webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps > Frozen Treo 700wx / Zero Out Reset / ##786# / Hard Reset
Frozen Treo 700wx / Zero Out Reset / ##786# / Hard Reset

Old 09/14/2006, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello all.

My Palm Treo 700wx (Sprint) is frozen. Here's what happened:

I had a PPC 6700 before and the way to reset it was to dial ##786# then enter your MSL code. I just got a storage card for my Treo 700wx and so wanted to hard reset it in order to reinstall everything fresh with most programs on the SD card (yes this may not have been necessary, but this is what I did nonetheless). So, without properly finding out that the proper way to reset a Treo 700wx is to hold the power off then press the reset button with the stylus, I proceeded to dial ##786# and the under options press "reset." It said something about "RTN antennae reset" or something like that. I clicked yes and entered my MSL code. The Treo reboots and displays the Treo screen. There is no status bar. Nothing changes. Clicking the screen does nothing. The only change that can be made is if you hold the power button and press the reset button with the Stylus. It will then ask if you want to proceed with the hard reset and erase all data. However, afterwards nothing changes. The Treo screen stays.

I have tried taking the battery out. I have soft reset. I have hard reset. Nothing does ANYTHING.

I'm going to take it to a sprint service tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

A google search for 700w and Zero Out Reset seems to indicate there isn't much information on this topic out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
inayat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2006, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inayat View Post
Hello all.

My Palm Treo 700wx (Sprint) is frozen. Here's what happened:

I had a PPC 6700 before and the way to reset it was to dial ##786# then enter your MSL code. I just got a storage card for my Treo 700wx and so wanted to hard reset it in order to reinstall everything fresh with most programs on the SD card (yes this may not have been necessary, but this is what I did nonetheless). So, without properly finding out that the proper way to reset a Treo 700wx is to hold the power off then press the reset button with the stylus, I proceeded to dial ##786# and the under options press "reset." It said something about "RTN antennae reset" or something like that. I clicked yes and entered my MSL code. The Treo reboots and displays the Treo screen. There is no status bar. Nothing changes. Clicking the screen does nothing. The only change that can be made is if you hold the power button and press the reset button with the Stylus. It will then ask if you want to proceed with the hard reset and erase all data. However, afterwards nothing changes. The Treo screen stays.

I have tried taking the battery out. I have soft reset. I have hard reset. Nothing does ANYTHING.

I'm going to take it to a sprint service tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

A google search for 700w and Zero Out Reset seems to indicate there isn't much information on this topic out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
It happened to me too. It's not bricked...although it seems like it. Just let it stay at that treo screen for like 5-10 minutes. It will then boot up and take you to the initail set-up.
dpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2006, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Right.

That seems reasonable and I came across similar information about that. I now know that it was reformatting and overwriting the existing data which takes about 10 minutes.

At the time, however, I didn't know that. So, at the time, I performed a soft reset. I took the battery out. In other words, I interrupted it's reformatting. So, now when it turns on, it just sits there. It has been sitting there with that Treo screen for 40 minutes and nothing has changed. I am afraid my ignorant interruption of what it was doing has messed my device up and now I don't know what to do.

I know with the Treo 650, you can initiate a Zero out reset physically by pressing the up + power off + hotsync + stylus button reset. Is there any way to do this on the 700wx? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much.
Old 09/15/2006, 03:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

haha, you are such a geek!

you can still do the standard Palm hard reset, one of the great things about a WM Treo.
ahalvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2006, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

just so you know. I,ve done this on the wx and founf it really wasn't any longer than the hard reset boot time.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2006, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think I have a brick here.

I take the battery out for an hour, I put it back in. The power button doesn't function, and it immediately turns on and cuts to the frozen Treo screen. I get the hard reset prompt when I hold the off key and press the reset button with the stylus, I press "up" to erase all data, but it does nothing, only a 1/10 second flicker and then the frozen Treo screen indefinitely.

I don't think there is a Zero Out Reset on this phone that can be initiated by an acrobatic manual pressing of 4 keys, or at least it is not the same as the Treo 650 procedure as I have tried and tried with no result.

Plugging it into the USB does nothing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, but I think I have a brick. To the Sprint store I go tomorrow, unless anyone else has any brilliant suggestions . . .
Old 09/15/2006, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would also take it back at this point. I hard reset mine and it didn't behave anything like that...
Quinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2006, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inayat View Post
Right.

That seems reasonable and I came across similar information about that. I now know that it was reformatting and overwriting the existing data which takes about 10 minutes.

At the time, however, I didn't know that. So, at the time, I performed a soft reset. I took the battery out. In other words, I interrupted it's reformatting. So, now when it turns on, it just sits there. It has been sitting there with that Treo screen for 40 minutes and nothing has changed. I am afraid my ignorant interruption of what it was doing has messed my device up and now I don't know what to do.

I know with the Treo 650, you can initiate a Zero out reset physically by pressing the up + power off + hotsync + stylus button reset. Is there any way to do this on the 700wx? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much.

Press and hold the power button then do a soft reset(while still holding power). Let every thing go ( except the treo ). Press the up buttton...wait 5-10 more minutes. Hope this works for ya. I had the same problem and I thought it was bricked nut then I did that.
dpierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0