Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Obviously, there are pros and cons to each of our points. Most certainly I do understand your point in having the simplicity of a single button - open launch screen solution. However, in a multi-tasking OS like WM, you have more flexiblity and room to configure the OS to be as complex or as simple as you want (to a point of course).
    As it happens, I just ordered a Nokia E61, which has both a single app button and a multi-tasking OS It also has something that I really didn't realise I valued quite so much - a five-way navigator that's not right at the bottom of the device (it's above the QWERTY like on a Treo). Because of its position I found the one on the Vario II to be fairly uncomfortable to use, not helped of course by the fact that was a cheap and nasty piece of crap! I think if I were to go back to WM5 it would definitely be to a Treo-form-factor device.
    Jgold - I'm not sure if you're skimming my posts and reading things differently, but I'm not stating that the wizard can't be used one-handed. I'm just saying it wasn't designed to be used one-handed. Given the fact that the hardware didn't even come with ok/start keys (a 3rd party developer created Smartskeys, its not a default application) only further supports my point that it wasn't DESIGNED to be used with one hand. But as I have said before, it definitely is possible to do, and many things ARE easy to do one-handed - just not as easily as it is on a device like the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Because of its position I found the one on the Vario II to be fairly uncomfortable to use, not helped of course by the fact that was a cheap and nasty piece of crap! I think if I were to go back to WM5 it would definitely be to a Treo-form-factor device.
    Marcol,

You got a bad device. What can I say? Of all the forums I participate in and even moderate, I haven't heard anyone really complain about the d-pad on either a Hermes or Wizard device. The sliding keyboard...yes, but not the d-pad. The d-pad on my Imate K-JAM is rock-solid.

Gadget,

I got 'cha loud and clear. It has been my contention that MS should mandate that all WM Phone edition devices MUST have both an OK and Windows Menu key on the face of the device. As it stands most newer devices since the KJAM do include these button with the exceptions falling few and far between. These button do help improve one-handed operation greatly. My point has always been (and even outlined by Jeff Kirvin - who was the biggest Palm addict of all time) that you can improve the one handed experience greatly on ANY WM5 device.

Hey, not for nothing, but the 750v has got my attention too and most certainly be on my "short list" for my next device. Whether or not I go with one will all depend if I can make sacrifice of smaller, square screen and lesser on the fact if I can get an unlocked one at a resonable price (on Cingular).
    Last edited by JGold; 10/09/2006 at 10:56 AM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    You got a bad device. What can I say? Of all the forums I participate in and even moderate, I haven't heard anyone really complain about the d-pad on either a Hermes or Wizard device. The sliding keyboard...yes, but not the d-pad. The d-pad on my Imate K-JAM is rock-solid.
    Yeah, I may have just got a lemon. It really did have quite a lot of things wrong with it (d-pad scroll wheel, keyboard, Wifi). I might have gone for a replacement but I learned enough to know that even if all the hardware had worked as it should have, the device really wasn't for me. I could have had any number and the d-pad would still have been in the same position! I wonder what I'll find to dislike about the E61?
    Marcol,

Gadget,

I got 'cha loud and clear. It has been my contention that MS should mandate that all WM Phone edition devices MUST have both an OK and Windows Menu key on the face of the device. As it stands most newer devices since the KJAM do include these button with the exceptions falling few and far between. These button do help improve one-handed operation greatly. My point has always been (and even outlined by Jeff Kirvin - who was the biggest Palm addict of all time) that you can improve the one handed experience greatly on ANY WM5 device.

Hey, not for nothing, but the 750v has got my attention too and most certainly be on my "short list" for my next device. Whether or not I go with one will all depend if I can make sacrifice of smaller, square screen and lesser on the fact if I can get an unlocked one at a resonable price (on Cingular).
    I have to agree that after adding programs like Smartskeys, the 8125 IS 75%+ useable as a one-handed device. Just a few shortcomings I guess. After seeing your screen shots, I can see how you've really maximized the one-handedness of the wizard, so more power to you
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Well I currently have a Tytn that I have been using for the past few months and now that the 750 is finally getting close to come out on cingular, I will be sticking to my Tytn. Why? Because I just love the the screen size, the jog wheel, the processor and the keyboard is not as cramped like the treo. I also can do everything I need with out taking out a stylus. I have my today screen configured the way I want to and everything works smoothly. I have played with my friends 700wx and although I like the treo form factor everything feels cramped the screen and keyboard. Also I have noticed since palm has tweaked the WM5.0 OS to work better on the treo my friend sometimes runs into small problems with certain apps that I have no problems at all.
    I also dont understand how people love Palm OS so much since just to get it do the most basic things you have to buy 3rd party software. The POS doesn't even support UMTS and the lack of multitasking is unacceptable anymore. With my Tytn I can be on a call, surfing the web, taking down notes something that POS would only dream off. The only thing that POS might have a little edge is on the one handed aspect but not by much anymore.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I've had a TyTN for a while now, and although it's an incredible device with just about every feature you can think of crammed into it, it's ultimately not a great PDA or a good phone.

I'm so tempted to get a Nokia E61. The Treo 750v is off my list due to the lack of WiFi, whether or not I could get one off of the Vodafone network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    I've had a TyTN for a while now, and although it's an incredible device with just about every feature you can think of crammed into it, it's ultimately not a great PDA or a good phone.

I'm so tempted to get a Nokia E61. The Treo 750v is off my list due to the lack of WiFi, whether or not I could get one off of the Vodafone network.
    Maybe not your preference in phone-style. However, not a great PDA? What do you consider a great PDA?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    As a phone it might not be perfect but as a pda its pretty much perfect!
    just got my 750v yesterday from a Vodafone shop

no charge for the phone on even a 17 contract!

i have to say this device is fantastic. i have had virtually all of the HTC devices and everyone of them was excellent but with a few flaws......... even the Tytn/M3100, which i think is absolutely their best device, wasn't completely one handed and a little bit akward as a phone (i'm not a fan of touching the screen with fingers, and pulling the keyboard out to search through 500+ contacts is just not quick enough!!!!)

the Treo has everything i was looking for...........one handed use with absolutely minimal (if not zero!) need to use the stylus.........more phone shaped and phone feel but without having to be the smartphone version of Windows Mobile..........dial direct from the front keypad, if you start tapping numbers, it displays them, if you start tapping letters, it brings up the appropriate contacts......really easy and quick to dial someone, particularly if you have lots of contacts!

the call quality is stunning....... maybe i am deaf, maybe i am fussy, but every smartphone/pda phone i have had has been a little compromised on call quality........sometimes tinny, sometimes too quiet, sometimes a bit of vibration when speaking..........the Treo is bassy, loud and very very clear............

they seem to have addressed the basic needs of a converged device.........the silence switch on the top is a great idea........i know you can lower the volume on most other devices, but it involves tapping the volume icon, scrolling down or selecting silent/vibrate.......... maybe i am just too lazy, but one switch to silence and one to turn back on is great !! and quick !!

the sms chat thread is also a brilliant idea - i did defect once (for about 23 hours!) to a Treo 650 and this was probably the best feature.......... it's like MSN but using SMS !!! replies are bundled together and just the latest response is displayed in the inbox, so the display remains uncluttered

i like Mini SD instead of Micro !! I like long stylus that goes into the top and not telescopic that comes out of the bottom (and is potentially likely to get loose and fall out !)....... i like not having to press hard on certain letters on the keyboard (i know, hardware/firmware issues with the HTC range!!)....... i definitely like not having to realign every 2 days to get the stylus to work! but then i dont want the stylus anyway!!!

ok, no wifi, but i am not missing something i rarely used........ i wanted a phone that wasn't huge (Universal, Loox 830) wasn't symbian (P9xx, M600 etc), WAS Windows Mobile with Push Active Sync, DID have a keyboard (and a good one), DID have 3G (so i can finally speed up IE)........ the Treo delivers them all

above are just my opinions, i respect everyone's opinions about all the other devices and i am in no way flaming other devices........ i am just so pleased with the Treo that i thought i would share it..........

cheers

Mark
    but battery life could do with improvement!!!!
  12.    #72  
    Mark

I am considering swapping my Tytn for the Treo 750, and you have the same concerns as me with other ppc phones, one handed operation and ease of use without the stylus, my main concern is the slower processor speed and HSDPA lacking with the treo, have you experienced any slow downs with the phone, missed calls etc

I am excited now after reading your review

Chris
    chrissyboy - The difference that I've seen/heard/read about the Treos is that Palm tends to really integrate the software with the hardware, tweaking WM5 (in fact, Palm is the only company that was allowed to make such substantial changes to the OS), adding features, and really making for a better user experience. Even though the clock speed is lower, most people/reviews state that the Treo performs significantly faster in real life use. This is thanks to Palm's concentrated effort in making the treo a real solution for mobile users.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
    Mark

I am considering swapping my Tytn for the Treo 750, and you have the same concerns as me with other ppc phones, one handed operation and ease of use without the stylus, my main concern is the slower processor speed and HSDPA lacking with the treo, have you experienced any slow downs with the phone, missed calls etc

I am excited now after reading your review

Chris
    hi Chris, have seen you posting over at Modaco! i am normally boyo69 but this forum wouldnt allow me to use that one !!!

processor seems by far quicker than the v1605 (the vodafone version of the Tytn).........dont know why, just is........and i loaded the Tytn rom onto the v1605 just to make sure it was completely carrier 'unbloated' !

HSDPA is going to be available soon as (i guess) a rom upgrade according to posts i have seen elsewhere.........although 3g on this device using PIE seems soooooo much quicker anyway!!

phone works really well, little touches like 'save unknown number as new contact', pressing green dial button rings up a list of recent calls, missed call notifier that allows you to 'call back' direct from the screen......... it just seems to be a bit more complete as a phone compared to the Tytn......

i think that for a phone, most people choose a smartphone........ for a pda, most people would plump for the Tytn type Pocket PC phones....... but the Treo offers the best of both worlds......... i would have been tempted even if it were still Palm, but to have (my preferable) WM5 makes this a great device

regards

Mark
  15.    #75  
    Mark

Thanks alot for your comments, could i ask you a few more questions please.

I notice that it doesnt have a jog wheel, thats one of the best things on the Tytn for me, do you miss it at all. Also whats the bluetooth like, the tytn is rubbish with my parrot car kit, it worked for the last couple of weeks now it wont connect automatically, not bothered about wifi either so thats not a problem for me. I have had smartphones and find them limited for pda use where as the pocket pc phones are too clumsy for phone use, one last thing, can you tether this to your laptop and use it as a modem if you can i think this could be my perfect device

Chris
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doug0365 View Post
    As a phone [the TyTN] might not be perfect but as a pda its pretty much perfect!
    It's little things on the WM5 TyTN which don't quite work right. When you try to look up a contact I open the slide out keyboard, and the cursor focus moves away from the name field! Also, when you activate the symbol/number lock to type in phone numbers, it disables the back-delete key!

I'm a long-time PalmOS Treo 600 user and Palm got these little details just right. I've got the feeling that Nokia would also get this right in their Symbian equipped E61...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
    Mark

Thanks alot for your comments, could i ask you a few more questions please.

I notice that it doesnt have a jog wheel, thats one of the best things on the Tytn for me, do you miss it at all. Also whats the bluetooth like, the tytn is rubbish with my parrot car kit, it worked for the last couple of weeks now it wont connect automatically, not bothered about wifi either so thats not a problem for me. I have had smartphones and find them limited for pda use where as the pocket pc phones are too clumsy for phone use, one last thing, can you tether this to your laptop and use it as a modem if you can i think this could be my perfect device

Chris
    hi chris

jog wheel is a miss, you're right, but i didn't have the tytn long enough to REALLY love it.....

bluetooth works........i have an issue with the BMW bluetooth in that the contacts aren't loading into the car (the Tytn did) but the connection is rock solid every time and pairs up virtually instantly.......i leave the phone in the centre console to see who's calling so as long as i have reliable consistent hook up i am pleased, the contacts issue will be sorted i am sure on the next rom update

haven't tried the modem link, but there is a program called, er, um, Modem Link (!!!) that shows connection via IR or USB and even allows you to select the access point (if you want to choose away from your normal access point) so i am assuming USB or IR modem connection is possible........

i am very very nearly sure this is my perfect device, very blackberry in functionality, very smartphone in phone use (and reliability of phone use) and very Pocket PC in pda use.......plus it is not large!!!!

regards

Mark
  18.    #78  
    Great, now i have to work out the best way to get one and get it unlocked so i can use my contract tmobile web n walk

Chris
  19. tcs
    For treo users, i dun think jog-wheel is a miss. i prefer to use the d-pad anyway

Tytn is a great pda but not phone for sure.
  20. tcs
    One can definitely get more battery life by manually changing the network type to gsm.

Is there any WM5 softwares that can control the LED & keyboard light like wat treo utilities: Ledoff and kb lightoff offering?

Also wondering any WM software like schedulecare?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast