1.    #1  
    I've searched around but still haven't found a suitable replacement for the following apps:

Butler (need the LED and attention grabber alerts) ** PhoneAlarm seems to do the LED and attention grabber alerts
    FlightStatus
    Directory Assistant (I will email the guy who ported it to WM and see if he can do the new version with the maps)
    VolumeCare (not as needed on the 700wx but would still be nice to have)
    KeyCaps - MUST HAVE
    Keyshades - MUST HAVE

I'm getting my 700wx for a decent price ($400) and want to have all of my software ready to go when it arrives.
    Last edited by 2000 Man; 09/21/2006 at 11:32 AM.
    So, you made the switch to WM?
    That's what I soon will be doing also.
    Just call me Berd.
    While we're at it, any programs similar to Hi-Launcher? It seems cascading start menus are everywhere, but very few have 1) keyboard support and 2) are customizable, add extras such as date/time, etc.

As for Butler: PhoneAlarm
    There is a WM port for directory assistant, but the other programs(minus volumecare) will run under styletap probably.
  4.    #4  
    The WM port of DA is very old and doesn't include any of the new features like the maps and support for the 5-way. Maybe the developer will port the most recent version over.

I'll have to check on PhoneAlarm, thanks.
    BTW, i haven't needed directory assistant on the WX because the google maps java application is that good. i suggest you give that a try as soon as you get it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    BTW, i haven't needed directory assistant on the WX because the google maps java application is that good. i suggest you give that a try as soon as you get it.
    I'll give it a try but it's nice having one app that does everything instead of multiple lesser apps.

I wonder if Jeff Gibson will ever do a VolumeCare for WM5?
  7.    #7  
    PhoneAlarm looks good for a Butler replacement. I'm now looking for KeyCaps and Keyshades equivalents.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    PhoneAlarm looks good for a Butler replacement. I'm now looking for KeyCaps and Keyshades equivalents.
    Keycaps is coming soon for the Treo 700w/wx:

http://www.qoolapps.com/index.html

As far as KeyShades, I started a request thread at the PhoneAlarm forum. The developer isn't too keen mostly because he doesn't have a Treo (he's in Europe I believe) so he can't test anything. Might have to find another developer to look into that one (maybe the XDA Developer guys once they get their GSM 750s?)

No Volumecare. Too many hardware variables to make a general WM5 application; not enough demand to make a Treo specific application (it is freakin' loud as is). PhoneAlarm at least allows you to control volume levels (including earpiece) by Profiles which is very handy.

Nothing like a "FlightStatus" program though I just use http://wap.4info.net/ and type in:

airline + flight # or city pair

Ex: "swa 396" or "jblue jfk oakland"

Personally I'd rather do that then have yet another program.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/21/2006 at 12:24 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Thanks. I saw the qoolapps page already. Not having Keyshades really sucks. I'm surprised that there isn't a program like it yet. It would be useful on devices other than the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    Thanks. I saw the qoolapps page already. Not having Keyshades really sucks. I'm surprised that there isn't a program like it yet. It would be useful on devices other than the Treo.
    Agreed. Bruce (developer of PA) thinks is a driver issue which could get tricky and being that only Verizon had the 700w, there weren't many users of a WM Treo out there. Tack on Sprint and soon Vodaphone and Cingular and your WM Treo user base explodes, so I'm sure it'll come around eventually. Market and need define everything.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter