend renaming the alert.wpx to something and then putting this one in there and renaming it to alert.wpx so you can easily go back if this doesn't work.

Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    For what its worth... when I had a local alert, I saw an exclamation point (!) next to what I think is the humidity indication. I than had to go into the settings to see what the alert was. I am using S240-Storyr-1.wpl as my layout
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Dang - I have yet to see a weather alert. I don't currently know how to test it.

I'll check it out...
    Yeah I've only had one and that was this morning. It's gone now so my post before this is just a guess. I figured it was worth a try.

Greg
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    The name of the file is alert.wpx. You can find it in the Default folder. There's also one in Tabs-240 (if you've downloaded that theme). It looks like the Tabs-240 has a black (or nearly black) background. You could try copying alert.wpx from Tabs-240 to Default. You can also edit alert.wpx to look like the Tabs-240 version. Here's the Tabs-240 alert code:

;CURRENT FORECAST

;DRAW
    RECT PENCOLOR-25-25-25 BRUSHCOLOR-165-165-165 WIDTH-8
    0,0,W,H

;DRAW
    RECT BRUSHCOLOR-30-30-30 PENCOLOR-NULL WIDTH-0
    6,6,W-12,10

;DRAW
    RECT PENCOLOR-210-210-210 BRUSHCOLOR-NULL WIDTH-0
    W-15,7,8,8

;GRIPPER
    #VOID#
    5,5,W-10,12

;TEXT
    #T-Weather Alert#!
    5,3,W-10,16,C
    Tahoma,10,UPPERCASE GLOW-255-0-0,255-255-255

;TEXT
    #ALERT#
    6,16,W-12,40,C
    tahoma,10,N GLOW-220-220-220,255-0-0

;CLOSE
    Close.png
    W-16,6

;END
    Oh gawd! Another weekend down the tubes

I'm on it like a fat kid on a Ho Ho...
    lmao

nice dude, nice.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Bah! I can't stop.

Here is another skin: basically I combined mikewchandler's Date Plugin Simulator skin (there's a ton in there) with the Stealth Popup.

It's the date, Reel Feel and current conditions with the time and if you hit that little "F" you'll get the full pop up Weather panel with all your radar goodies, etc.

Dare I say it's the best of both worlds? It's so damn nice looking!

Install:

- Make sure you have the Stealth Theme already installed from Here.

- Download and copy the two files popbase.png and Malatesta popup combo.wpl to \Themes\STEALTH

That should be it. Now if Storyr is kind enough to spare his awesome skills and time to improve upon the actual popup panel to make it easier to read, this theme will rock!

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    You people have to stop!!! Now I don't know what to put on my Today screen!!! Hehehe... just kidding! Thanks for sharing everyone!
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    That stealth theme is cool. Can't wait to see what storyr dose to the popup panel. I also have a Weather Panel theme that fits my WA2 WOW theme. If I have some free time this or next weekend I may have to do some customizing my self.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Here is another skin: basically I combined mikewchandler's Date Plugin Simulator skin (there's a ton in there) with the Stealth Popup.

Dare I say it's the best of both worlds? It's so damn nice looking!

That should be it. Now if Storyr is kind enough to spare his awesome skills and time to improve upon the actual popup panel to make it easier to read, this theme will rock!
    Holy crap! That looks fantastic! I may have to switch to that Today theme too.

My thoughts on the pop-ups: They may seem cool, but in reality, I think they diminish the overall usability of the WeatherPanel detail screens. Here's my rationale:
    1. By their nature, pop-ups are meant to be smaller than full screen size. All this really equates to is less real estate to cram a bunch of weather information on.
    2. The WeatherPanel pop-ups don't really operate any differently than the full screen detail screens - other than they can be dragged around a little. You cannot open more than one at a time (at least I can't).
    3. The only single-handed operation that can be performed is OK - which closes the window. Same behavior as the full screen windows.
    4. I noticed that when you use the stylus to click the close button (on a pop-up), it clicks through to the plug-in behind it. It turns my bluetooth on!

My proposal: Go full screen with the Stealth detail screens. Re-work the Stealth detail screens where it makes sense, and port already reworked screens from Tabs-240 where it makes sense (such as the radar screen).

What do you think?
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I did a little modification of the popup alert. The background rfdillon talked about was set in the alert file. I changed it to more go with my today screen and thought I would share it. I've attached a picture so you can see it too. You can't tell in the picture but there is a white box around it.

To make the change, go to \Program Files\MarsWare\WeatherPanel\Themes\Default. There you should see a file named alert.wpx. Rename it to alert.wpxold so you have your original (just in case). Then put the alert1.wpx I've attached in a zip file in that folder and rename it to alert.wpx.

Hope this helps somebody.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [B][COLOR="Red"]
    My thoughts on the pop-ups: They may seem cool, but in reality, I think they diminish the overall usability of the WeatherPanel detail screens. Here's my rationale:
    1. By their nature, pop-ups are meant to be smaller than full screen size. All this really equates to is less real estate to cram a bunch of weather information on.
    2. The WeatherPanel pop-ups don't really operate any differently than the full screen detail screens - other than they can be dragged around a little. You cannot open more than one at a time (at least I can't).
    3. The only single-handed operation that can be performed is OK - which closes the window. Same behavior as the full screen windows.
    4. I noticed that when you use the stylus to click the close button (on a pop-up), it clicks through to the plug-in behind it. It turns my bluetooth on!

My proposal: Go full screen with the Stealth detail screens. Re-work the Stealth detail screens where it makes sense, and port already reworked screens from Tabs-240 where it makes sense (such as the radar screen).

What do you think?
    In general, I agree.

But, I still like them!!

This is what would be nice: instead of trying to cram everything into them like the full page, it'd be cooler to differentiate them further.

e.g. have the full screen 240 pages (your stuff) be the "big kahuna" of weather information.

have the popups be a "lite" version.

personally, I don't need graphs or anthing--I would almost rather have the popups just have:

-- current conditions ("Now") without the icons. Just a text based one (some themes already have that).

-- alert screen, once again: no weather forecast/icons at the bottom, just text

-- radar is cool

-- forecast screen. that can have the icons.

That way, we don't have to worry about making it look like a pop up full screen, instead it can be a pop up summary/lite version.

In fact, that is what I was wanting all the time and the stealth was the closest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    I did a little modification of the popup alert. The background rfdillon talked about was set in the alert file. I changed it to more go with my today screen and thought I would share it. I've attached a picture so you can see it too. You can't tell in the picture but there is a white box around it.

To make the change, go to \Program Files\MarsWare\WeatherPanel\Themes\Default. There you should see a file named alert.wpx. Rename it to alert.wpxold so you have your original (just in case). Then put the alert1.wpx I've attached in a zip file in that folder and rename it to alert.wpx.

Hope this helps somebody.

Greg
    cool, great idea! out of curriosity is a "clear" box or is it black?

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    cool, great idea! out of curriosity is a "clear" box or is it black?
    I wasn't sure how to make it clear so I made it black to match my theme.

Greg

Greg
    that's cool...in fact I was hoping for that since it gives the highest contrast regardless of the today theme.

that would be nice too for the popup panels.

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Greg
    Since this is a pop-up, clear wouldn't really work very well - the stuff behind it (the Today screen) would blend in with the contents.

But, to make something clear, use NULL for the brush color. Example:
    ;DRAW
    RECT BRUSHCOLOR-NULL PENCOLOR-0-0-0 WIDTH-1
    0,0,W,H
    This will produce a clear box with a black single-pixel border.

This is cool: You can also make stuff opaque using ALPHA. Example:
    ;DRAW
    RECT BRUSHCOLOR-0-0-0 ALPHA-50 PENCOLOR-0-0-0 WIDTH-1
    0,0,W,H
    This rectangle, even though the brushcolor is black (0-0-0), allows stuff behind it to show through. The layout TabsSmaller(clear) in Tabs-240 uses this technique. Notice how the Main tab, even though it's clear, is a little darker than it's surroundings:

You can adjust the amount of opacity by varying the ALPHA number from ALPHA-0 (clear) to ALPHA-100 (solid)...
    Very nice job on it. It looks great.

...out of curiousity, how much storage & program memory does this program and all of its mods/hacks take up?

Personally I like the simplicity of spb weather, although I wish it had a radar image capability.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    In general, I agree.

But, I still like them!!

This is what would be nice: instead of trying to cram everything into them like the full page, it'd be cooler to differentiate them further.

e.g. have the full screen 240 pages (your stuff) be the "big kahuna" of weather information.

have the popups be a "lite" version.

personally, I don't need graphs or anthing--I would almost rather have the popups just have:

-- current conditions ("Now") without the icons. Just a text based one (some themes already have that).

-- alert screen, once again: no weather forecast/icons at the bottom, just text

-- radar is cool

-- forecast screen. that can have the icons.

That way, we don't have to worry about making it look like a pop up full screen, instead it can be a pop up summary/lite version.

In fact, that is what I was wanting all the time and the stealth was the closest thing.
    I hear ya...
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Thanks so much,Grege, and everyone else who has helped make a good app FANTASTIC! I can't wait now until I can get a weather alert in order to see the new alert box! I really do appreciate all the work you all have done making this one of the most used applications on my 700W. I am constantly impressed with the amount of information and the pleasant outlay that these latest thems have given us, and thank you all for all the work and time you have sacrificed to help the rest of us.
    Thanks so much again, Richard!
    I like the Malatesta idea about a pop up thing, but i also like the tab its eassy to read the tabs then the pop up at its present condition. Hopefully those two will be combined to something amazing. but for now i'll stick with the tabs.