Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A few people asked me to post a review of the device because they know that I am a Palm fanboy... since I've given this device a REAL true field test (basically a week in my life) I think I can respond.

If you want to skip the details... the 700wx is by far the best TREO to date. Not almost... not by a smidge. BY FAR. I am amazed at how happy I am finally with a phone.

CONS:

-Support for 240x240 games... yeech. Astraware does only about 4 or 5 of those. Others are scaled and are a complete joke. Other companies have done ports and its being supported more and more as 240x240 screens are being introduced into the market. Still it's abysmal to say the least.

-On Demand software is CRAP. I loved it for the 700p... I can use it for the WX but I get errors and it's sluggish. Someone ported this piece of crap without thinking. There are alternatives and I have still used On Demand in a pinch... if it stays open.

-This one is personal... I can't view Live Scoring with my football fantasy site (http://fbc.fanball.com) it is very annoying but I downloaded Opera and that worked. I didn't like how Opera felt... I might try Opera Mini this week. I always have my laptop open anyways for football Sunday.

-No Threaded Text Messaging as promised (advertised)! I am so pissed over this one. I text a LOT! Like 2500-3000 messages a month. Yeah... I'm just that popular. No. Really. People LOVE me. Anyways... it was the best thing about the PALM series and the WX community feels its a matter of time it should be here since the 750v has it. Still, it was advertised and I feel really let down.

-Applications are sometimes more stable in Palm than in WM5.0. What I mean is that Directory Assistance (there is one but it's also sloppy), On Demand (as mentioned before), Opera (Mini), Astraware games (look better... obviously the scaling issue) and others are just more stable. I think this will change as more ports are done correctly when it's realized this is the better (and still alive) OS.

-Battery - This one goes to the 700p. It is cured with my second battery and charges that I always have (it's nice to have the same connector series from phone to phone, you always amass those). If I use a heavy day of AIMing, Texting, Emailing, Surfing and Calling... I am pretty much at 30% by 7 or so. This is without the charge here or there. The Treo would be around 43%... not better by much. There were days I'd have to swap out the P's battery for a second round of hanging out. The WX will just have to get a few more of those days... it's actually ok because I feel like I am doing so much more with the WX that it is justified in my head.

PROS:

-Faster internet than my 700p. It can just handle and render pages so much better with PIE. 240x240 is NOT noticed by me at all. I don't think I see less and now that WM5.0 has fixed the scrolling issue (hold down and it scrolls through pages not links) it is a great improvement.

-Streams so much better than the 700p. With Kinoma plugin it was hit or miss with streaming... I listen to Opie and Anthony on XM and it was a absolute pain to connect to it. Hit or miss implies it was 50-50... so 20-80 is more like it. the WX is right on with streaming (you can't turn off the screen completely or it stops streaming but so did the 700p).

-Multitasking is actually important. You could never stream OnA and then go to another page or play a sudoku or answer an email or answer a text or.... ok you get the point. The WX just does it well. Doesn't miss a beat.

-Email is built in and done right. Pocket Outlook isn't Versamail (enough said).

-One handed better than the 700p. THAT's right! Soft keys make the world so much better. I can do one handed navigation like a champ. I have big hands too.

-Louder than the 700p. No Volume Care needed... I hear everything, sometimes a bit too loudly.

-STABLE. I have not had a forced soft reset yet. Everything I've done was by me to either change a registry setting (another PRO ) or to complete a backup. Boot ups are quicker than the 700p too. Most WM5.0 devices take upwards of 60+ seconds, not here! 20 seconds is too long at times. Have I been able to slow it down? SURE! But I was trying to... that is my point. I had opened about 8 programs and was surfing the net. It's just firm at what it does.

-Bluetooth. This one paired right up with my TOMTOM700 Go, all of my headsets (no dropouts), and let me send pictures of a classmate being an arse to everyone's laptops while in class. It just works good (MS stack usually does work well with my devices).

-Phone. It works ***very*** well as a phone. Best ever as a WM5.0 device and on par with the P series. I am almost in shock as I type that sentence.

Conclusion:

Other power users here have told you that this phone is great. I am just another one out there telling you how well this phone performs. If you don't have an experience with WM5.0 (I've owned ppc6600 and the ppc6700) than you will have growing pains. That is a platform issue... it happens to everyone (Apple to Windows to Linux). You will find the transtition will be dramatic and welcomed all at once.

Any questions... feel free to post here. I'll gladly answer now that I gave this device the chance to prove its worth it.
    Great, honest review from another fellow Palm fan boy. I never thought I'd say it either, the 700wx is the best Treo to date. I was so impressed today at what I was able to do. I could never have done this on a Palm OS Treo.

I wanted to download a youtube video to my Treo, but I am off site at class today and had removed TCPMP from my Treo. I convereted the youtube video on my Treo (directions from a thread on here), then downloaded the TCPMP app to the desktop I was working on. I emailed the app to my Treo, opened it, and was able to watch the video. It was an "ah-ha moment".

Being able to make tweaks using registry editor is very nice. Internet speed is considerable faster than my 700p. Great review.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jerks!

Jealousy is eating me up!

Come on GSM! (Cing)
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    -Streams (you can't turn off the screen completely or it stops streaming but so did the 700p).
    It is possible to turn off the screen! This had me real frustrated (to the point of thinking I had to go back to my 700p):

In Windows Media Player, go to
    1. Menu-> Options
    2. Go to the 'Buttons' tab
    3. Scroll Down to the 'Toggle Screen' setting
    4. Hit the 'Assign' Button (I chose the letter 'p' on the keyboard)
    5. OK

Notice that while you're in media player, now you can press the letter P on the keyboard and the screen goes off (Note: whenever you want to turn off the screen and music is playing/streaming, you must switch back to Media Player) Unfortunately, the keyboard stays on until someone figures how to turn that off, but this is good enough for me.
    I'm still on the fence...mainly due to limited PIM useablility.

Coming from Agendus and Chatter....two great apps, its hard to do PIM and email FAST and with a clean interface. Just to add an appt or task takes work and opening the builtin Calendar app takes 5-6 seconds and then a few more to load info!

Not as efficient as 700p.....sure it multitasks but I can do so many more things faster and get to my info quicker with the 700p.

Active sync plain old sucks.....always causes dups and it takes forever to just sync regular PIM stuff. Birthdays show up 8 times per contact per day!! WTF. I have to delete the dups and then they come back again. My settings are default for AS.

Email is ok but we can't navigate thru folders? Chatter lets us do everything without the stylus - prefs, multiple folders, sync, delete, - all without pulling out the stylus.

The 700wx is definitely an upgrade to the 700w, without a doubt, I am certainly NOT disputing that, but I think I am still on the fence between the great useability of the 700p and the NEWER WM5 and 700wx.

I guess some more time will tell.
    Last edited by fkjr2; 09/19/2006 at 02:35 PM.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    FYI I use a program called AE Button Plus for other reasons (assign 4 functions per button) but it also has an option to map to a hardware key "turn off screen"--not dim it, or turn off the backlight but completely off (the device looks like it's off).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Does assigning an app to open after pressing shift + phone key still work? I heard you have to hold down the shift key while pressing the navigation key. True/False?
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post

Active sync plain old sucks.....always causes dups and it takes forever to just sync regular PIM stuff. Birthdays show up 8 times per contact per day!! WTF. I have to delete the dups and then they come back again. My settings are default for AS.

Email is ok but we can't navigate thru folders? Chatter lets us do everything without the stylus - prefs, multiple folders, sync, delete, - all without pulling out the stylus.
    The beauty of Windows Mobile with Direct Push, is that I never activesync with the wire anymore.

There is an update coming to mobile outlook to allow one-handed navigation of subfolders.
    Re: multiple entries in outlook, I just use SKTools (once again, for other things, like cleaning, etc) and it has a feature to delete duplicate Contacts and Appointments. Very handy. Of course, I only had to use this feature once so far.

Also I have no issue with AS. Works for me and it's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post

Coming from Agendus and Chatter....two great apps, its hard to do PIM and email FAST and with a clean interface. Just to add an appt or task takes work and opening the builtin Calendar app takes 5-6 seconds and then a few more to load info!

Not as efficient as 700p.....sure it multitasks but I can do so many more things faster and get to my info quicker with the 700p.

The 700wx is definitely an upgrade to the 700w, without a doubt, I am certainly NOT disputing that, but I think I am still on the fence between the great useability of the 700p and the NEWER WM5 and 700wx.

I guess some more time will tell.
    Check out TodayAgenda. It's a great free PIM plugin which makes shows your appointments and tasks on the today screen. It makes it easy to add or delete appointments and tasks directly from the today screen. And it's free! You can display as many days of appts on the today screen as you want.

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=1475
  11.    #11  
    I love how this thread is evolving! IT just shows that Palm Lovers can find solutions that are just as good if not better than what they used to have and know. It's worth the trade off of learning the device to get the device to feel like it manufactured in this decade.
    For the Chatter and Agendus lovers out there you have many options on Windows Mobile. If you "really" need agendus you can have it on your 700wx using styletap. I'm using it on my 700wx, because I just find it is easier to do datebook with the Palm OS. I'm still trying out other apps for datebook, but I wouldn't stay with Windows Mobile if I found that things were getting done faster, and better with the Palm OS. I have done that many times and went back to the Palm OS because Windows Mobile just couldn't keep up with me, the 700wx does and then some. I can do so much more now. Sure there's going to be some re-adjustments getting used to a new platform, but the beauty of the 700wx is that it's still a Treo, Palm made it so intuitve. I haven't found the perfect datebook replacement, pocket outlook, agenda fusion, pocket informant all do what I need them to do, sure I'd like to be able to use Agendus, and I do!!

Chatter is so easily taken care of on Windows Mobile. I love chatter, and Marc is the best Palm OS developer in my opinion. I don't want to take anything away from him. Windows Mobile does "chatter" out of the box. You have so many options for push email, it's a no brainer.

You might say chatter and agendus are too important to leave the Palm OS, but you can do both on the 700wx. Agendus in styletap if you can't give it up, and chatter with outlook. I understand people's fear with Windows Mobile, I never wanted it before. I probably wouldn't recommend a Windows Mobile device to anyone, but the 700wx is the exception, because it's from Palm. Darth was completely honest with his review, and I can tell you I am a "Palm fan boy", the 700wx does Windows Mobile right, and you can use your Treo so much more than you ever could before, trust me.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Darth I am going to post your review to my site, you hit the nail on the head with the 700wx. It'll be great for other Palm OS users to see.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    For the Chatter and Agendus lovers out there you have many options on Windows Mobile. If you "really" need agendus you can have it on your 700wx using styletap. I'm using it on my 700wx, because I just find it is easier to do datebook with the Palm OS. I'm still trying out other apps for datebook, but I wouldn't stay with Windows Mobile if I found that things were getting done faster, and better with the Palm OS. I have done that many times and went back to the Palm OS because Windows Mobile just couldn't keep up with me, the 700wx does and then some. I can do so much more now. Sure there's going to be some re-adjustments getting used to a new platform, but the beauty of the 700wx is that it's still a Treo, Palm made it so intuitve. I haven't found the perfect datebook replacement, pocket outlook, agenda fusion, pocket informant all do what I need them to do, sure I'd like to be able to use Agendus, and I do!!

Chatter is so easily taken care of on Windows Mobile. I love chatter, and Marc is the best Palm OS developer in my opinion. I don't want to take anything away from him. Windows Mobile does "chatter" out of the box. You have so many options for push email, it's a no brainer.

You might say chatter and agendus are too important to leave the Palm OS, but you can do both on the 700wx. Agendus in styletap if you can't give it up, and chatter with outlook. I understand people's fear with Windows Mobile, I never wanted it before. I probably wouldn't recommend a Windows Mobile device to anyone, but the 700wx is the exception, because it's from Palm. Darth was completely honest with his review, and I can tell you I am a "Palm fan boy", the 700wx does Windows Mobile right, and you can use your Treo so much more than you ever could before, trust me.
    Here's a real question for the POutlook fans (not meant to criticize, I just want to see how others have their email setup): Do you use the WM Treo as a serious email device with all your messages stored locally? Chatter lets me store all my emails to the card. So I'm limited only by my server and the size of my SD card (2GB+). POutlook stores everything in Storage memory. Eventually, I can see storage memory running out with PIE, PO, etc all dumping their cache and files into it. Then what do you do? Do you just leave recent messages on the device and not sync older messages?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Blazer lets you use the SD card for cache-ing?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Do you use the WM Treo as a serious email device with all your messages stored locally? Chatter lets me store all my emails to the card. So I'm limited only by my server and the size of my SD card (2GB+). POutlook stores everything in Storage memory.
    I suggest reading "This is how you can store your ActiveSync-synchronized Outlook mail on your storage card" for a quick solution.

The solution is simply adding a String value named PropertyPath containing the new mail directory path to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ MAPI in the Registry. This value should contain the directory on your storage card you’d like to store your synchronized mail on. The directory doesn’t need to be manually created; it will be automatically created upon the first mail synchronization.
    I assume this works on the 700wx as well since the registry entry is their for MAPI.

Also, Flexmail, though not a "light" as running Outlook it is certainly more powerful, allows storing of all email to the Storage Card, like Chatter.

I think for light-to-moderate email usage, Outlook is fine. I venture to say that the 700wx has a tremendous amount of internal storage and is sufficient for most users. For heavy email usage, Flexmail seems to be a better program as it can do so much more (and is overkill for my needs).
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Blazer lets you use the SD card for cache-ing?
    Move all PIE Cache To Your SD Card

Personally, I find storing most everything to the Storage Card to result in a loss of performance. Since there is so much memory in MainMem on the 700wx, I don't find any need to use either one of these "solutions" to move mail or cache to the storage card, especially since all I get is slightly slower access/read times. YMMV.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/19/2006 at 06:04 PM.

I use my 700wx as a serious email device, I relied on chatter so much that I seriously thought I'd go back to the 700p. Not the case. The 700wx does push email right out of the box, very easy to setup. I have 5 email accounts setup for push email, works flawlessly.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The beauty of Windows Mobile with Direct Push, is that I never activesync with the wire anymore.

There is an update coming to mobile outlook to allow one-handed navigation of subfolders.
    Hi, can you explain please how you setup Direct Push. Right now I use Pocket Outlook Mobile for AOL imap accounts. I don't have a company exchange account or anything like that - just AOL personal email. Can I still use Direct Push and sync PIM? Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc View Post
    Check out TodayAgenda. It's a great free PIM plugin which makes shows your appointments and tasks on the today screen. It makes it easy to add or delete appointments and tasks directly from the today screen. And it's free! You can display as many days of appts on the today screen as you want.

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=1475
    Thanks, I am using Spb Diary - I would really love a fast efficient app to quickly view a week of appts with the option to drag and drop appts! Thanks again! (I work in retail and have lots of scheduling to do-weekly)
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post

I am definitely trying to keep an open mind here....but Styletap and Adendus= NOT SO GOOD It really doesn't render Agendus well at all, feels like the old pda days as far as feel and looks. Still looking for the killer PIM app to use for week and month views to easily reschedule appts/task....been using Spb Diary on Today page...its nice but need something to view and edit weekly appts .

Chatter really blows away anything that WM5 can offer, not sure what you mean by lots of options....I only see Outlook which is lacking navigation thru multiple folders...it is good yes but not great.

I am certainly learning this "new" platform but as I add new apps, the device gets sluggish, the trick I found is to keep it light on the lofers with not too many apps.....a pity because you can load the crap out of the Palm OS, apps upon apps, and it still runs fast.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast