Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What were they thinking using rubberized paint... Anyone remember the problems they had with the blue Zire72 and peeling rubber paint?
    So, you actually tried the 750v? I wouldn't comment on the physical build quality if I had never even touched one. Rubberized paint by itself is neither good nor bad, it depends on how well a job they did. Until you touch one, its impossible to say.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Does the Blacktie have rubberized paint, how has it been holding up?
    Just call me Berd.
    Well hopefully they learned their lesson and applied the paint better. They can't afford a recall or bad publicity, considering those 2 reports about losing revenue.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The BlackTie does have the second gen of that paint and it is quite nice. It actually hold fingerprints kinda well too. Personally, I would love it if my 650 had that paint on it, then I would have probably not gotten a case with grips on it, and went for a more slim and fashion ready case.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    $100 consumer device vs. $600 business/professional device...I think there will be a difference.
    The 750v is about $242.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The 750v is about $242.
    Where did you get that number? VF is almost certainly paying a lot more for the 750v than that; it's hard to say how much because they don't reveal how much they're subsidizing the phone.
    http://www.vodafonebusinessshop.co.u....1&prodid=2869

Actually I think they said in another thread, the rate will come out to about $212.

http://www.vodafonebusinessshop.co.u....1&prodid=2869

Actually I think they said in another thread, the rate will come out to about $212.
    That's what end-consumers will pay, but we don't know what Palm's 750v customer (Vodafone) is paying per phone. You can't compare a phone's subsidized price against a PDA's non-subsidized price.
    The guy above said the 750v would be about $600. I was only saying it will be priced a lot lower. You asked me where I got the number from, that's where I found it. I really wonder why VF would only charge from free to $212(or whatever the exchange rate is now) for a $600 phone. I remember Palm saying they were going to introduce lower price point phones and I think this is one of them.

In UK subsidies are very high. I paid 100 ($180) for the HTC Universal (about $1000), and my contract isn't particularly expensive ($50 including unlimited data x 18 months)

The subsidized price doesn't tell us much about the real price.

Surur
    That's a HUGE loss. They must be making it up somehow.

What's the approximate factory price of the Universal, BTW? I mean before it goes to retail. It probably didn't cost $1000 to make.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/13/2006 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

What's the approximate factory price of the Universal, BTW? I mean before it goes to retail. It probably didn't cost $1000 to make.
    Thats likely why they have very few unlimited data plans.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.

Unless they tell us we dont know, but the imate jasjar costs 624 ($1167) at Expansys. If we take away 17% VAT thats $968 before tax. Assume Expansys adds a 20% markup that $775, which is not much more than the unlocked price of a Treo 700.

I doubt the carriers are making a loss.

Surur
    sorta back on point, sorta, I wish they would include a rubber tip or "nipple" if you will to the center button on the 5-way nav button.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Ironic that Palm finally does something about the slipperyness (sp?) of the Treo and now the complaints begin. I think it's high time they addressed this issue.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I think if Palm gave away free Ferrari Enzo's with each one someone would complain

It's answered one of my criticisms so I'm happy
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Unless they tell us we dont know, but the imate jasjar costs 624 ($1167) at Expansys. If we take away 17% VAT thats $968 before tax. Assume Expansys adds a 20% markup that $775, which is not much more than the unlocked price of a Treo 700.

I doubt the carriers are making a loss.

Surur
    You paid $200 for a $775 phone. How did they make up the $575? Must be with the plans. Although I always think carriers get a wholesale factory price. I think the manufacturers don't make the carriers pay retail.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Must be with the plans.
    Correct
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast