Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Traded in Palm wi-fi card for Ambicom (rev. 2.5). Ambicom definitely is a better signal-grabber and I've only seen the "low memory" error once... Couple of Q's, though:

1. I'm still seeing the Palm wi-fi warning. Is this canned into the OS, or a vestige of having used the Palm SDIO card?

2. I'm seeing a "Wi-Fi SDIO Card" listed in the network adapters list (as well as the Ambicom). Again, a vestige of using the Palm card?

Don't wanna hard-reset just to find out

TIA,
    Todd/Indy
    I got an ambicom wifi card today. I am geting that wifi warning a lot, it keeps telling me that I should turn off my phone, even though it is. It's definitely not because you used a Palm card, I haven't and I get the same warning. Having WiFi is so great to have with my 700wx. Do'nt hard reset.

It gets a little annoying getting the not enough memory to be able to use the card. I removed some apps I don't use, and this seems to have taken care of that issue.
    Jimmie Geddes
  3.    #3  
    Thanks... how 'bout the network cards list?

Todd/Indy
  4.    #4  
    BTW I'm using the beta WM5 driver.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I got an ambicom wifi card today. I am geting that wifi warning a lot, it keeps telling me that I should turn off my phone, even though it is. It's definitely not because you used a Palm card, I haven't and I get the same warning. Having WiFi is so great to have with my 700wx. Do'nt hard reset.

It gets a little annoying getting the not enough memory to be able to use the card. I removed some apps I don't use, and this seems to have taken care of that issue.
    Not enough memory? Good lord! How can the wx not have enough memory when the 700w does?
    I suspect the actual error is "not enough driver memory" which is an old wm2003se error. When you have this error next time, try this: instead of soft resetting, bring up the onscreen keyboard and dismiss it. Then try the wifi card again, and let me know if it works or not.

Surur
    Thanks for the tip Surur. I haven't gotten that message again, but it's the message you quoted "not enough driver memory". I'll let you guys know if it works, I have a feeling it'll work.

Now I'll reinstall some of the apps I quickly removed,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Anyone try the spectec card yet? It's like half the size of all the others.

http://palmtops.about.com/od/pocketp.../gr/SDW820.htm
    I actually got a spectec card off of ebay pretty cheap.....I'll let you know how it goes once I receive it.
    I received my Spectec card (802.11g) from eBay today. Installed the .CAB from the website, plugged in the card, and easily enough, it started working. I haven't tried WEP/WPA yet. Everything else appears to be working fine. Just tried web browsing, streaming video, and using Skype.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i wonder if the spectec or ambicon is any better. i purchased a palm wifi card because its stable. i purchased a socket e-300 wifi card and i could not connect WEP/WPA, but it was FAST! faster than my palm wifi sdio card.
    Just ordred the Spectec card on Amazon for $39.49 plus shipping $4.99. Bout the same price as Ebay without the work.
    Hope this card works well.

http://www.amazon.com/SPECTEC-SDIO-W...bosnation0e-20
    Quote Originally Posted by denik View Post
    I received my Spectec card (802.11g) from eBay today. Installed the .CAB from the website, plugged in the card, and easily enough, it started working. I haven't tried WEP/WPA yet. Everything else appears to be working fine. Just tried web browsing, streaming video, and using Skype.
    Any updates?
    Just received my Spectec wireless card today. It works seamlessly.....I just installed the drivers and then popped in the card. Recognized the card right away and worked great. Speeds are really nice....slowest I tested at was 851 KB and the rest were all faster. For the rpice, I definately recommend the card. Let me know if you have nay questions.....
    It's so GREAT having WIFI with a Treo, as per Cody's recommendation I picked up the ambicom card at compusa which had it on clearance for I think $50, and it works great. The slowest speed I've gotten in 906 kbit/sec, this thing flies. I can finally say that I love my 700wx more than my 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    In case anyone wants to know what it looks like with the 700wx... (matches the color of the Treo wx and with a very low profile!!)

Ambicom with 700wx and Seidio Crystal Case

-Oly
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    Yea, the Ambicom was a great find, it doesn't stick out much and like you said it matches the 700wx nicely, an added bonus.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Forgot to thank and give credit to Cody and Jimmie for the find and recommendation!! You guys are the reason my pocket book got smaller yet my Treo got more functional!! (maybe also saving me from buying and return the Palm wifi SD version)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    Cody deserves the credit I went on a mission to find the ambicom card, I found one compusa in my area had one in stock. I had called a few and no one had them in, none even had the Palm WIFI card, they said it's now only available through their website. The compusa I got my ambicom in had one Palm card for $80. It's so awesome having wifi on a Treo
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by dalexiou View Post
    Just received my Spectec wireless card today. It works seamlessly.....I just installed the drivers and then popped in the card. Recognized the card right away and worked great. Speeds are really nice....slowest I tested at was 851 KB and the rest were all faster. For the rpice, I definately recommend the card. Let me know if you have nay questions.....
    Thanks for the heads up... couple of questions..how far does it stick out? Second, does it give you any pop-up warnings? And how is the battery life? Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast