Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    Ok, so perhaps I was doing a soft reset too soon after changing the settings in Outlook. This time around I changed some settings (added the SMTP server, changed how many days worth of email to show) and then waited a minute or so and then did a soft reset. This time no settings were lost. So perhaps this is just something I need to get used too with WM5. If I make any changes always give it a good minute or so before doing a soft reset.

So far I have done a few soft resets and email is staying put, which is good. Now I just need to go back and install everything I need back onto the phone
    I recall seeing a thread on the issue of making registry changes "stick" (but I can't find it). Apparently, WM5 will keep the changes in RAM until you power the device off - at which time they're written to ROM. If you soft reset without powering off first, you'll lose your changes...
    storyr, interesting that. I wasn't powering off the phone (if that's even possible :P) just doing a soft reset.

One of the few gotchas for people coming from POS to WM5.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    storyr, interesting that. I wasn't powering off the phone (if that's even possible :P) just doing a soft reset.

One of the few gotchas for people coming from POS to WM5.
    I think all you have to do is press the Power/End button, then turn it back on.

This must be what was happening. I'm glad you got past this, because WeatherPanel a nice addition to your software portfolio
    I was joking about being able to power it off, know that the Treo devices are never truly off.

I'll do some more playing around later on tonight and keep my fingers crossed that things don't go pear shaped. I love weatherpanel and look forward to having it on my today page
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    I was joking about being able to power it off, know that the Treo devices are never truly off.
    Got me! Duh...
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    I posted this previously on PPCGeeks, but thought folks here might be interested in it (cause it's cool!). Many of you may already know how do to this, but if not...

You have to setup WeatherPanel to retrieve radar images from a URL.

In the WeatherPanel settings, select your city and click Edit. Then click the Weather Images button. Choose Add New, then type a name and the URL to the image you want.

I used the URL to one of my local tv station web sites: http://www.king5.com/sharedcontent/n...le-440x330.jpg. Make sure the image is updated on a schedule.

When you find the image you want (in IE on your PC), right-click on it, choose properties, and you'll see it's URL. This is what you type into WeatherPanel. By the way, it doesn't have to be a radar image - it can by any type of image you want - like a web cam or something! For example: Solar system simulator: http://mars1.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/realtime/odyssey.jpg

Another thing: After WeatherPanel has collected a few images, it displays a little play button on the image. When clicked, it will animate all of the images it has...
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    I've been reading up on www.weatherpanel.net a couple of things about WP. As most us now the developer of WP has been missing for 1+ years. It also seems that WP authenticates against marsware's site which can, essentially, go offline any day now. Anyone have any more info on this?

Also... it is obviously NOT a good idea to pay money for WP since it seems you'd never get a reg code. But I remember reading that because of this same issue the trial will never expire; is this also true?

It would just really suck that after we've found such an awesome app that most of us have gotten to look and function as we like it, it would go offline.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I'm learning that you can't worry about something that you can't control.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Well this I'd pretty darned nice, I just typed in the name of my city as a 1 time initial setup, looks great, doesn't seem to slow my system down. Thanks!

EDIT: The plugin severly slows the initial start up of the today screen after a soft reset.
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 10/04/2006 at 08:47 AM.
    Ok, another spanner (wrench) that I'll throw in the works here. I've been playing around with WP and Sprite backup and it looks like if I try to restore a backup which includes WP it messes up the Treo to the point that I had to do a hard reset and re-install. I did some tests last night and successfully backed up and restored via Sprite up until the point that I installed WP. The backup was fine, no problem there, at least not that the app was showing, but when restoring the only thing that is available via the windows key is the "Today" page, and nothing else. All the other Apps, Messaging, IE, Contacts, Programs, Setting, etc all vanish.

I need to run some more tests but this is a concern.

So, anyone else that has WP installed and Sprite backup that can confirm that they have done a successful restore ? Be warned, if you do a restore be prepared to do a hard reset and the reinstall of each app. Right now I have a backup without WP installed and that restores just fine, so at least I have a point I can go back to.

I'd really apprecaite any other input on this, especially those with WP & Sprite installed. I'm really glad that I tested the restore out now, rather than when I really need it
    Bumpety bump. Really curious if anyone has the same problem
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I'm too scared to try it!!!

Greg
    Come on Greg...don't be a pu$$y What's the worse that could happen ? You have to reinstall everything again. Takes me 1 hour. BUT, wouldn't you rather know now (when it's not critical that you will lose something because you know it might crap out) rather than when you really need to restore and find out that you can't. Also, if other people are experiencing this too then we all need to put pressure on Sprite to fix the problem.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    lol
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Takes one hour, that's a good one!
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Kash76, I said it takes me 1 hour, which it does I don't have that much stuff on my 700wx right now, so re-installing about 7-8 things and re-syncing takes about 1 hour. No biggie, but like I said, I'm glad I found this out now and not when I needed it, because then I'd be screwed. For the time being WP stays off so that I can successfully backup and restore.

Are there other people using something besides Sprite that can confirm that a full backup and restore with WP works ?
    Kash76, I said it takes me 1 hour, which it does I don't have that much stuff on my 700wx right now, so re-installing about 7-8 things and re-syncing takes about 1 hour. No biggie, but like I said, I'm glad I found this out now and not when I needed it, because then I'd be screwed. For the time being WP stays off so that I can successfully backup and restore.

Are there other people using something besides Sprite that can confirm that a full backup and restore with WP works ?
    I use SPB Backup and have had no issues.

Give the trial a shot. It'll create and .exe file that can restore your entire system.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta, can you confirm that you've done a full backup and restore with SPB backup with WP installed, with no problems after the install ?

Obviously there is some problem with Sprite which doesn't fill me with confidence.
    Memory is hazy. I'm pretty positive I have done a full restore recently with WP installed.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Care to run a test and let me know ? Just trying to determine if there are issues with Sprite. I'll download the trail for SPB backup and give it a try.

Do you have a link for SPB Backup ?

Cheers.