Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So, I'm trying to get iTunes Agent to recognize my 700w, or rather to recognize the storage card in it. The problem is that in "My Computer", the treo does not appear with a drive letter - it is only listed as "Myobile Device". This appears to be a quirk of active sync (using v4.2).

Is there any way to make the treo appear as a drive letter? That way I could sppecify a directory relative to the root, and iTA would recognize it and allow syncing? I don't want to do this by removing the SD card and shoving it in a card reader to synchronize.

Does anyone know if any of the commercial/free "turn your treo into a card reader" softwares can do this, and make your treo show up as E: or F: for example?
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    So, I'm trying to get iTunes Agent to recognize my 700w, or rather to recognize the storage card in it. The problem is that in "My Computer", the treo does not appear with a drive letter - it is only listed as "Myobile Device". This appears to be a quirk of active sync (using v4.2).

Is there any way to make the treo appear as a drive letter? That way I could sppecify a directory relative to the root, and iTA would recognize it and allow syncing? I don't want to do this by removing the SD card and shoving it in a card reader to synchronize.

Does anyone know if any of the commercial/free "turn your treo into a card reader" softwares can do this, and make your treo show up as E: or F: for example?
    This is the way it's supposed to work. There are programs (I've seen at least one discussed here) that will turn it into a readable drive, but this comes at the expense of syncing I believe. Try the search function.
    What's an iTunes agent? iTunes recognizes the mounted device? Sorry I'm on the Palm OS side, I'm not familiar with this.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/

Try this one. I used it quite a bit on my ipaq, but I haven't found the need on my treo yet. I'm too busy lately to be loading and unloading data.

Good luck.

Just for my info. I didn't think you could play itunes on a PPC. How do you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post

Try this one. I used it quite a bit on my ipaq, but I haven't found the need on my treo yet. I'm too busy lately to be loading and unloading data.

Good luck.

Just for my info. I didn't think you could play itunes on a PPC. How do you do that?
    My understanding is that you can play anything that you burned, but not things that you bought through iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    My understanding is that you can play anything that you burned, but not things that you bought through iTunes.
    Actually if, you buy a song(s) then burn them to a CD and then import them back into iTunes as MP3 files, it strips out the fairplay protection.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The core pocket media player (Google for TCPMP) has a plug-in that will play AAC files (.m4a). Unfortunately it will not play protected tunes bought through the iTunes music store (.m4p). For this, you need to do as obiwan says, and strip out the DRM. Since the iTunes downloads are not encoded at a very high bitrate/quality anyway, you're not really losing anything by burning to CD then back again. I will try softick and report back - is it free?
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    Actually if, you buy a song(s) then burn them to a CD and then import them back into iTunes as MP3 files, it strips out the fairplay protection.
    Except that's not what you legally agreed to when you purchased it through iTunes. That's stealing any way you cut it .
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=hotrod;1085267]http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/

--------------
    I've been using Softick on my W for a couple of months now and it works as advertised. Just moved a couple of episodes of the Office over last night.

It's also just a matter of switching between AS and Card Export.

Very easy to use.

D
    [QUOTE=Souljer;1085842]
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post

--------------
    I've been using Softick on my W for a couple of months now and it works as advertised. Just moved a couple of episodes of the Office over last night.

It's also just a matter of switching between AS and Card Export.

Very easy to use.

D
    Neat program.
    Anyway to get rid of the icon taking up a whole row on the today screen? It seems as though it has to be always running and the only way to access it is through the today screen. No icon in programs folder? If I shut it down via the task manager the only way to get it going again seems to be by reseting.
    That's stealing any way you cut it .
    It's not stealing any way you cut it. What obiwan is describing may be a violation of the terms of service, which could lead to termination of service, but it is no way criminal.

Using that method to redistribute the files may be a violation of copyright, but it is still not the same as stealing. Regardless, no one is suggesting that the files be redistributed.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii View Post
    It's not stealing any way you cut it. What obiwan is describing may be a violation of the terms of service, which could lead to termination of service, but it is no way criminal.

Using that method to redistribute the files may be a violation of copyright, but it is still not the same as stealing. Regardless, no one is suggesting that the files be redistributed.
    I'm aware of that, but you understand my point. When a person removes an item put in place to specifically be able to avoid something the artist and the destributor put in place to protect IP, there's no denying what's happening.
    The practicallity is that anyone that needs to burn more than 7 copies is distributing, and those individuals were aware of those limitations when purchasing. If they don't like it, they should pay more for the file for unlimited use.
    The fact is that once these people spend money on something they think it's theirs to do with as they wish, and that's simply not the case. ...and the reason that 90% of the stripping is done (yes I made that stat up) is so that the files can be shared/distributed, not so a power user can put an iTune file on a WM Treo
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 09/15/2006 at 12:46 PM.
    I'm aware of that, but you understand my point. When a person removes an item put in place to specifically be able to avoid something the artist and the destributor put in place to protect IP, there's no denying what's happening.
    What's happening is exercising fair use rights. The artist, by the way, rarely has any input into DRM. That is all up to the recording companies.

The practicallity is that anyone that needs to burn more than 7 copies is distributing
    I don't know where this 7 copies stuff came from, but again this thread is not about piracy or copyright violation. It's about putting files on a WM5 device.

and those individuals were aware of those limitations when purchasing. If they don't like it, they should pay more for the file for unlimited use.
    Should they? Says who?

I agree that if you want the flexibility to use files in WM5, on MP3 players, in your car, etc that you should look for non-DRM restricted solution, but that's for convenience and audio quality. If, however, the OP has already purchased the rights to a piece of iTunes media, there is nothing wrong with putting copies on his or her own devices for personal use. Fair use promises the user that right. It is for this very reason that Apple is fighting legal battles around the globe for putting in place technical restrictions that violate the almost universally held principles of fair use.

The fact is that once these people spend money on something they think it's theirs to do with as they wish, and that's simply not the case.
    Within certain restrictions as defined by decades of copyright law, yes it is the case.

...and the reason that 90% of the stripping is done (yes I made that stat up) is so that the files can be shared/distributed, not so a power user can put an iTune file on a WM Treo
    This is completely irrelevant. As you admitted, your stat is invented, and furthermore, we are dealing with a power user with legitimate intentions so this is all meaningless.

I'd be happy to continue this debate in another thread or by email / PM. You sound like a reasonably savvy individual and I do have a personal mission to spread enlightenment on the subject of copyright and IP whenever I can ...
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=littlewaywelt;1085895]
    Quote Originally Posted by Souljer View Post
    Neat program.
    Anyway to get rid of the icon taking up a whole row on the today screen? It seems as though it has to be always running and the only way to access it is through the today screen. No icon in programs folder? If I shut it down via the task manager the only way to get it going again seems to be by reseting.
    Hey Little,
    If you use your stylus and click the actual image, you can turn it on and off; toggling between it and AS.

D
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So, I tried Softick Card Export II. It works just fine on the 700w - does exactly what it says on the box, and makes your storage card appear as a regular USB drive in the "my computer" window in XP. iTunes agent can then recognize it, and synchronize your music files to it, so you can use the Treo as an iPod.

BUT... (and this is a big one)... CardExport II needs to run in the background, and acts like a today screen plugin. It takes up a lot of screen real estate with its icon/row at the bottom. There is no way to quit the program. There is nowhere I can actually find the program itself (there is no .exe file anywhere). And, if you do quit it from the memory management screen, there's no way to re-launch it other than do a soft reset.

On a devie that is already short of memory (700W) and screen real-estate, this is simply not good enough.

So, are there other (preferably free) versions of Softick Card Export II that do the same thing, but just allow you to run an .exe and choose AS/USB before you plug in your device to the computer?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Goto it to work satisfactorily...

Using this link here..http://www.modaco.com/WM5torage-t238545.html you can doownload a free program that is basically the same as Card Export II, but does not run resident in the memory and use up valuable today screen real estate.

Combining this with iTunes agent, it is now possible to sync' the 700w with iTunes. Add in TCPMP with AAC plugin and your 700W is an iPod, all for free!
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    Goto it to work satisfactorily...

Using this link here..http://www.modaco.com/WM5torage-t238545.html you can doownload a free program that is basically the same as Card Export II, but does not run resident in the memory and use up valuable today screen real estate.

Combining this with iTunes agent, it is now possible to sync' the 700w with iTunes. Add in TCPMP with AAC plugin and your 700W is an iPod, all for free!
    No way so you are telling me that the treo appears in Itunes as an MP3 player and we can sync just like an IPOD?

Sweet.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Hey I tried to download the file, but was unsuccessful. Am I doing something wrong? Can you post it on this thread?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    You have to register with the website to download it. Dont' know if I have the rights to post it here (and I don't know how anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by blile View Post
    No way so you are telling me that the treo appears in Itunes as an MP3 player and we can sync just like an IPOD?

Sweet.
    It appears as a drive.
    You simply drag the files (only non-protected) from iTunes into a folder on your card and everything just plays with windows media player. No plugins required.
    It's very easy to use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast