Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok guys i want your help. I currently have a Tytn which i am really struggling with using as a phone, its very cumbersome, and integration with my bluetooth car kit is a lottery works some days and not others. I love the look of the treos always have but and i am thinking of swapping the tytn for the 750v when it comes out. My main question is what are your experiences like with the phone side of the treos particulary one handed use whilst driving etc, hate having to use the stylus all the time, missed calls and generally a poor phone experience.

Also if i get one would it be easy to unlock form vodaphone and use by other sim card with unlimited data

Any advice or sites you could point me to for more info would be great

Thanks
    Chris
    Hi Chris, Welcome to Treocentral. The 750v is Palm's first WM5 GSM product and since it's not released yet there's not much in the way of user experiences. Here are a couple of reviews (both very positive):

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archi...12/750672.aspx

"The device has excellent Audio quality and making/receiving calls has been 100% reliable for me!"

This one is in dutch:

http://www.pocketinfo.nl/artikel/6520

(pretty bad) translation:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...artikel%2F6520

The use of the phone one-handed should be much better than the TyTN because 1) the keyboard is always exposed and 2) Palm have added contact look up and picture speed dials to the Today screen specifically to improve ease of dialling. As I understand it these will work just like on the 700w and there's a quite detailed description in the Treocentral 700w review:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/735-3.htm

You can also get some idea of the interface in the video here:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/906-1.htm

Palm have also added threaded SMS, which is really nice on their Palm OS devices. You can get a hint of it in the pocketinfo.nl review.

No idea if Vodafone will offer the option to unlock if you buy out the contract. It's a thought, but I'm guessing it would prove pretty expensive.
    Although the Tytn has better specs, Treo's form factor, IMHO, is the best in business. Plus as marcol points out, Palm's enhamcements certainly make using the device a better experience than most Windows based Smartphones.

If I didnt rely on WiFi much when travelling, then the 750v would've been the almost-perfect device for me.

-a
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info guys very interesting, my useage would be most importantly a phone first and pda second, i have had smartphones and found them too restictive, i have had many pocket pc phones and started off very happy but ended up more and more frustrated with the poor phone performance. This treo looks like its going to be my perfect device.

Thanks again for your help

Chris
    I was also deciding between the tytn and the treo 750. After reading the reviews thus far, I've decided to wait for the unlocked version of the treo 750 though I'm desperately in need of a pda phone.
    I currently have the 8125, and as many of you already know, it has the same form factor as the Tytn. At first I loved the device's hardware: landscape keyboard, slide design, etc. And of course, I loved WM5. However, as the months rolled on, my interest with the slider waned although my love for WM5 stayed consistent. I owned a Treo 650 beforehand and I missed the always available keyboard. Also, I used the 700w/wx at the stores, and really liked how palm implemented some things. It was more intuitive, and made what I wanted to do easier.

With the 750v, you'll have a much easier time with it. For example, if you have hundreds of contacts, you can search right from your Today Screen by typing in the first few letters of their name. With the 8125, I would have to go to the contacts screen, pull out the keyboard and start typing, find the person I wanted to call, slide it closed, and then start talking. I've actually skipped using the KB on my 8125 for quick contact searches and just try to hit the little letter tabs at the top of the screen to find them faster, which is tedious and annoying.
    Good info on general use and the Palm enhancements here:

http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/treo750v/index.html
    i am debating betwen these two devices as well. i think a big variable in this equation is how long do you intend to keep the device? short term then go for the treo, long term then go for the tytn
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    i am debating betwen these two devices as well. i think a big variable in this equation is how long do you intend to keep the device? short term then go for the treo, long term then go for the tytn
    Could you explain why you think this is the case?
    =============================
    play back this tape, I swear you'll see
    i only wanted you to be with me
    kill the last romantic
    then come back for me
    Quote Originally Posted by dixter13 View Post
    Could you explain why you think this is the case?

the tytn has more features now than the 'unreleased' cingular 750. the cpu, camera, wifi, bigger screen, and ptt. i think in the long run you could get use the tytn for a longer time before having to upgrade again
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    i personally think that the longer you have the Tytn form factor, you'll begin to dislike it more and more like my experience with the 8125.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    i personally think that the longer you have the Tytn form factor, you'll begin to dislike it more and more like my experience with the 8125.
    Hmmm...strange. I like my K-JAM just as much now as when the day I bought it (exactly one year ago)!

I am not sold on the so-called "one handed" use just because of a frontal keyboard. I tell you, I paid attention this morning on my 1:30hr train ride. I surfed the web, played music via A2DP, ran several applications, all without the use of a stylus or touching the screen. Sure, typing an email requires two hands for the keyboard.

Sure, some of Palm's Today plug-ins are convienient, but heck, any WM5 user can match 95-100 percent of the functionality in one way or another (via 3rd party apps).

As far as typing is concerned, I know some pretty heavy blackberry users (my wife included). Never, ever have I seen anyone type one handed.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Disclaimer: I say this without having used a Treo 750.

After my experience with the 8125 I don't think I would ever get it's successor. I hope something else comes along with less bugs and a better form factor. Perhaps the 750 is that device.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Disclaimer: I say this without having used a Treo 750.

After my experience with the 8125 I don't think I would ever get it's successor. I hope something else comes along with less bugs and a better form factor. Perhaps the 750 is that device.
    Better form factor? Perhaps. Less bugs? Both devices (750v and Wizard/Hermes) use WM5 with probably minor AKU changes.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I agree about the 8125 getting annoying. maybe its because i had a treo 650... at first i liked the sliding keyboard, and its size, however, i have now come to dislike it. I long for the treo form factor. i am can't wait for the 750 to come to cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    i think that is a personal opinion. i happen to love the form factor of the tytn. i thought the screen was too small of the treo
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Quote Originally Posted by tut00 View Post
    I agree about the 8125 getting annoying. maybe its because i had a treo 650... at first i liked the sliding keyboard, and its size, however, i have now come to dislike it. I long for the treo form factor. i am can't wait for the 750 to come to cingular.
    the form factor has no match. i think that is the saving grace of the palm units. the screen like i had mentioned earlier is a touch too small. as far as the OS, the palm and the tytn will have the same bugs.
    i think the keyboard under the screen is great but i never found the keys to be perfect as many have mentioned. i never used the treo one handed because i always pushed the wrong keys. if you plan to upgrade next year you should go for the treo because maybe they will add wifi when every other phone finally has it. to upgrade from a gsm 650 to a 750 just for th OS seems like palm is ripping us off
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    To each their own, but I tried the TyTN and found it wasn't for me. My biggest issues were:

1.) Hated the form factor, I don't want sliding/moving.
    2.) Single worst d-pad implementation in the universe. Flat d-pad crammed in with other small buttons. Have to use a fingernail and be careful to make it move the right way. Whoever designed that d-pad should be shot. No, wait that's too quick, bury in sand, cover with honey, release the fire ants!
    3.) Useless screen in sunlight. Really. If that screen is transflective it's one of the worst implementations I've seen in a long time.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    To each their own, but I tried the TyTN and found it wasn't for me. My biggest issues were:

2.) Single worst d-pad implementation in the universe. Flat d-pad crammed in with other small buttons. Have to use a fingernail and be careful to make it move the right way. Whoever designed that d-pad should be shot. No, wait that's too quick, bury in sand, cover with honey, release the fire ants!
    I agree with that point. That's why I would prefer the Hermes 100 style device which Cingular will be selling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jngold-I use my 8125 on the train all the time, mostly web and agile. But when its loading webpages in the background, it won't enter all of the keys I'm pressing so a lot of my words re missing letters. Also, I don't really mean typing a lot one-handed, but finding a contact onehanded from the today screen, or tapping off a quick text message like 'when?' are examples of quick one handed use.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast