1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was playing with a friends Treo, installed PDAnet & it shared internet quite well. I think it makes a very suitable backup internet device. I was curious though, if I install it on my Treo, can I install the desktop connection software on multiple PC's of mine?

Are there any windows XP based services that need to run (I like keeping my taskbar / start up items light weight).

Thanks,
    Rich
    it will work on different machines, but the device itself must be the one the software is written for and the hot sync id matches.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein View Post
    I was curious though, if I install it on my Treo, can I install the desktop connection software on multiple PC's of mine?
    According to the Junefabrics FAQs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Junefabrics
    If I only purchase one copy of PdaNet, can I install it on multiple machines?

Although the license agreement mentions that one license only apply to one machine, we do allow you to install the Desktop part of PdaNet on multiple PCs, given that you only install the device part of the software on one Smartphone. That is, you can use one device to connect to as many computers as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein
    Are there any windows XP based services that need to run (I like keeping my taskbar / start up items light weight).
    Only the PDANet host for the PC. You can easily start and stop it as you desire.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    it will work on different machines, but the device itself must be the one the software is written for and the hot sync id matches.

Ben
    Hrmm, I just use the default ID (I dont change the Treo name). Also, At the moment, I do not use active sync (except as a guest account & only for transfering files). Do I need to have an active sync account where I am syncing?

Can I just use PDA net with a guest account on the windows PC? I wouldnt want to use the 700w as a modem for my office laptop while on the road if it meant syncing up all the data.

So, do you need a standard partnership in order for PDA net to work right?
    I use the BT DUN feature of PDAnet and it works great!! No cables nor ActiveSync!

If your computer is able..
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I installed pdanet and it works great for wired connection. For the bluetooth one it works for a couple of minutes and the treo freezes and I have to do a soft reset. Anyone else having similar problem/solution.
    Mine froze the exact same way. I had a $25 Belkin Bluetooth adapter hanging off my laptop and the bluetooth was very buggy exhibiting the same freeze-ups after a few mins of use, especially if I was downloading a file. The USB cable worked like a charm and I was downloading around 75 kb/sec. Had it connected for hours with no problems, even streaming TV from home machine.
  8.    #8  
    So, do you need to have a dedicated partnership on the PC in question or can you use PDAnet with a guest account?
    I have built in bluetooth in my new Dell m1210 and get an average 115kbps.

After setting up the partnership, all I have to do is right click on the PDAnet system tray icon and click on "Connect Bluetooth DUN" at the bottom of the menu. It connects to the Treo and all is cool

I can't answer for things like guest account as I don't share someone elses computer.. I might try it just for chits and grins
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein View Post
    So, do you need to have a dedicated partnership on the PC in question or can you use PDAnet with a guest account?
    No - guest mode works just fine.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I have built in bluetooth in my new Dell m1210 and get an average 115kbps.

After setting up the partnership, all I have to do is right click on the PDAnet system tray icon and click on "Connect Bluetooth DUN" at the bottom of the menu. It connects to the Treo and all is cool

I can't answer for things like guest account as I don't share someone elses computer.. I might try it just for chits and grins
    Did you get a core 2 duo chip in the m1210? I have been thinking about buying a new laptop for a while, but I want the core 2 duo (merom chip) but I think i want a DX10 video card for Vista, but of course, nothings out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    No - guest mode works just fine.
    Awesome! Just what I was looking to hear!
  12.    #12  
    Oh, one other thing, does PDA slow the Treo down at all when not in use? My 700w's low memory is pretty sad indeed.
    I had PDAnet running on my 700w for months and didn't notice any slowdown of the Treo.