1.    #1  
    Has anyone had any experience with USBModem (www.mobile-stream.com) on WM5?

I have used PDANet 3.01 (www.junefabrics.com) for the Treo 600 (Palm) and had a lot of issues (svchost crashing). Now that I'm upgrading to the 700w, I'd like to consider USBModem in the hopes that it is a better/easier to use product. The bundle that includes USB mass storage makes it even more attractive.
    pdanet was really flaky for me (and there's no real support for mac users), so I'm using USB Modem without a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with USBModem (www.mobile-stream.com) on WM5?

I have used PDANet 3.01 (www.junefabrics.com) for the Treo 600 (Palm) and had a lot of issues (svchost crashing). Now that I'm upgrading to the 700w, I'd like to consider USBModem in the hopes that it is a better/easier to use product. The bundle that includes USB mass storage makes it even more attractive.
    I now have experience with both PDANet and USBModem. First I'd think long and hard before purchasing the 700w (I should have). I've had really bad experiences with it. Memory problems, sync problems, crashing problems. Aside from that though, if you are set on it, both of the programs (PDANet and USBModem) seem to work well, and both have a trial. I first started using PDANet, mainly for a lack of anything else. The only thing that I have noticed with PDANet is that the phone tends to disconnect often and required a soft reset. I am a Mac user, but was using the Treo with a windows laptop. I discovered that I could use PDANet (only via bluetooth) with my Mac laptop. However, since PDANet technically doesn't support the Mac, I had to find Modem scripts to make it work. I would still get frequent disconnects. This is when I discovered USBModem. For Mac users this works perfectly. They actually do support the Mac, and include a .cab file to install without using windows. Unlike PDANet, USBModem works via Bluetooth and USB for the Mac (which doesn't matter if you are a Windows user). It comes with specific Modem scripts for the Mac, and doesn't seem to disconnect as often, and when it does it doesn't require a reset of the Treo.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I continuously get a code 779 using PDAnet. ANYONE know why? I can not find anyplace or anyone for help.

Thanks.

wxman@flash.net
    I'm confused, here's my problem:
    I want to connect to the internet on my treo700p (without paying for data plan)

I tried using ppp, i can connect to my computer, showing and establishing a connection. I was only able to go to yahoo(1 time), but now it just keeps saying checking dns(Xiino is the browser that i'm using.)

I was messing around with PdaNet, but I think that this program is the opposite of what I want.

Will someone help to guide me a way to get internet on my phone(without a data plan) Thank-You.
    So USBmodem is $10 cheaper, uses USB modem drivers rather than some crazy activesync overlay and has a fraction of the footprint of PDANet.

What are the arguments for using PDAnet again?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I continuously get a code 779 using PDAnet. ANYONE know why? I can not find anyplace or anyone for help.

Thanks.

wxman@flash.net
    I get the same error code and a search doesn't find anything other than this post. Any help?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hi I have the treo 755p for Verizon. I have the unlimited data plan for regular internet access on my phone (I don't believe this includes to my computer-from-my-phone). I've heard a lot of people on forums talk about being scared with getting caught tethering internet access illegally through PDAnet and/or USBModem, is this true?

1) Do I need a separate data plan to utilize USBModem/PDAnet without being charged from Verizon, such as a "PDA as modem" (PAM) plan?

2) Does USBModem use my airtime minutes or pull from my "regular" [not "PDA as Modem" (PAM)] data plan?

3) What are the financial risks with using USBModem? Is this illegal under Verizon's rules? And if so, have people been caught and what are the penalties? I read somewhere that its possible to receive an outrageous bill, again, is this true?

Hope someone can answer all my questions with thorough clear straight answers. Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rchan326 View Post
    Hi I have the treo 755p for Verizon. I have the unlimited data plan for regular internet access on my phone (I don't believe this includes to my computer-from-my-phone). I've heard a lot of people on forums talk about being scared with getting caught tethering internet access illegally through PDAnet and/or USBModem, is this true?

1) Do I need a separate data plan to utilize USBModem/PDAnet without being charged from Verizon, such as a "PDA as modem" (PAM) plan?

2) Does USBModem use my airtime minutes or pull from my "regular" [not "PDA as Modem" (PAM)] data plan?

3) What are the financial risks with using USBModem? Is this illegal under Verizon's rules? And if so, have people been caught and what are the penalties? I read somewhere that its possible to receive an outrageous bill, again, is this true?

Hope someone can answer all my questions with thorough clear straight answers. Thanks in advance!

I have Sprint and many of the issues I used to have with PDANet, back in 2006, don't exist anymore. The reset problems have gone away as well as the constant disconnects. Since I have Sprint and have unlimited internet I don't need a seperate data plan, nor are any airtime minutes used and I've never been charged for going over the supposedly 5GB limit.
    back in 2006, don't exist anymore
    I think that it is time question only to find it...
    HostV - VPS Hosting - http://www.hostv.com
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So which program is better? PDAnet or USBModem? are there any advantages of using PDAnet over USBModem? all that I have gathered is that PDAnet does not support MACs (not a problem for me since I am a windows freak) and that USBModem does not require a program to be installed on the computer to run with your smartphone, as does PDAnet. My biggest question is if there are any security differences between the two programs. I've e-mailed both companies and they both claim the system is pretty secure and undetectable but obviously both programs execute in different ways. It seems USBmodem is more convenient to use but which one do you all suggest purchasing?
    The biggest difference IMHO is the proxy mode available in PDANet. This is nice because I can use PDANet while I'm connected to another network.
    The biggest difference is installation and configuration.

I took one look at the installation instructions for USBModem, gave up, and deleted it. FYI, I'm a career network engineer of about 15 years -- so that's saying something. They were talking about needing a dial number, username, and password. How am I supposed to know what these are? Call up Sprint and say, "Hi, I'm trying to bypass your overpriced PAM service, and need to know the following information to do it..." The documentation says I need to get this information from the "wireless operator". Something tells me that won't be happening.

PDANet simply installed and immediately worked. I didn't have to setup a new internet or modem connection on the PC, I didn't have to do anything on the Treo side either, and most importantly I didn't have to call Sprint to ask them for any information about "hacking" their PAM system. It just works from the first install.

To me, even though I'm a techie, the extra $10 is worth it. The days of of finding hacking up my own home systems interesting were over a long time ago -- I get enough of that at work. At home I just want everything to work when I need it. USBModem failed that requirement from the moment I unzipped the download. If I'm going to have to work that much to get a wireless modem solution through my Treo, I'm not going to pay $24 to do it -- I'd just go read up on the free hack and follow all those directions.

If you're using a Mac (which would be your fault....haha), use the free hack. It's just as much trouble as USBModem to install/configure, so why not save the $24? If you're using a PC, get PDANet and forget about it -- you're done and working, and in slick fashion.
    Chris
    My thoughts on NVFS:
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I am using PDA net with the 800W I can receive emails just like I would on my home network but I can't send them. The network does not recognize me. How do I would I be able to use my email while tethered with pda to act just like my home network.
    Quote Originally Posted by InternetPilot View Post
    The biggest difference is installation and configuration.

I took one look at the installation instructions for USBModem, gave up, and deleted it. FYI, I'm a career network engineer of about 15 years -- so that's saying something. They were talking about needing a dial number, username, and password. How am I supposed to know what these are? Call up Sprint and say, "Hi, I'm trying to bypass your overpriced PAM service, and need to know the following information to do it..." The documentation says I need to get this information from the "wireless operator". Something tells me that won't be happening.

PDANet simply installed and immediately worked. I didn't have to setup a new internet or modem connection on the PC, I didn't have to do anything on the Treo side either, and most importantly I didn't have to call Sprint to ask them for any information about "hacking" their PAM system. It just works from the first install.

To me, even though I'm a techie, the extra $10 is worth it. The days of of finding hacking up my own home systems interesting were over a long time ago -- I get enough of that at work. At home I just want everything to work when I need it. USBModem failed that requirement from the moment I unzipped the download. If I'm going to have to work that much to get a wireless modem solution through my Treo, I'm not going to pay $24 to do it -- I'd just go read up on the free hack and follow all those directions.

If you're using a Mac (which would be your fault....haha), use the free hack. It's just as much trouble as USBModem to install/configure, so why not save the $24? If you're using a PC, get PDANet and forget about it -- you're done and working, and in slick fashion.
    Did you even attempt to try using USB Modem? I've tried both and didn't have any problems. FYI for Sprint you don't need to call them for anything. You can log on using USB Modem after installing the modem drivers without using a username or password. Just have it dial #777. In fact, you can setup the DUN connection to not prompt you for the username and password. I made it match all the settings for PDANet since it connects the same way. The only difference is USB Modem requires a USB modem driver and PDANet uses ActiveSync to interface with the computer. I consider myself a techie too but for someone that has 15 years of experience and works as a Network Engineer, I thought you would at least try a little harder before making false assumptions about a program.

You can save 20% on PDA Net or USB Modem by purchasing it from http://www.everythingq.com When you sign up as a new member they give you a coupon code valid for 20% off all software titles excluding accessories. The current coupon code is 'everything.'
    Last edited by dontbugme; 09/12/2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Discount
    Quote Originally Posted by dontbugme View Post
    Did you even attempt to try using USB Modem? I've tried both and didn't have any problems. FYI for Sprint you don't need to call them for anything. You can log on using USB Modem after installing the modem drivers without using a username or password. Just have it dial #777. In fact, you can setup the DUN connection to not prompt you for the username and password. I made it match all the settings for PDANet since it connects the same way. The only difference is USB Modem requires a USB modem driver and PDANet uses ActiveSync to interface with the computer. I consider myself a techie too but for someone that has 15 years of experience and works as a Network Engineer, I thought you would at least try a little harder before making false assumptions about a program.

You can save 20% on PDA Net or USB Modem by purchasing it from http://www.everythingq.com When you sign up as a new member they give you a coupon code valid for 20% off all software titles excluding accessories. The current coupon code is 'everything.'

Can you please Explain this part to me.
    I have been trying to install USB Modem for weeks now.
    I gave up for a little bit then came back and still nothing.

This is what happens when I try to install USB Modem

When I go to "Enable Modem Mode"
    It disconnects me from my phones internet.
    I then press "Disable Modem Mode"
    and try connecting to my network and then I get this message:

Error: can not connect to the internet because a dial-up network session is active. End the DUN session and try again.

I read the pdf file and when I did my inital setup through my PC
    I clicked the wrong option on the setup wizard.

So I tried un/re installing it on my 755, and i wasn't able to get the setup wizard to pop-up on my pc... saying that it was searching for my device.
    * I don't know if this has anything to do with anything*

Please help
    Sorry to revive this old thread.

I have been using pdaNet for about a year with increasing frustration. Lately, almost every three minutes, it either disconnects or freezes my Treo 755p requiring a soft reset. Tonight, I deleted pdaNet and installed USB Modem (delete and install took less than 5 minutes, contrary to above posts.) I have been online for over 1 hour without a single disconnect or reset. I have not noticed any difference in speed.

My only concern is that I have read over at Brighthand that pdaNet masks my tethering while USB Modem does not. Can anyone confirm or deny this? While USB Modem is clearly better for me, having Alltel know I'm tethering would be a deal breaker!

bk