1.    #1  
    I have had a 700wx since it came out. I like it alot, especially push email with my exchange server. However sprint coverage just isn't doing it for me. is the limited memory associated with the Verizon 700w that bad that I should consider something else.
    Well, you can get by with a 700w. I did for 8 months. The main problem is that the opsys closes programs when there is less than 5mb of program memory available. So when you open some app and the opsys sees <5mb free it will close any other running apps to make room. This severely limits your multitasking capabilities.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I've been using the 700W with my Exchange Server since it first came out. For my purposes (e-mail, contacts, tasks, phone, browsing), it's been a great device. And you can't beat Verizon's data coverage. I know I've read where a Sprint user can roam for voice on Verizon's network, but it's that data part Verizon keeps to themselves. I can at least get 1x anywhere I've been. The only "tweek" I use is Oxios Hybernate. The newest version does a great job of releasing memory.

Heck, take advantage of Verizon's return policy and give it a try.
    No its not THAT bad, but your happiness with the device will be directly related to how you use it. I used the 700W for about 2 months before turning it in and cancelling Verizon (after 8 years) to get the Wx. For what I do and my usage, the W simply wasn't beefy enough to handle the load. Also the Verizon data plan was more expensive. Between the ebay sale of the 700W and the savings on the data plan alone, I will break even in a few months.

If you are an existing Verizon customer and are happy with their service and have no problem with the rate plan (basically double Sprints) AND are not a power user, meaning browsing, emails and mutliple programs running, then you will be fine with the 700w. If you have no qualms about switching services, then I would go with the 700WX simply because it overs more upside in performance and better pricing.

When asked last week what the difference was for me.. I replied if you want a phone that will handle some email and other activities (moderate usage), the 700W is a great device if you're an existing Verizon customer. If you want a truly multi-usage device, email etc and a phone, then the Wx is the way to go.

WX should be coming down in price soon, but its still pretty competitive for a first time subsriber on Sprint. The extra cash is a small price to pay for the added performance.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    No it's not bad at all. It *does* need some helper apps in order to keep the memory above acceptable levels. There are plenty of tip's to be found on this website. I love my 700W.
    I love my Treo 700w. I've had it for 8 months now. I'm an old school PPC fanatic. I used to do all kinds of power playing on my old iPaq. But the Treo 700w just can't do all the power skining, multitasking, mapping, and gaming that I'm used to. So I compromised.

The 700w is by far hands-down the BEST phone, email, internet PPC I've ever seen. While the 6700 and others have more power, nothing beats the 700w form factor, one-handedness and ease of use. I miss the custom appeareance I had (using Wisbar) and many of the games I used to play on my iPaq, but having Verizon's network at my fingertips is awesome.

I highly recommend PDANet as well for even more connectivity.
    I echo earlier comments. I love my 700w. I changed my optimization parameters in SKTools to "optimize for memory" from "performance", and most of my memory problems abated.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I was having a lot of the issues others are mentioning (i.e. not enough memory).

Over the first 2 months of ownership I had installed probably 25+ different applications to try them out and get a feel for what the device could do. Well, now I find out that about 3 of them are worth keeping (oxios hibernate, scott seligmans launcher today plugin, and skype).

So, I did a hard reset, installed only those I needed. Removed any remaining keys using mobile registry editor, and now my W is fast as hell. Has been for over 2 weeks. It can multi-task just fine.
    let me tell you...I run a load of apps on my treo 700w and it's functioning just fine. I originally had the treo when it launched....yes, it had problems. But I heard about the Palm 1.10 patch and decided to give it another whirl. Something about a Treo coupled with Windows makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Well, after the patch I can honestly say there is a major difference. I rarely have to reset my phone. I try and do it, however, every other day or so. Heck, you restart your PC or laptop when you have an error don't you? Why not take that same mentality and enjoy the Treo. I love the phone as it does so much...in fact....I'm sitting in a Starbucks sipping on a pumpkin spice frap connected via PDANET with my treo....I LOVE ME some Treo baby!!

Arc
    In caves all cats are gray...
    funny that i'm responding to this post. i just returned my sprint 700wx because i simply wasn't satisfied with the phone/data coverage in my area (los angeles county, just miles outside downtown). so i decided to pull the old treo 700w out of the drawer and have it re-provisioned. i also own a motorola q (verizon). the memory issue is a big thing for me as i run goodlink and it uses lots of memory which gets me close to the 5mb limit. for me that is sub-optimal but i don't want a 700p and the moto q is great but the op system is not nearly as robust as the 700w. i will say that the sprint 700wx is a god-send for those who need the add'l memory. anyhow, that's my story
    oalvarez-

Why not try the 700p with goodlink? or you run any Wm5 apps? We are mostly a goodlink shop here but I got a 700w and am just running activesync, it is great. Goodlink has some better interface options, is more refined, but the push email/contacts/calendar work great, just as fast as goodlink.
    the 700p doesn't address the memory issues, and even if it did, i'm not much for the POS. as for activesync, it is my understanding that it doesn't allow you to synch inbox SUBFOLDER's, and that is my need.
    It DOES deliver to subfolders but it does not pop up notification of emails in subfolders. You can get 3rd party apps to give notification.
    ^^ inbox subfolders? if so, please provide detailed instructions as to how to set that up...thanks in advance!
    In Messaging

Menu > Tools > Manage Folders and simply click the check box next to the folder you want to synchronize.

For example, I have Inbox > Notifications and 4 subfolders off of it. I synchronize 2 of them.

I have Inbox > Personal

I synchronize that.

Messages are moved, server side by rules into subfolders on delivery, and I get all of them in folders I've marked.
    and you have to have your desktop running at all times, correct? we have a goodlink server at work and i do like the Goodlink interface. but believe me, i will try it out for the sake of saving memory. what will be interesting is seeing how the battery reacts to the constant (i must have it this way) delivery of transmissions which can number well into the hundreds/hour in the first few hours of the day

thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaKow View Post
    It DOES deliver to subfolders but it does not pop up notification of emails in subfolders. You can get 3rd party apps to give notification.
    DaKow, which third party apps are you referring to? I'd be very interested in trying them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    and you have to have your desktop running at all times, correct? we have a goodlink server at work and i do like the Goodlink interface. but believe me, i will try it out for the sake of saving memory. what will be interesting is seeing how the battery reacts to the constant (i must have it this way) delivery of transmissions which can number well into the hundreds/hour in the first few hours of the day

thanks again!
    NO! The desktop has nothing to do with it. What DaKow is talking about I beleve is Exchange ActiveSync. As was noted, all of the rules take place on the server (Exchange server) and then it syncs to the Treo.