Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    BB Connect will not connect when its in UMTS mode. For some reason BB Connect only likes a GPRS/EDGE connection. I keep mine on GSM only mode during the day. I only switch back to Auto (UMTS/EDGE) when I plan on surfing, etc.
    I'm seeing the same thing on the Cingular network in Houston. BB COnnect will not connect when in UMTS mode, so I force GSM.

However, once interesting twist, is that you can sort of use BB Connect when on the UMTS network by using a little "trick". When you have BB Connected "connected" (i.e. 4 dots) go to the Phone settings and change the Band selection to Auto instead of GSM. IF the 750V picks up a GPRS connection first, BEFORE going to UMTS, then that short period of time will allow BB Connect to gain a connection (4 dots) before UMTS kicks in. To me, it seems that GPRS/EDGE is only necessary for BB Connect to gain its initial connection to the blackberry APN, but once it is established, then UMTS seems to work fine.

I'm just hoping that when the Cingular 750V comes out (and its ROM is released) then they would have worked out the bugs to get BB connect to connect using UMTS.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by SY in Houston View Post
    I'm seeing the same thing on the Cingular network in Houston. BB COnnect will not connect when in UMTS mode, so I force GSM.

However, once interesting twist, is that you can sort of use BB Connect when on the UMTS network by using a little "trick". When you have BB Connected "connected" (i.e. 4 dots) go to the Phone settings and change the Band selection to Auto instead of GSM. IF the 750V picks up a GPRS connection first, BEFORE going to UMTS, then that short period of time will allow BB Connect to gain a connection (4 dots) before UMTS kicks in. To me, it seems that GPRS/EDGE is only necessary for BB Connect to gain its initial connection to the blackberry APN, but once it is established, then UMTS seems to work fine.

I'm just hoping that when the Cingular 750V comes out (and its ROM is released) then they would have worked out the bugs to get BB connect to connect using UMTS.

Simon
    I noticed this as well. When I switched over to a GSM connection, i see that BB Connect is still connected. However, if I open pIE/etc. I will lose my connection to the BES.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    The link is no longer working on the Palm page. Any anyone please post BB Connect for the 750? Many thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by COTB View Post
    The link is no longer working on the Palm page. Any anyone please post BB Connect for the 750? Many thanks.
    PM me your email and I will send.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Been having an issue with this phone. Compared to using BBC (internet service) on my Tytn, my 'U' symbol is always connected, with the two arrows, draining battery power and eating up memory, so much that when I recieve a call it is delayed.

On my Tytn, the U remains solid and I still recieves emails no problem.

Any ideas on why this is so, and is this standard for other Treo 750V users? I love the Treo, but if this continues I have to move it on.
    How do you know that the connected U is draining power and eating memory? I see no evidence of this. It doesn't really matter if the TyTN shows the U connected or not, there is no way you can get email without a data connection. Just no way. This sounds more like a bug with the TyTN not properly displaying the data connection state.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    How do you know that the connected U is draining power and eating memory? I see no evidence of this. It doesn't really matter if the TyTN shows the U connected or not, there is no way you can get email without a data connection. Just no way. This sounds more like a bug with the TyTN not properly displaying the data connection state.
    So is your connection always active too?, with the two arrows, or is it just mine. I just assumed the memory and battery drain was because of this...
    Once the data connects I get the U with two arrows underneath. The arrows remain unless I manually disconnect or go out of range so the data connection is lost. To be honest, I don't have a good way of measuring but I don't see any drain associated with the data connection open unless you are actively sending/receiving data. If you have your mail checking every 5 minutes you will want to change that. I don't see any extra memory being taken up by the data connection being open.

Quote Originally Posted by outfocus View Post
    So is your connection always active too?, with the two arrows, or is it just mine. I just assumed the memory and battery drain was because of this...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I can't speak to if UMTS drains the battery, but I do know it doesn't allow the BB connect client to remain connected. Which tells me that something behind the scenes is not holding a connection to allow the BB connect client to remain connected to the BES/BIS. I know GPRS has minimal impact to the battery and network connection which is probably why the BB Connect client works under this connection.
    Brian McGuire
    Managed to install successfully, use for a couple of days with no problems, and all of a sudden i now only get two dots instead of four. I have a GPRS connection and pIE works no problem. Under the Identity tab of the BB Connect software, it says "No Connection." Tried restarting, reinstalling, and just about everything else that i can think off. Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by COTB View Post
    Managed to install successfully, use for a couple of days with no problems, and all of a sudden i now only get two dots instead of four. I have a GPRS connection and pIE works no problem. Under the Identity tab of the BB Connect software, it says "No Connection." Tried restarting, reinstalling, and just about everything else that i can think off. Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Make sure you force a GSM connection rather then have it set as Auto. I have had this issue before and this fixed it. Also make sure you stop all processes and relaunch BB Connect.
    Brian McGuire
    thanks Brian...that did the trick. mine actually works like a charm now.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have T-Mobile service and an iPAQ 6915 currently. If I change from my grandfathered $20 Internet package to the $20 T-Mobile Blackberry add-on and get the BB Connect software for my phone will I be able to have the same thing you guys are discussion here?

Does Internet Explorer still browse the web well with a Blackberry internet plan? I was under the impression that there was no way that the BB plan would allow me to use Windows Mobile on the internet.

If I decided I don't like the BB Connect software and got rid of it would my device still be able to use the internet connection from the BB plan or would I need to change back to a normal internet plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5 View Post
    I have T-Mobile service and an iPAQ 6915 currently. If I change from my grandfathered $20 Internet package to the $20 T-Mobile Blackberry add-on and get the BB Connect software for my phone will I be able to have the same thing you guys are discussion here?

Does Internet Explorer still browse the web well with a Blackberry internet plan? I was under the impression that there was no way that the BB plan would allow me to use Windows Mobile on the internet.

If I decided I don't like the BB Connect software and got rid of it would my device still be able to use the internet connection from the BB plan or would I need to change back to a normal internet plan?
    That's correct. You will be able to use the internet while on a BB plan. If you decide that you do not want the BB Connect software, you can easily switch back to a normal data plan.
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    What would happen if I removed the BB Connect software and didn't change the plan back to regular internet? Would I still be able to access the web like normal or does the BB Connect software somehow make that possible when it would otherwise be so?

Also, where can I get software that isn't specific to the 750v, and which version do I get? Or, is the download from Palm "unlocked" for use on any WM device?
    What would happen if I removed the BB Connect software and didn't change the plan back to regular internet? Would I still be able to access the web like normal or does the BB Connect software somehow make that possible when it would otherwise be so?

Also, where can I get software that isn't specific to the 750v, and which version do I get? Or, is the download from Palm "unlocked" for use on any WM device?
    If you removed the BB Connect software, you would still be able to leverage the connection/plan. Having the BB Connect plan means you can provision your device to a BES/BIS. The actually internet connection is the same.

The Windows Mobile BB Connect software is the same regardless of provider. However, you will see version number differences, but I have tried them all and never noticed anything major.
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the help...

I have what I hope will be my last question. Would any T-Mobile users tell me what settings to use for connecting the device so that the BB Connect software can set itself up? It has no PIN (and doesn't go to get one) and the dropdown menu on the second page is grayed out.

The PIN says "Pending" and the IP Address says "No Connection" so I have nothing going here.
    Thanks for all of the help...

I have what I hope will be my last question. Would any T-Mobile users tell me what settings to use for connecting the device so that the BB Connect software can set itself up? It has no PIN (and doesn't go to get one) and the dropdown menu on the second page is grayed out.

The PIN says "Pending" and the IP Address says "No Connection" so I have nothing going here.
    I assume you installed the BB Connect desktop software as well? That's what extracts the PIN for previsioning.
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yes, I do have the Blackberry desktop software installed. How do I make it recognize the PPC and get the PIN though? I feel like such a newbie! I am accustomed to activesync and not BB.

The BB Connect software isn't showing the PIN. A warning box pops up saying it is not provisioned properly and I need to contact IT or something similar. I don't have that...I just want to use the BIS. How do I get the PIN if BB Connect won't let me?
    Last edited by Silver5; 12/09/2006 at 01:39 AM.
    Yes, I do have the Blackberry desktop software installed. How do I make it recognize the PPC and get the PIN though? I feel like such a newbie! I am accustomed to activesync and not BB.

The BB Connect software isn't showing the PIN. A warning box pops up saying it is not provisioned properly and I need to contact IT or something similar. I don't have that...I just want to use the BIS. How do I get the PIN if BB Connect won't let me?
    Make sure you do not have other Blackberry software on your computer. I have had similar issues in the past.
    Brian McGuire
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast