Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Not sure if anyone has seen this, but Sprint announced a new WM5 device today. It looks like VZ's I730, but it's WM5.

I carry two phones, one unlocked Nokia GSM phone (also a Smartphone), and a Treo 700Wx (just came from a PPC 6700). Previously I had a Treo 600 and Treo 650.

The 700Wx will still be within return time when the Samsung comes out. The Samsung boasts a faster processor, larger screen, slide out keyboard and the ability to roam internationally with dual band GSM.

It's regular battery is smaller than the treo's though.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the VZ offerings, and prefers the Treo and their reasoning.

I love the extended functionality of the treo vs the PPC 6700. I wanted to chuck that phone into the wall every day, pretty much. Now I feel calm and relaxed.

I think the extra memory helps, which is what scares me about the Samsung (back to 64 MB of RAM).

Any thoughts?
    I posted all the specs and pics on the i830w earlier today here:

i830w Officially announced by Sprint
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks Hobbes. I saw those specs. Not having any personal experience, though, I don't know how they translate to in hand experience. At first glance, I should be returning the 700wx to get this one, based on CPU speed alone, but that doesn't always tell the story.

In the case of the treo, a lot of the UI improvements made by Palm make WM5 a lot easier to digest. If the treo 700wx were just WM5 in a Treo formfactor, I would own a 700p for simplicity (and Chatter, of course).
    Both have 64 MB RAM, but the Treo is probably more optimized.

Surur
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I thought the treo had 128mb of memory?
    Wow aku 2.6? Verizon only has 2.2 on the i730. Those guys over in the i730 forum must be going nuts!

This phone does NOT have 32MB RAM. The ram is either equal to, or more than, the 700wx. This device has 64MB internal memory and 32MB "safestore" which is an extra storage drive inside the device independent of the "C drive." You can download all of your apps to safestore and not worry about the sleep/storage card issues. And if you do a hard reset safestore is maintained. You do have the option of formatting the drive in the Settings menu, so don't worry about that.

Most people who have a 730 SWEAR by it. Personally, I hated the fact that it didn't have a camera, and the OS was very bare. No customizations at all. The device has a "lock" switch, and WM didn't agree with it. How negligent is that???

But now, this wm device is shipping with aku 2.6, which tells me that Samsung took the time to make adjustments on their end before releasing the i830 with wm5. You learn from your mistakes, like Palm did with the 700w I guess. This device will rock, I am sure, but still no camera! Can't be perfect!!
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    I thought the treo had 128mb of memory?

128 MB Flash, not SDRAM.

It will take many years for this confusion to go away. I blame Palm of course

Surur
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    One thing to keep in mind, for those like me considering the IP-830W...

Sprint currently offers international roaming voice services via GSM at a whopping $1.50/ minute.

They do NOT have a roaming DATA agreement in place, so your PDA will actually be useless (unless you are just playing games or working with existing information) while you are abroad. Of course, you could buy a local GSM sim and take advantage of their network, just not Sprint's...

Sprint currently offers international roaming voice services via GSM at a whopping $1.50/ minute.

They do NOT have a roaming DATA agreement in place, so your PDA will actually be useless (unless you are just playing games or working with existing information) while you are abroad. Of course, you could buy a local GSM sim and take advantage of their network, just not Sprint's...
    Grrr... Does anyone know if the GSM portion is locked to a Sprint GSM? Can I purchase a pre-paid card in London and use that?

The more I think about this, the more I'm tempted to get a WiFi card with a wx and just live with not having cell access on the few occassions I travel outside the US.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Can anyone please help me ? I lost my password sheet from my usb drive that i kept for my phone. I cant log into my phone now becuase when i turn it on it asked for a password.. I checked the manual but it doesnt mention anything about doing a hard reset to factor settings. Can anyone help me please ?

Henry,
    iitolustii@aol.com
    Here's what the print spec sheet said about memory on the samsung

Memory
    RAM: PDA: 64MB / Phone: 32MB ; ROM: PDA: 128 MB / Phone 32MB
    No more Tilt for me came back and got the Treo Pro.
    a buddy at work has the i830. it's cool and all, the best of both worlds as I like to say (320x240 pocket pc screen, and treo-style keyboard, although it does slide, but sliding the way it does is better than landscape-sliding.) With that said, I would not trade my wx for one. The screen and colors looks like my old ipaq 3760 (washed out colors, not vibrant).

I have a 700wx.

I was quoted $1.29/minute for roaming in Belgium and the U.K. and something like $2.49/minute or $2.99/minute (I forget which) for the UAE.

I asked if data roaming was possible and Sprint said yes, but named a preposterous price.

The few reviews I have seen for the IP-830W were not so hot on it for phone calls--voice quality etc. Of course I can't put my hands on these so take this as hot air from someone who did a Google search once.

Sprint will send me a SIM. I will use a 750 overseas with my Sprint SIM. I also have a T-Mobile account (cheap to add a line on a family plan with my wife, so it is useful for roaming). I could use the T-Mobile SIM, I guess. T-Mobile didn't hammer me too badly last time I was in Switzerland using my 650 for voice and email. I deeply resented the spam I was downloading and paying for, however!

For the UAE I plan to get a prepaid SIM -- FREE incoming calls, outbound $0.55. http://www.telestial.com/view_produc...T_ID=MSIM-EX01
    I don't know why folks bother with such ridiculous devices. It is cheaper to get an unlocked GSM phone insanely cheap off eBay or road-side cell phone shacks and use prepaid SIMs in the country of your travels. The rates are local and way cheaper than the "convenience" of paying insane roaming charges from the States.

When i go to Europe, i take along a Sony Erisccon T68, that i've had for several years now and purchased for fifty bucks, get a prepaid SIM from the local carriers.
    I already have a PDA with wifi that's more functional, so when i get the chance, i "Skype".
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TOLUST View Post
    Can anyone please help me ? I lost my password sheet from my usb drive that i kept for my phone. I cant log into my phone now becuase when i turn it on it asked for a password.. I checked the manual but it doesnt mention anything about doing a hard reset to factor settings. Can anyone help me please ?

Henry,
    iitolustii@aol.com
    To do a real hard reset, hold the power slider down and at the same time hold down the left soft-key (the one above the key with an envelope icon on it). While holding those two down, press and release the reset button.