1.    #1  
    Problem: I have over 10,000 contacts on my Palm Pilot. I need a phone device that will hold all of these contacts. My BlackBerry only has 64MB. Research has shown me that 64MB=approximately 2200 contacts. The math shows that there are 7800 contacts left out when I sync, so I have to ditch my BB.

Question: #1 - Does the T650 or T700W allow me to store contacts on the SD card? I know you can store MP3s, JPGs, and mail attachments on such but I wasn't sure if the OS allowed for contacts to be stored there. If so then I have my solution - purchase a 1GB SD card and choose one of the above mobile devices.

#2 - If the answer to question #1 is no, is there a mobile device that would alllow me to store 10,000 contacts (164MB) on a memory card?

Thanks guys. It's been a while since I posted, but TreoCentral has always been helpful in the past.
    sorry dont know the answer to your question. just to be realistic and not to be mean but you cant possibly need that many contacts. go with a phone you like and delete a few thousand contacts. it'll be much easier to sort through them and my guess is you wont be contacting a few thousand of those ever again. dont let your 10000 contacts dictate what phone you get. lose some and get the phone you like.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockmarket View Post
    Problem: I have over 10,000 contacts on my Palm Pilot. I need a phone device that will hold all of these contacts. My BlackBerry only has 64MB. Research has shown me that 64MB=approximately 2200 contacts. The math shows that there are 7800 contacts left out when I sync, so I have to ditch my BB.

Question: #1 - Does the T650 or T700W allow me to store contacts on the SD card? I know you can store MP3s, JPGs, and mail attachments on such but I wasn't sure if the OS allowed for contacts to be stored there. If so then I have my solution - purchase a 1GB SD card and choose one of the above mobile devices.

#2 - If the answer to question #1 is no, is there a mobile device that would alllow me to store 10,000 contacts (164MB) on a memory card?

Thanks guys. It's been a while since I posted, but TreoCentral has always been helpful in the past.
    Holy snikes!! As another poster said you can't possibly need that many contacts. If you do you should be able to use the Treo. Another idea would be to off load some of the less used cntacts to a word document, which you can search, and store on the card.
    Do contacts on the blackberry and Windows treo really take that much space? I have about 700 contacts, some with pictures, many with dual addresses and notes and the file on the Treo is only 300kb. That means 10,000 contacts would be 4.3mb.
    No answer, but: Isn't it amazing there are so many others that know what you need?
    I guess they know exactly how you need to use your device. That said, one poster did mention a way to manage...
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    No answer, but: Isn't it amazing there are so many others that know what you need?

Question: #1
    - Does the ...T700W allow me to store contacts on the SD card?

A: No. Not on a WM5 device.

As to the 2nd question. I have no idea and I would suspect many of us do not know as we have never had to sync that much.

I'm not even sure what that would look like on WM5. Maybe it'd fit, maybe not.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    How do you who think it's not possible know that the 10K contacts aren't from all over the world in various categories? They may not be all people but also lots of businesses of various types. I put in many of my favorite businesses, restaurants, sales contacts, etc. and dumped my paper business cards. Not all of them are from the same area. And it adds up. It may be rare to have 10K contacts, but it could be possible.

Some devices seem to reach a limit of 1000 or 2000 contacts from what I've seen. I don't know of one that will go as high as 10K.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    OP, what is your calculation based on? If 2200 contacts takes up 64MB of space then each contact would consume approx. 32KB.

My own contacts (over 1600 of them) are only consuming 342KB. Even if I double that to account for some overhead, I don't come anywhere near 64MB and I'm only 500 contacts shy of the 2200 you say will take up 64MB.

You might want to rethink your analysis. Something is not adding up.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I was thinking the same thing as far as not adding up sizewise (kb vs records). sorry my post was of no help to OP, it just irks me when some folks feel they KNOW what others NEED or want.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    i have many users who have blackberries (the old ones with 32 mb of memory) and some of the users have 8,000+ contacts, with out issues