Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, somewhat new to the forum

I have been watching and now its time to post

ok, ive had Treo 600,700W and now 700wx EDITED
    I also used a ppc6700 which i liked, the keyboard is hard to beat.
    Im kinda torn on going back to the 6700, i had a older rom ver ppc and I did the hack that would allow calls to ring through while using the internet.
    On the new ROM ppc6700 will the phone ring through while using the internet?
    I might go back to the ppc but I want to make sure, i hate losing calls while usng agile or anything else.

Thank you
    I might have a 650wx for sale soon.
    Last edited by crf450; 09/16/2006 at 09:35 PM.
    People might not be very interested in your 650wx since the new 700wx is out now Sorry, just giving you a hard time...I am sure you meant to say 700wx.

I can tell you this as a fact....the 6700 is absoltely worthless if you live in a 1x area and you need to use direct push. You will have to hit the send button at least twice every time you try to make a call. Calls in to you will often go straight to voicemail. Stupid, stupid, stupid programming.

My 6700 will be going back to Sprint later this week. 700wx is in route.
    Quote Originally Posted by enoreeriver View Post
    People might not be very interested in your 650wx since the new 700wx is out now Sorry, just giving you a hard time...I am sure you meant to say 700wx.

I can tell you this as a fact....the 6700 is absoltely worthless if you live in a 1x area and you need to use direct push. You will have to hit the send button at least twice every time you try to make a call. Calls in to you will often go straight to voicemail. Stupid, stupid, stupid programming.

My 6700 will be going back to Sprint later this week. 700wx is in route.
    Do realize that this is a limitation of CDMA technology and is not specific to the 6700 or any phone. 1xRTT does not allow calls to ring through when data is actively being transfered, so expect your 700wx to send calls to voicemail when using directpush in a 1x area. Only Ev-DO allows calls to ring through when actively transferring data...personally, if I was in a 1x area, I wouldn't use directpush...not only would it kill battery, but it might block calls...
  4.    #4  
    so far I dont think i have missed a call with my 700wx and i have agile open almost the whole time
    but i do rememebr having my ppc and missing a lot of calls
    Quote Originally Posted by crf450 View Post
    so far I dont think i have missed a call with my 700wx and i have agile open almost the whole time
    but i do rememebr having my ppc and missing a lot of calls
    You're probably in an Ev-DO area, so calls will ring through. Eno was saying that the 6700 doesn't allow calls to ring through while data is being transfered in a 1x area. Well I'm just saying that's a problem with all CDMA phones, not just the 6700. I have heard that there is 1xRTT rev A that allows calls to ring through, but from what I hear, it's uncommon for towers to use it.

When did you buy your 6700? If it was produced after April, then the Ev-DO ringthrough hack doesn't work with it, hence why you might have missed some calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Do realize that this is a limitation of CDMA technology and is not specific to the 6700 or any phone. 1xRTT does not allow calls to ring through when data is actively being transfered, so expect your 700wx to send calls to voicemail when using directpush in a 1x area. Only Ev-DO allows calls to ring through when actively transferring data...personally, if I was in a 1x area, I wouldn't use directpush...not only would it kill battery, but it might block calls...
    We have a Verizon 700W at our office that works perfect with Direct Push in our 1X area. No calls to voicemail and no hitting the send button twice.

Also, I am not referring to times when data is being actively transferred. I am referring to any given moment that I have direct push enabled. In other words, this happens even if there is no send/receive happening at the moment.

If this is not bad enough, I am tired of rebooting my 6700 several times a week when I have already hard reset it, removed the memory card to avoid DSOD, and uninstalled every piece of software that I wanted to run. The 6700 is currently pretty horrible for me, but could be better if they release this upcoming firmware. I don't plan to hang around and find out. 9 months with the 6700 is all I can take.
    FWIW, I have a 6700, tried a 700wx for a week, sent it back to Palm, now I'm back to my 6700. Truth is, I just couldn't get used to the tiny screen on the wx. I use my calendar (PI 2007) iGuidance GPS, and Slingbox all the time and the extra screen space (and no added WiFi bulk) really helped me make my decision. It's nice to be able to see a full month/week at a glance...couldn't do that well with 240x240.

Don't get me wrong, the wx is great, but I associate it more with a phone and the 6700 with a PDA/phone. I need a PDA with a large screen more so than the compact Treo form factor (I was a former 600 and 650 user). GPS is a challenge on the small wx screen, IMO.

Great device, but the 6700 fits me until the next device comes out!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    FWIW, I have a 6700, tried a 700wx for a week, sent it back to Palm, now I'm back to my 6700. Truth is, I just couldn't get used to the tiny screen on the wx. I use my calendar (PI 2007) iGuidance GPS, and Slingbox all the time and the extra screen space (and no added WiFi bulk) really helped me make my decision. It's nice to be able to see a full month/week at a glance...couldn't do that well with 240x240.

Don't get me wrong, the wx is great, but I associate it more with a phone and the 6700 with a PDA/phone. I need a PDA with a large screen more so than the compact Treo form factor (I was a former 600 and 650 user). GPS is a challenge on the small wx screen, IMO.

Great device, but the 6700 fits me until the next device comes out!
    I don't use any of the items you mentioned, but the smaller screen and the lack of wifi are certainly "bummers". At the end of the day, Direct Push and Making/Receiving calls is the most important thing for me. I can't do that with the 6700 in my 1X area.
    Quote Originally Posted by enoreeriver View Post
    I don't use any of the items you mentioned, but the smaller screen and the lack of wifi are certainly "bummers". At the end of the day, Direct Push and Making/Receiving calls is the most important thing for me. I can't do that with the 6700 in my 1X area.
    Good thing we have a choice! Personally, the dialing issue with having to place calls twice before it goes through happened to me on the wx too. I think it's a WM5 bug.

They are both great devices that fill similar needs. I just didn't want to deal with juggling SD cars (wifi/memory) each time I wanted MP3's/wifi.

Anyhow, the wx and 6700 are great devices. Just depends on your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    the dialing issue with having to place calls twice before it goes through happened to me on the wx too

Yes, I would expect it to happen if the phone is downloading a message/doing a send/receive...actually, I think that is pretty bad programming too, but I can tolerate it.

The 6700 fails my calls even if it is not doing a send/receive....just having direct push turned on is all it takes. I can't tolerate that any longer.

If the WX behaves the same, I guess I will be forced to move! But, again, the Treo 700W from Verizon that we have works great with Direct Push, so I am hopeful the WX will also.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    My 6700 OFTEN drops the first time I try to dial and I have to dial again.

It's *VERY* annoying.

I'm thinking of trying the 700wx, but the ONLY thing I really like in comparison is the bigger screen of the 6700.

Can't they make a perfect device just for me?
  12.    #12  
    hum, i dont know what I want to do, all i know is that I havent missed a call for 2weeks now havng the wx, and it sounds like I have a more of a chance of missing calls on the ppc.

So if i went to sprint and got the PPC, it will have new rom. BUT
    I cant use the ring through Hack on the new rom?
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    hum, i dont know what I want to do, all i know is that I havent missed a call for 2weeks now havng the wx, and it sounds like I have a more of a chance of missing calls on the ppc.

So if i went to sprint and got the PPC, it will have new rom. BUT
    I cant use the ring through Hack on the new rom?
    The wx is a ppc (WM5)...... Are you saying 6700 when you say ppc??
  14.    #14  
    so the newest PPC6700 wont ring throgh on evdo or it will?

Thank you
    so the newest PPC6700 wont ring throgh on evdo or it will?

Thank you
    PPC 6700's manufactured in April (April 19th I believe) will not ringthrough on Ev-DO. If you happen to buy a new one, chances are it won't ring through.
  16.    #16  
    ok
    Thank you
    forget that
    I hate missing calls
    doesnt make sense to have a PDA/Phone that doesnt ring through

O well
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    off topic but, do you have a crf450? =]
    I got a 450X
    This is just great....the WX has the same direct push in 1X area problem that the 6700 has. You have to hit the send button twice usually to get your calls to go through when direct push is active (only in 1X areas which is everywhere around me).

The Verizon 700W that we have at my office does not have this problem (and it is using direct push...I am positive), so maybe there is a setting or registry change that can be made to fix this on the WX.

I have tried this on two WXs and they both have this problem.

Still no regrets on getting rid of the 6700, but I sure would like this problem fixed.

By the way, I found this info regarding the 6700 and this problem, but I am not sure if it is accurate or related or whatever:

Open up the phone app
    * 2. dial ##778
    * 3. hit send
    * 4. a screen will pop up asking for a code
    * 5. enter 000000 ( thats 6 zeros)
    * 6. click ok
    * 7.You will be brought into the provisioning of your phone
    * 8.From the top left, select Modem Settings.
    * 9.On this page, your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) Your phone should have a 1 in that spot
    * 10. Click edit change it to 0
    * 11. click the ok button then the X in the upper right hand corrner
    * 12. The VX6700 will restart and its all done...
    The procedure above is to decrease RING DELAY when RECEIVING a call.

Verizon uses CPOP now, a feature that allows 1x data to PAUSE and phone calls to pass through, a GREAT feature that I will miss in 1x areas I'm sure!

I hope Sprint gets on the ball with this soon. It is probably the most important feature of a wm5 phone, since there are many 1x-only places still out there. I am lucky the places I go to most are EV, but not all of us are, and Sprint needs to fix this ASAP.
  20.    #20  
    yes, I do have a Crf450 2006

For sale also $5800
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast